PDA

View Full Version : To Screw or not to screw.!

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Hello everyone, im pretty new here,been "lurking" for a bit and i have a question for you all.

im going to be building my first box here pretty soon and my dad thinks that i dont need to screw it together. He want to use Biscuit joints and mad glue instead of screw. We are into woodwork and the art of it and the box that im gonig to be building is be out of birch ply or so other hardwood finnish ply, and will be not covered with anything. varnish or stain.

But i was just wonding if this will hold up to the "beating" that boxes take.I will be using two type-r's(12's) and will be powered by a MRD-M1005 amp. What do you guys thinks? any input will be helpful.

thanks in advance.
-james

PowerNaudio
01-13-2007, 03:51 AM
i believe if done right it will hold up. since you guys are into woodworking im sure you can make the proper joints to hold the enclosure together.

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 03:56 AM
ya for sure. im just making sure, the ply isnt really cheap and i dont want to waste it, Just thought i would run it past a few ppl to see what they say, im sure we can make it work, ill post up some pics when its done, its a bit cold here in alberta right now(-20) lol

-James

iamamp3pimp
01-13-2007, 03:59 AM
id love to see pics of that.

i almost bought a buiscit joiner tool awhile back

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Ya, It is a good tool to have, we make lots of picture frames and stuff along those lines, it works magic. As soon as its done ill post up some pics.

-james

PowerNaudio
01-13-2007, 04:16 AM
you should post pics of the proses as well.

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 04:23 AM
lol, I can do that too. That seems to be the "kool" thing to do now a days anyways.

Ill keep you guys posted for sure.

-james

nismos14
01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Nice in for pics.

baseballer1100
01-13-2007, 12:27 PM
yeah i dont think you will need screws with a biscuit joint.

mokedaddy
01-13-2007, 12:28 PM
You should have no problem with the box holding together since even on a box with normal joints, the box is held together by glue and not the screws. The screws are only used to hold the box together while the glue dries.

Edit: Would love to see this when you are finished.

helotaxi
01-13-2007, 01:39 PM
That's exactly how I built my last box. Look here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206517 It's a real brick shithouse.

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh wicked, your system looks pretty soild. What kinda finnish did you us? or you just going to carpet or something like that? Thanks for all the responces guys. Like i said when im done ill post or some pics.

-james

helotaxi
01-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Temp setup. Would be a waste to cover it since it's coming out in a month or two for a more elaborate setup. It still looks just like the pics.

BlackRadon
01-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Ya, are you going to be carpeting your soon to be new box? Im still not sure what kinda hardwood finnish ply im going to use, im thinking about maple(burl) but it only comes is ,1/4inch so im dont know yet, im pretty open to what i use. But i think the maple would look ballin. the interior of my car is black, so the light colored wood would be nice.

Anyone here have a box that isnt carpeted or covered in some way? just varnish or stain?

-James

helotaxi
01-14-2007, 11:20 AM
You like doing nice wood work, build it out of whatever and then put a burl veneer on it. Varnish the crap out of the veneer and polish it up to look like the woodgrain trim in a Benz.

I love Banff, BTW!

CBFryman2
01-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello everyone, im pretty new here,been "lurking" for a bit and i have a question for you all.

im going to be building my first box here pretty soon and my dad thinks that i dont need to screw it together. He want to use Biscuit joints and mad glue instead of screw. We are into woodwork and the art of it and the box that im gonig to be building is be out of birch ply or so other hardwood finnish ply, and will be not covered with anything. varnish or stain.

But i was just wonding if this will hold up to the "beating" that boxes take.I will be using two type-r's(12's) and will be powered by a MRD-M1005 amp. What do you guys thinks? any input will be helpful.

thanks in advance.
-james

Screws dont offer much reenforcement once the glue has cured. Your dad is correct. In fact someone one here made a biscut box not too long ago. I've built a box with just glue and clamps...no biscuts and it held up fine.

azbass
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
mmmmmm Biscuit

helotaxi
01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
mmmmmm Biscuit

These biscuits aren't too good with honey though...haven't tried them with gravy.

BlackRadon
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
You like doing nice wood work, build it out of whatever and then put a burl veneer on it. Varnish the crap out of the veneer and polish it up to look like the woodgrain trim in a Benz.

I love Banff, BTW!

Ya that would be a good idea, make it looke ballin. Well ill be odering the wood this week and ill tell you what i get later, lol.

You been to banff before eh. thats awesome, ya its a pretty wicked little place. And grazy is good, mmmmmmm

-james

helotaxi
01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I lived in Great Falls, MT for a few years and the wife and I went up there for a little mini-vacation and my dad and I stoped through there on the motorcycles two summers ago. Beautiful country.

Tommyboy03
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
yeah alot of people prefer alot of glue over screws... i built mine with alot of glue and a few screws but i think yours will sound great. especially with the type r's you have goin in it. my box isnt carpeted yet mainly becuase im not exactly sure how:crap: ... anyways, id go with 3/4" MDF. its not the best looking wood but itll take a beating

BlackRadon
01-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Ya im thinking along the lines of maple burl. Its a bit on the pricey side at about $120 for a 4X8 sheet, if they can even get me a sheet, But here a pic of what it looks like if you dont know.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9608/burlmaplech9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Like i said before ill keep you guys posted. Plus im not 100% sure if they can get it for me soo we'll have to wait and see.

-james