PDA

View Full Version : yet another which comp set thread

skinnymofo
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
so i got a 2002 ram quad cab with the infinity sound, kdc -x889 head unit
the way the front looks right now, i got a 6 1/2 (although some of the online sites say 6 3/4 and even others say 6x9 which is total bullshit) a 4" on the front corners and a tweeter in the middle of the front dash.

originally i wanted to stay all infinity and was going to go with the kappa 607s
but ive been skimming through as many speaker threads as i can and now cant make a decision.

so far my list is
kappa 607s
kicker Rs series
cdt EF or CL
type X
and the diamond Hexes (these were my top choice but forum opinion seems to be pretty low of the newer diamond speakers)

out of those ive only heard the kappa and i liked it. most places up here dont have much to demo and pretty much blow you off when you say you just want to hear and your looking around,

i mostly listen to highly fuzzed/down tuned guitar, punk rock and rap.
too clear of speaker poses a problem just cause im lazy and mostly just load up cds with mp3s .
as far as power for them goes i got a jl 2150 and a RF p2002 so somewhere in the 75-120 rms range and the 150~200ish range for cash, i figure any higher and ill be blasting a lot of dead space with the tunes.
sorry its so long but i was trying to be thorough :)

Frankensuby
01-13-2007, 06:03 PM
You've ruled out Polk MOMO series? They fit your bill.
125RMS
Clean, clear, loud.
170$ relatively.

I'm running just the 5.25 Coaxes and they are crazy loud and clear at the same time. Unsealed and undeadened door too!

MMC6500 specs.
Overall Frequency Response 43Hz - 25kHz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Power Handling (continuous) 125 w
Power Handling (peak) 250 w
Efficiency 90 dB
Crossover 2.6kHz 2nd order High & Low Pass
Crossover Dimensions 6" x 3-5/8" x 1-1/2"
(15.24cm x 9.21cm x 3.81cm)
Voice Coil Diameter: Driver 1" (2.54cm)
Voice Coil Diameter: Tweeter 1" (2.54cm)
Mounting Depth: 2.5"

EDIT: ouch! Crutchfield has them at 270$, but Sonic Electronix has them at 180$. One has warranty, one doesn't. It would be your call ;)

63mopar
01-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Good choice to stay away from the Diamonds. I just replaced my Hex's with Rainbow CMX 265's and they are a much cleaner set. The Diamonds lacked midbass and detail. Also the back of the magnet rusted which I have learned is not an uncommon occurance. This seems like poor manufacturing and cheap materials which makes me wonder how the rest of the speaker is built. I have not had any experience with the others.

Good Luck!

thefunkybunch
01-13-2007, 10:20 PM
the dodge ram quad cabs are a 6x9 in the front doors, tweets in the dash, and 5 1/4 in the rear doors. don't believe it? pull the panel off, there's 1 philips in the triangle, 2 on the bottom edge, one dead center behind the lever, and a 10mm to pull out the lever. lift up on the panel and it'll pop right off. don't pull out, it's not push tabs, if you lift straight up it will slide right out. the boston SL95's do very, very well in those doors and are a great sounding speaker. rear fill is not nearly as important, a decent 5 1/4 will be fine, i just wouldn't go overboard and put something super nice in there. then do a pair of 10's or 12's underneath the back seat. all you need is a little fiberglass and about a day. stick the amps under the front seats, there's plenty of room, or you can put them also under the back seat, your choice, and if you go with 12's it'll be a tight fit if they're big amps.

the infinity amp is behind the glovebox, up on top of the blower. kind of a ***** to get your hands up there to unplug it, it honestly might be easier to just run new wires into the doors if you have fat hands. make sure you take that amp out of the equation though. it's just bad news if you leave it in.

good luck :)

baseballer1100
01-13-2007, 10:23 PM
im getting the re re comps set. ill let you know how it is.

matrxx dude
01-13-2007, 10:27 PM
i got a set of re comps in my exploder,they rock.

baseballer1100
01-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Do they come with crossovers?

matrxx dude
01-13-2007, 10:33 PM
yup

baseballer1100
01-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Sweet. But i dunno what im going to do with them lol. Now i wish i would have kept the 9856 and not bought the 880prs. lol.

matrxx dude
01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
i put the crossovers under the armrest when i took off the door panels,you dont like the 880.

skinnymofo
01-14-2007, 12:03 AM
i swear the front door panel was 6.5 i pulled it off to put on a new passenger mirror about 2 months ago.
as far as subs and amps im pretty much covered a d6 10 built to spec in a ported corian box and a cvx 10 in a small sealed corian with a d3 800.1 powering it (but i am borrowing a hifonics 2006bd atm)
i hadnt even really thought about the polks, i just switched to polk for home audio in december.

also atm i got the sub amp under my driver seat and will have the speaker ones in a hidden compartment in the middle bench. although i am playing around with the idea of running my subs through to the bed and mounting the amps under the rear passenger seats.

thefunkybunch
01-14-2007, 10:37 PM
the grill on the door panel is round, but i have yet to see a newer body style ram that is not a 6x9 in the front doors. not saying they might not exist... anything is possible, but i have never seen one that was not a 6x9, and i can not even begin to count how many i have worked on. hundreds of them at least...

rammin
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
I have the 03 ram QC and its 6x9 front but im putting 6.5" comps in there