PDA

View Full Version : Crutchfield help! components

timpact14
01-13-2007, 12:02 AM
need help choosing a set of 2way components set. I have a $500 gift certificate to crutchfield(long story)so i wanna narrow it down from their selection. I wanna go with a 6.5" i want it to sound very crispy and live. I plan on running 2-jl audio 6wo subs on my kicks for mid bass probably tuned to abt 60hz...im definetely looking for sq. i'll be feeding them abt 100wtts rms @4ohms n running them on the doors...

here's what i came up with

polk audio MMC6500, BA's PRO60 or MB Quart Q-line OSD216...now it seems that every1 prefers the Polk SR6500..if they are that great i don't mind spending the extra cash for them...but at the same time i was considering the MMC6500 to use the remaining for othr stuff..

ALSO,
im able to get my hands on some JL Audio ZR650-csi(trade for the gc)...i've heard the VR line before and liked the sound...anyone heard these b4? how will they compare to the MMC6500?..

The doors have have been sealed with dynamat xtreme inner/outer layer. I listen to all sorts of music....thx for advise in advance. :D

Rich B
01-13-2007, 12:09 AM
How about........

Kenwood 25th Anniversary XXV-04S
6-3/4" component speaker system

Item #113XXV04S
In Stock
$249.99

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/113/h113XXV04S-o_****.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jrXDoFZOml9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=113XXV04S:drool:

:drool:

timpact14
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
interesting??...funny u mentioned these 'cuz those were another set i left out that i considered...have u or any1 else here heard these b4?...wonder if the tweets are too harsh..:confused:

Rich B
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
No, I havent heard them.

I just think they are beautiful.

Heres something from the original press release about them-

[25th anniversary special models]
On the 25th anniversary of its entry into the car electronics business, Kenwood is producing special models "25th Anniversary Model Series," which the Sound Meister, the pride of the company, developed by combining high fidelity technologies accumulated over many years. Kenwood will promote sales of the new models worldwide, launching them in the Americas, Europe and Asia (except Japan) from May.
The "25th Anniversary Model Series" is a high-end series which offers a full lineup of products, including a TV/DVD receiver, CD receiver, stereo power amplifier and speaker system. They feature the high fidelity that could only be realized by the skills of Sound Meister and incorporate a sophisticated, luxurious design.

Speaker system XXV-04S approx. US$900 :eek:

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/en/news/press_usa_20050112.html

Rochambeau
01-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Pro60s... versatile, clean & loud. Hard to go wrong with them. Haven't heard the other sets though.

Here is a review on the Polks... http://tinyurl.com/y3uxyh

Then in their 'year in review' edition they said this:

Pure excellence is a pretty strong way to start off a test report, but the SR6500's couldn't have impressed us more. (Well, if the guys at Polk could churn these babies out with an MSRP less than $899, they probably would squeeze a little more admiration from us). Using cutting-edge materials and technology, Polk Audio's audiophile-grade components rival some of the best home speakers I've heard in the areas of detail, dynamics and imaging, reviewer Bob Morrow states. If you can't afford these easy-to-install components now, wait till you can save up enough to take them home.

Question is, are they worth the extra $300? If you listen to a fair amount of jazz or other very intricate, detailed music I would give the Polks a go. As always, if you can find a way to actually listen to them, all the better.

I don't know what Crutchfield's return policy is, but maybe you can always send speakers back if you don't like them.

timpact14
01-13-2007, 01:18 AM
abt the kenwood's...im a little iffy abt them, there's a reason why they retailed them b4 for abt $700-$900 n now are only $300..they look awesome, but big at the same time...

re the polks, they seem to be some of the best outhere....but the price is up there...

PremierAudio
01-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Steer clear of the Kenwoods. They were very bass heavy speakers with little midrange and obtrusive tweets. you can get just about any 150.00 component set to compare with them. With that said, go with the Bostons or the Polks. They are both amazing speakers, with Boston having more midbass and power handling. If you do not have a big amp, go with the Polks.

timpact14
01-13-2007, 01:39 PM
cool...thx for the advise. What abt the Polks MMC6500?..mainly bcz of the price. any1 have any feed back on the JL zr's?

thefunkybunch
01-13-2007, 09:03 PM
i have been in the industry for some time, and had experience with most of what you listed... here's my .02

the kenwoods ****. steer clear.
the quarts sound o.k. but the tweets seem a bit on the harsh side, and it's not a real 'natural' sound for lack of a better word.
the polks i found to be very flat and lifeless sounding. they didn't have the 'snap' that i personally prefer.

of what you listed, i would either do the boston pro's or the jl audio ZR's, depending on what kind of music you listen to. if you listen to a lot of rap, and like lots of tweet, the pro's are right up your alley. they are still a great sounding speaker, but their tweets are a bit on the harsh side. in my jetta, i was debating on the pro's or the Z6's. i ended up going with the Z's for the following reasons...
the tweets are WAAAAAAAAAAY smoother than the pro's
the midbass is quite a bit more pronounced
they are a warmer, more natural sounding speaker. but for almost twice the money, they better be :)

i told you that to tell you this...
the jl audio ZR's are right between the pro's and the Z's. they're way smoother than the pro's, and a more natural sound, but they lack the warm creamy sound that the Z's have. don't get me wrong, they are an incredible sounding set, and i'd probably take those over everything else listed, but they just aren't quite up to the level of the Z's yet... i am excited to hear the new Z's though... will probably have to **** up and buy a set.

just one man's opinion :)

Rochambeau
01-14-2007, 09:04 AM
i ended up going with the Z's for the following reasons...
the tweets are WAAAAAAAAAAY smoother than the pro's
the midbass is quite a bit more pronounced
they are a warmer, more natural sounding speaker. but for almost twice the money, they better be :)

I thought the Pro60s had more midbass when I had them in my car (briefly before I toasted the woofs). Still, I prefer the Z6s overall because, as you say, they are soooo smooth, though I wish they had more life in the midbass freqs. However, I am currently running them without proper sound deadening in the doors and am withholding final judgement as to whether or not I will be adding midbass for when I get a chance to hear them with the doors and cabin deadened.

OldOneEye
01-14-2007, 01:31 PM
I would say the best value of the bunch is the Quart. Since they have a good return policy, try them and see. The MMC and Bostons are regular price so comparing them at the same price points as the Quart stuff isn't really fair.

Juan

theothermike
01-14-2007, 03:35 PM
go with polk sr's only if u go with polk, imo mb quarts are harsh due to titanium type of tweet. boston z6 are very nice too with lots of power

timpact14
01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
im definetely steering towards the Polks SR's or the Pro60's, crutchfield does nt carry the Z6's....this is going to sound funny, but i can also use my gc for amazon.com purchases...anything in there that might be worth it?...The CDT comps show unavailable...any suggestions?

jmanpc
01-14-2007, 04:11 PM
MB Quart QSD216's are amazing. I don't think their tweeters are bad at all. Just position them correctly (They love the kicks, not A-pillars... unless you can control them accordingly) They are very clear.

thefunkybunch
01-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought the Pro60s had more midbass when I had them in my car (briefly before I toasted the woofs). Still, I prefer the Z6s overall because, as you say, they are soooo smooth, though I wish they had more life in the midbass freqs. However, I am currently running them without proper sound deadening in the doors and am withholding final judgement as to whether or not I will be adding midbass for when I get a chance to hear them with the doors and cabin deadened.

deadening the doors will make a significant difference, tuning will make a big difference, as well and perhaps you need some more power to them. i actually had to EQ out some of the midbass because it was a little too overbearing. what amp are you running to them, and where are they crossed over at? i was running a boston GT22 on the mids, and a GT20 on the tweets, crossed over at between 50 and 63hz with a 12db slope. when i turned my subs off, it still sounded like there was a 10" sub in the center console.

do some tweaking around with them and you'll get more midbass than you can handle :) the pro's will hang with the Z's... until you start crankin it. then the Z's pull away from them like no other :)

thefunkybunch
01-14-2007, 09:31 PM

definitely deaden the doors and do a bit of tuning. how much power are you running on them? i was running a GT22 on the mids, and a GT20 on the tweets. i actually had to EQ the midbass down a bit because it was a bit overpowering. even after that point, i could turn my subs off, and it still sounded like there was a 10 in the center console. very impressive :) definitely deaden the **** outta the doors, and do some tuning and you'll have more midbass than you can handle :)

timpact14
01-15-2007, 06:32 PM
well the polk sr6500 it is...hope i like them. Thx for all the hlp guys!

OldOneEye
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
well the polk sr6500 it is...hope i like them. Thx for all the hlp guys!

If you need a deal, please let me know.

Juan

timpact14
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
what r u asking for them..

khmer_rouge
01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Interesting thread, I bet noone here knows that the doctor/engineer that designed the QSD's also designed the Pros and the Z series for Boston. Im friends with a fella at Boston Acoustics that was telling me about it.

I have the QSD's. If you are running them without any kind of adjustments, then yes they are harsh. If you have the ability to tweak, you can get rid of the harshness and they will blend beautifully. The mids are amazing.

Rochambeau
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
deadening the doors will make a significant difference, tuning will make a big difference, as well and perhaps you need some more power to them. i actually had to EQ out some of the midbass because it was a little too overbearing. what amp are you running to them, and where are they crossed over at? i was running a boston GT22 on the mids, and a GT20 on the tweets, crossed over at between 50 and 63hz with a 12db slope. when i turned my subs off, it still sounded like there was a 10" sub in the center console.

do some tweaking around with them and you'll get more midbass than you can handle :) the pro's will hang with the Z's... until you start crankin it. then the Z's pull away from them like no other :)

I am running an Alpine PDX 4.150 bridged delivering 314wrms to each Z6, crossed at 80mhz with an 18db slope. I have attenuated the tweets -4db via the EQ for now. Once I get all my deadening done, I will re-tune them.