PDA

View Full Version : Focal vs CDT vs Germaniums

BMW Sidewayz
01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello Everyone. My first time on this Forums. Im looking to clear up some things. Which ones come on top going by first in order. I'm so convinced that Focals have amazing SQ and detail, but I just want to get a second opinion. I have compared Focals to far more powerful and way expensive comps side by side using same amp (125 RMS) and playing the same song in the same car and the results were amazing. I was Extreemly impresed by the Focals. Any one ?

Sound Quality
The detail reproduction ( a drum or snare)
Loudness
How clear it plays at high volumes
Price
Anything under $550.00

crazy4ozs
01-12-2007, 08:40 PM
hm...id go 4 the germs..but then again i am a CDT owner myself...tough choice...ive never herd focal so i cant voice my opinion on those

BMW Sidewayz
01-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Thanks for being honest with your opinion. Im stuck with Focals cuz I had such a great experience with them. Its like beingh p*ssy whooped.:p:

Im putting a system together, I just bought a 2000 BMW 328Ci, wich takes 6.5 all around. Right now I have the following speakers:

K2p 165 KF 6.5 Focal comp 80 RMS

130v Slim 5.25 Focal comp 60 RMS

KEF KAR Q160 6.5 UNI-Q DRIVER . <--- Very Rare, I mean RARE!!! Expensive too!!!

MB Quarts QM130 (RWC 130) 40 RMS.

JL 1000/1

JL 300/4

Looking to buy the Kenwood DDX-8017 and a single sub, maybe a 13W7 or RE XXX!!!

tukn18s
01-12-2007, 09:33 PM
alot of people are going to suggest the germs, its the set that I am currently saving for, because it seems like everybody loves them on here.

joetama
01-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I think that you really couldn't go too wrong with the Focal, CDT or Germaniums. Personally after finally hearing the CDT's at CES I would go with those. Very very true and very clear....

crazy4ozs
01-12-2007, 09:55 PM
no JL W7...i wudnt go with the XXX either, lol...mabye TC Sounds...or AA (their updating)...

slick rick
01-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I had CDT's...and switched to Germs...and I have NEVER looked back. :)

WhoSayWho?
01-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm so convinced that Focals have amazing SQ and detail,

I have compared Focals to far more powerful and way expensive comps side by side using same amp (125 RMS) and playing the same song in the same car and the results were amazing.

I was Extreemly impresed by the Focals.

Sounds like to me the Focals might be the way to go for you. If I had just heard components that I felt were amazing, I doubt that any opinion that someone gave about speakers I had not yet heard would sway me.

bigmac16
01-13-2007, 12:01 AM
for a little more, you might look at the rainbow profi's

crazy4ozs
01-13-2007, 12:04 AM
a LITTLE bit more?

bigmac16
01-13-2007, 01:19 AM
I might be wrong, but i thought the profi's are around $100 more, might be worth looking into, that would be a personal choice,I h ave oz,digital designs,cdt hd's, cdt 07's, avi's, and rainbow profi's, the rainbows are my favorite with avi's next,Never heard the germaniums so can't judge them

BMW Sidewayz
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
I guess the type of music that you listen to would play the most important role and in this case I listen to everything, but what make my ears open up is Acoustic Jazz and the folkloric music from the Dominican Republic " merengue typico" from the No. 1 artist El Prodigio:naughty: , ussually recorded live in High quility wich has Crazy highs and Trembling drums and Strong voices. Just giving you all an Idea.

bigmac16
01-13-2007, 01:40 AM
buying speakers is pretty subjective, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you, its all personal preference.

BMW Sidewayz
01-13-2007, 01:53 AM
You know what, ur def right. If I was wealthy enuff, I would go out and buy the 2 and compare them myself. Because I compared the Lowest line 6.5 Focal components to the Phoenix Gold Titanium elite and the difference was alot... Not to mention the Focals were Rated at 70 RMS and the Titanium Elite 6 at 150 RMS, while I was over powering the Focals wit 125 rms and still sounded xcellent, I'm sticking wit Focals!! I love JM Labs!!!!

To claim that your The Spirit of Sound??!!!!, Now Thats DEEP!!!!

enzowho
01-13-2007, 04:03 AM
I was Extreemly impresed by the Focals.
Sounds like you found yourself a winner then. I would personally take the Germs because the Focals hurt my ears. Clarity on both is excellent though. Never heard/owned any of CDT's stuff.

buying speakers is pretty subjective, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you, its all personal preference
True to to a certain extent, but be careful how far you take that. Lets do a little compare and contrast between say speakers and music. Music is created to portray emotion, ideas and sound pleasing. This can be subjectively evaluated. For example I love listening to Bonobo but my roommate thinks it crap. The lyrics, the rhythm, the vocals, the instruments...that is a purely subjective decision.

Now lets move to speakers, which are created only for replication. The speaker is not there to portray its own "emotion" if you will. It either correctly replicates the original sound or it does not. Yes, people have unique tastes, but generally those are limited to how aggressive the speaker is (volume (or volume in specific frequency ranges) and "brightness" come to mind). Too many people go beyond this though and suggest every attribute of a speaker is subjective.

This is not the case because speakers can be mathematically analyzed. Flaws in replication and distortion can easily be seen by viewing frequency response, CSD and harmonic distortion graphs. A 9db peak at 1kHz will sound bad/annoying to anybody who is critically listening to music (as I would assume somebody interested in spending 500 on a pair of components would do).

So yes, certain speaker attributes are indeed subjective, and that's why you should always listen to equipment before you purchase it. There are inherently better and worse products out there though and fortunately in the case of speakers, can be analyzed. Sorry for the rant guys, I just think lots of people take the subjectivity thing too far.

1 Hugh Jass
01-13-2007, 08:40 AM
Everyone's ears are different, but a lot of people like the Focals. I listened to every component set that all of my local shops had and I kept coming back to the Focals. I ended up buying the 165 v1 the other day. Not the top of the line by any means, but to me, they sounded the best. Plus, they were the display model and I got them for $140.00!!!
I also have a set of CDTs sitting on a shelf so I can honestly say I like the Focals better.

2kchevy06civic
01-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I haven't heard anything from the list except for Focals and I can say that focals can be nice but they can be very harsh at times.

PremierAudio
01-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I personally have ran all of them. With Focal and Rainbow as my personal favorites, as well as our employees favorites. Which is why we are trying to aquire Focal products. There are a few subtle differences between the two, but they are actually fairly similiar. Yes, the Focals do have a brighter mid - high, but it is give and take on how well you tune them. The Rainbows are a little more warm sounding and are very smooth on the high end, they also seem to have more accurate midbass. The Focal seem to get a little muddy down low. But everyone that usually listens to them, after long hard decision seems to lean towards the Rainbows.

theothermike
01-13-2007, 10:10 AM
i got myself some cdt hd-642, but it was a good deal at the time, if i went 2 way, rainbow would be for me, however, i think cdt makes some of the best 3 ways cause their mid ranges are very nice for a component set meaning when used passive. (there are better mid ranges but thats diy)

djdilliodon
01-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I think that you really couldn't go too wrong with the Focal, CDT or Germaniums. Personally after finally hearing the CDT's at CES I would go with those. Very very true and very clear....

Did you hear the cdt bmw or the crossfire ?

civic si
01-13-2007, 04:21 PM
i think focal and mb quart are tops for speaker components.....they expensive but depends on the material they put on the items i mean the magnets are little man you know but they tight...my buddy got mb quart he pounding loud bass man...forreals he got a us am crossover and that is bad man...i mean it work good mb Quart is top man....

BMW Sidewayz
01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=enzowho;2645176]Sounds like you found yourself a winner then. I would personally take the Germs because the Focals hurt my ears. Clarity on both is excellent though. Never heard/owned any of CDT's stuff.

True to to a certain extent, but be careful how far you take that. Lets do a little compare and contrast between say speakers and music. Music is created to portray emotion, ideas and sound pleasing. This can be subjectively evaluated. For example I love listening to Bonobo but my roommate thinks it crap. The lyrics, the rhythm, the vocals, the instruments...that is a purely subjective decision.

This makes lots of sence. I guess Nex time Im ready to move on to another brand will be the day that I listen to a better set with my own ears!!! Thanx ENZOWHO
and by the way what kinda car is that in ur Avatar???

SQChevy
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I think you would be extremely happy with Focals. You have listened to them and enjoy them which is important. I plan on running a set of either K2's or maybe Be's, depending on tax return, in my daily driver. I already have the Be's in my competition vehicle. They sound amazing. I'm extremely happy with the K2's as well.

Orion Man
01-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Off topic, but who makes the germaniums? Link to website?

slick rick
01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Rainbow does...

enzowho
01-15-2007, 04:17 PM
by the way what kinda car is that in ur Avatar???
Lotus Exige built for the Pacific Tour. You can find Rainbow's site here (www.rainbow-audio.de).

3.5Max6spd
01-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Stick to the theme.

German car deserves the best in German HiFi. Rainbow can dice it and slice it any way you like- they have plenty of speaker lines.

If you like the sound of Focal K2P's, you MUST listen to the Rainbow Vanadiums- some similar traits, but you will appreciate that tweeter in terms of listening fatigue concerns. They also are alot easier to tune. They can handle fast, loud dynamic content without skipping a beat at very high volume levels or sacrificing high freq extension . They also have some of the tightest, strongest kick bass out there. Their dome also allows better off axis dispersion than the funky K2P tweeter grill layout-allowing easier integration to certain install locations.

Its great to buy something you know you like. But theres also something to be said about experiencing other things in life. You seem local to me, I'd be glad to audition my fronstage for you so you can get a taste of the Rainbow;)

Hintzyboy
01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
I had CDT's...and switched to Germs...and I have NEVER looked back. :)

To be fair though, I believe the CDTs you ran were the CL-61s (since i bought the from you;) ). Could be wrong though. Hoever, if that is the case, then you can't really compare them to the Germs as they are in very different positions in the companies' lineups.

slick rick
01-17-2007, 12:42 PM
To be fair though, I believe the CDTs you ran were the CL-61s (since i bought the from you;) ). Could be wrong though. Hoever, if that is the case, then you can't really compare them to the Germs as they are in very different positions in the companies' lineups.

This I know...and considering the CDT's were about 1/3 the price of the Germs they are a good deal. :)

Hintzyboy
01-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Anyone ever compare the CDT ES or HD lines to the Germs?? Those might be a better comparison.

Echo42987
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Focals....

-Nick-

theothermike
01-17-2007, 06:40 PM
There will be a review of my cdt hd-642 3 ways soon, but i know 100% i would have gone with the rainbow so i didnt have to worry about kicks, and the amount of tuning instead.

Mike