PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Rings/Apadters question

SpdDmn713
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
i am putting a set of 6.5 components in my front doors of my Tahoe and I know that i have to have some kind of adapter to go from the 5.25 stock speaker to my new 6.5. I had originally thought just to buy the little crappy plastic adapters but then decided to cut rings out of 1/2" mdf. Then while i was surfing around this morning I stumbled on these from Able Audio

http://www.able-audio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_22_39&products_id=28

I know that I sound like the stupid noob that I am, but I just wanted to make sure that these will clear up the space that i need. I am thinking that with the change in angle and that thickest part is 3/4" instead of 1/2" I should be fine. I just wanted to see if i could pick someone's brain that has used something like these as a size adapter before.

iceteebone
01-09-2007, 01:20 PM
never heard of converting 5.25 to 6.5. you'll have to come out more the 3/4 of an inch for the speaker to fit. what is the diameter of the magnet?

SpdDmn713
01-09-2007, 01:29 PM
I am putting these in:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4596

The speakers are at home and I won't be able to check magnet diameter until i get home tonight. But, everywhere that I checked said 6.5 would fit it just needed a mounting adapter

***got to love the way a misspelled 'adapter' Ha

tdawg30
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
hell make ur own. I just made some 6.5s fit in where my 4x6s were so it can be done. just use the half in and it should raise it enough to where your magnet and all other diameters shouldnt matter since the hole before it was 5 in in diameter. unless u have beefed up 6.5s with a 5in diam magnet then ur ok. trust me it should work, and if not then whats a whole 10 minutes wasted making the rings instead of paying 18+ for somethin else you dont even know will work.

I had to do some cutting with the dremel but it was well worth it. go out and be a craftsman!!!!!!!!!!!

tdawg30
01-09-2007, 01:31 PM
do what i said and ur fine.

iceteebone
01-09-2007, 01:31 PM
you can make it work but you'll need the spacer to come out far enough to where the speaker will fit in the hole. i imagine the magnet would fit in the hole, but the basket is probably gonna be larger then the hole

FLOSSINON24S
01-10-2007, 04:56 AM
what year is your tahoe? Im not sure on the 2007s but all the older ones have oversized 6.5"s.