PDA

View Full Version : Deadening about to begin...use XTC baffles?

phenryiv1
01-09-2007, 09:50 AM
I am about to install my components in my doors, and want to protect them from dirt and water. I looked into using XTC baffles, and searched on here for more info. The general consesus is to cut a hole out of the bottom or back to allow the mids to operate in a more IB setup, as opposed to a small sealed enclosure.

I also read the sound deadening thread, which recommends using a deflex pad or egg crate foam behind the speaker to break up the wave that comes off of the back of the speaker (preventing a standing wave, I guess).

My question is this: If I use the baffles (to protect the speaker from water), will this also serve as a first layer of foam deadening to help break up the wave created behind the speaker? Does this mean that I don't need a deflex or egg carton pad behind the driver?

I ask this because I was going to use a teklite or ensolite pad on the whole outer doorskin, and I'd like to avoid the deflex or egg carton pad.

DejaWiz
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
You'd be surprised at how resilient speakers are to weather phenomenon. Some people say go all out and protect against water, others say it's not mandatory. Me, I say do whatever you feel is comfortable and affordable.

As for speaker pads, check out the Second Skin Speaker Kit Door Pads. Comes with 2 pads, 2 sheets of 11" x 11" Damplifier, and some adhesive for $25. Killer deal. www.secondskinaudio.com

Dawson
01-09-2007, 10:34 AM
^^^ why do that when you can get 2 Sq Ft of edead V1^2 for $2 and 2 sq ft of edead v4 for $4???? that'd equal about $10-$12 after shipping

DejaWiz
01-09-2007, 10:44 AM
^^ 'cause eD is the devil, mama! :p::D

phenryiv1
01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I just keep getting mixed reviews on the longevity of the adhesive of the eDead.

I want to use about 2-3 yards of a foam barrier and about 30-35 sq feet of a mass deadener. (On top of this, I have about 40-45 sq feet of base eDead V1 and B-quiet that I can install, but I don't reall fully trust either one for use in doors.)

eDead is cheaper than RAAMmat or Second Skin, and the foam is 1/4" v 1/8" (and it is pre-adhesived), but the deadener (eDeadV1SE2) is getting mixed reviews. I am waiting on a quote for ensolite and BXT from Rick. Second Skin is highly erecommended, but unless there is hidden forum pricing, it is a LOT more costly than either other option.

The deflex pads are a good option, but from what I read, using the 1/4" closed cell foam (like teklite) is almost the same thing, under normal operating conditions. Even the 1/8" ensolite is similar in results.

I may pass on the XTC baffles altogether and devote that $ to more deadening. My frustration is that I am likely only keeping the car for about another year, and deadening is the one part of audio that you CAN'T take with you...

DejaWiz
01-09-2007, 10:52 AM
RAAMmat would be another excellent choice.

beckSHO
01-09-2007, 05:09 PM
RAAMmat would be another excellent choice.

Agreed.

I used some on my bro's car as well as my own. It is rather easy to work with, and is fairly affordable. The RAAMmat was easy to cut, lay-down, and didn't smell. Performance of the RAAMmat is very good. Before my brother bought it, he had a lot of rattles in his trunk. With only about 30 sq. ft in his trunk, not even a full layer, he has next to no rattles.

As for mine, I haven't recieved my sub yet. Howerver, I have a fairly loud exhaust; a V8 exhaling through a pair of Flowmaster original 40 series. It sounds good I might add. Before I laid down the RAAMmat, the exhaust was rather loud inside the cabin. Having put a layer in my trunk, the exhaust is hardly noticeable from inside. All I hear is a deep but faint burble at idle. Only until I get up to 3400rpms, when the secoundaries open, do I hear the exhaust.

In my opinion; a very good product, exceptional customer service, and a good deal.

The only con I've found so far: possibly having to spend more money on my exhaust.... :cool:

Beck