PDA

View Full Version : Is deadening THAT essential with a set of Crystal SSCS6's?

Latina33
01-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Just want to get some opinions on whether it will make that much of a noticeable sound difference if my doors aren't deadened when I install my Crystals.

dleccord
01-08-2007, 01:52 PM
depends if you need mids in your music or not.

nismos14
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Deadening is a must.

strong*I*bumpin
01-08-2007, 03:06 PM
unless u like the sound of metal rattling...;)

phyphoestilic
01-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Deadening really does make a difference. sounds so much better

Motovet
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Any speaker deserves at least a little deadening. If your like me though you end up doing the whole interior.

Latina33
01-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your responses! I currently have an older Focal component set installed in my car with no deadening at all, and the midbass actually sounds pretty decent, to me. I've got a 12" sub, and for the metal/rock that I usually am listening to, altogether it sounds good.

I guess I need to find a couple of people locally who have a similar setup as mine and listen to how theirs sounds to really get an idea of the difference that it makes. I'm just not keen on spending $300 to have a shop do the deadening, and I honestly don't have any interest in doing it myself.

nismos14
01-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Why don't you stick with the focal's and get some deadening done, you may be more than happy.

Latina33
01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Why don't you stick with the focal's and get some deadening done, you may be more than happy.

Well, I'm actually gonna be moving into a Montero Sport LS in the semi-near future, so as far as deadening goes, that's the ride I'd want to do it in. The Focals sound really nice, but they are a couple of years old. I just bought a pair of the Crystals a couple of weeks back fron Tuan (thanks again man!), and I plan on having those installed in the Montero. My Dad's going to be upgrading his system in his truck, and he's gonna need a set of components, so I'm planning on giving the Focals to him for his birthday. He listens to a lot of 60's-70's rock, so the Focals should blow his mind playing that music.

///M5
01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
IMO deadening is more important than the drivers. If you want midbass it is a necessity. A reasonable set of drivers in a deadened door will outperform a great set of drivers in a non-deadened door. It all comes down to install and this is a major part of it. Blocking off all of the cavity holes and baffling your speaker are critical too.

T3mpest
01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your responses! I currently have an older Focal component set installed in my car with no deadening at all, and the midbass actually sounds pretty decent, to me. I've got a 12" sub, and for the metal/rock that I usually am listening to, altogether it sounds good.

I guess I need to find a couple of people locally who have a similar setup as mine and listen to how theirs sounds to really get an idea of the difference that it makes. I'm just not keen on spending $300 to have a shop do the deadening, and I honestly don't have any interest in doing it myself.

I'd say a 300 dollar component in a deadened door can easily sound better than a 600 speaker in a well treated door panel. I'd do it myself, 300 for deading is a bit expesive, it takes 0 ability, just time. I guess it depends how much your time is worth to you. I'd rather spend a weekened doing it myself, but if you have no real freetime that might be hard to swing.