PDA

View Full Version : Magnet touching back of box

naiku
01-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Hoping someone can help me out with a box building question........ I have about 6" of depth for my box to go into, my sub has a mounting depth of 5" if I use 1/2" MDF by the time I add both sides of the box I get 1" add that to my 5" mounting depth and I am right at 6"

So if the magnet of my sub is touching the back of the box is that going to cause me all sorts of problems?

I can possibly squeeze out another half inch, but not sure yet. The box is going beneath the rear seat of a truck, and half of the box is going to be over the transmission hump (this is the part where I only have 6") the sub itself will be towards the side (where I have almost 8" and enough space with a 6" deep box to cover the subs excursion). If I need to I can maybe add a small step to the box so one half is deeper than the other, but would prefer to stick with the simple box design.

Thanks.

mattmcss
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
does the sub have a pole vent for cooling ? (hole in the middle of the magnet)

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
You need room behind the magnet, at the minimum the width of the pole vent.

Ali1
01-08-2007, 12:36 PM
put a triple baffle.......

naiku
01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
does the sub have a pole vent for cooling ? (hole in the middle of the magnet)

Yes, I believe that it does (can't look right now, at work) its an eD 11kv.2

put a triple baffle.......

I have no idea what you mean.......

jmanpc
01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Ali was saying make the piece of wood you mount the sub on thicker to allow more room behind the sub

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
The problem with a triple baffle is that unless you have a large speaker with a good mounting depth, you really don't want to start choking off the backwave. In home audio, you can prevent this by running a chamfer along the rear of the baffle, but I'm not sure about with your speaker. I won't pass judgment without knowing what it is, but I'd just make a new box personally, or change up the dimensions if possible. My .02 :)

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
And also, you do not want to use .5" MDF either.

Ali1
01-08-2007, 12:45 PM
or even a quad baffle... however much space you need, just keep throwing another baffle on top........

just make copies of your first front piece.... then glue all of them together so it's one big baffle......

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
or even a quad baffle... however much space you need, just keep throwing another baffle on top........

just make copies of your first front piece.... then glue all of them together so it's one big baffle......
No. Don't advise that.

Cahm Rohn
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Thats how I turned my old t9512 box into a 15Mt box triple baffle+resin FTMFW

Ali1
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
similar to what this guy did..... you see the front piece?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178790&highlight=triple+baffle

Ali1
01-08-2007, 12:49 PM
No. Don't advise that.

or maybe not

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Yes, but both of those subs won't be badly affected by having 3" of wood to deal with, versus a speaker that's got half of itself in the wood.

PatFitz9
01-08-2007, 12:51 PM
if he had room for a tripple baffle he would just make the box that tall... and i'm guessing that this is going under the seat in a pickup, so the room he has is it. i would try fiberglassing a box to save room, or reconsider your sub.

CBFryman2
You need room behind the magnet, at the minimum the width of the pole vent.

I'd say 1/2 to 1/3 would be the minimum. Some woofers dont absolutely need a pole vent either.

Cahm Rohn
Good point.

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 12:53 PM
or maybe not
It's not that it's bad, you can't just throw four pieces of one on top of each other and expect the speaker to not be affected. A double baffle I can understand, but four?

naiku
01-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies, think I need to rethink my box plans. I already have the sub, and know that it will fit without a seat lift, just need to figure out how to create the box.

IIRC I have close to 8" beneath the seat where the sub will actually be, will just have to make my box less of a straight rectangle and more of a smaller rectangle on the side of a bigger one :)

PatFitz9
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
measure twice cut once ;) you'll figure it out

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I'd say 1/2 to 1/3 would be the minimum. Some woofers dont absolutely need a pole vent either.
This I know, I was referring to if it happens to have one. :)

CBFryman2
01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
This I know, I was referring to if it happens to have one. :)

I was refering to some woofers who have one, but one which can be pluged with out a large effect on performance. :)

The ascendant audio assasin is a good example. Chad said himself that the assasin actually performed better in some aspects but when pushing the drivers thermally that allowing the pole vent to breethe is optimal...in low powered applications it wouldnt make a difference.

I'm not aware of the design of his eD sub and it is a one in one hundred chance that he could just plug the pole vent with little or no problems at all. But it is something he could always try. :)

Trying things is always the way to go IMO. If it wherent then small sealed boxes would still be the loud ones. :D MDF is cheap so rebuilding, especially small boxes like that, is no big deal. :)

Personally I would do 1/2" MDF all the way around and do a double baffle up front. This will give an extra 1/2" of space behind the woofer. Brace well and listen to the box before carpeting an what not. If nothing funky is going on then carpet and be done. KV's arent exactly beast woofers so 1/2" for a single 10" should be "ok" :)

PV Audio
01-08-2007, 10:19 PM
I agree, the only way to figure it out is to do it yourself and see how it turns out.