PDA

View Full Version : 6.5" replacement Comps

Frankensuby
01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm aiming to upgrade my components come summertime. I'm currently running a set of Alpine Type-R 6.5" components for the front, but I want something that doesn't distort so early.

I was looking into The Polk MOMO 6500's, but I've heard they lack midbass. I need something that is going to handle full power at roughly 70 Hz. My R's can barely handle 80Hz at 75% power. I don't know if this is achievable, but I'd like to get close to it atleast.

I'm looking to spend roughly 180$, and I will E-bay, Sonic Electronix, etc... wherver they are cheapest BNIB :)

Suggestions? :naughty:

Frankensuby
01-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I forgot to mention that I'll be grabbing the Kicker SX900.4 come summer as well. But the Audiobahn specs are not bad for this amp, it is just a bit underpowered. All other features check out side to side with other amps at 180 bucks shipped (it also has .02% THD @ RMS 4-ohms). The only thing is that I didn't get to tune the channels on the audiobahn because when I tried, I fried the RCA outputs on the HU (ground cable fell out of amp...my bad).

I have gains sitting at 75% turned on a 2.2v preout signal.

Hoodlum007
01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3341 :yumyum:

albarran9
01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
I'v got R's and havent had any problems running them at vol 22 off a my head unit being run by a mtx amp. Are your doors deadned? befor my mtx which is 100 x 2 wrms, i had my type r's running offa alpine amp which did 50 x2 wrms and I could run the amp and the comps up all they way all day and they would not make a fuss. the comps are like 65 or 70 wrms and that bauhn amp should be for than enought to push them, but with really bad signal coming from that amp what do you expect?

Frankensuby
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I'v got R's and havent had any problems running them at vol 22 off a my head unit being run by a mtx amp. Are your doors deadned? befor my mtx which is 100 x 2 wrms, i had my type r's running offa alpine amp which did 50 x2 wrms and I could run the amp and the comps up all they way all day and they would not make a fuss. the comps are like 65 or 70 wrms and that bauhn amp should be for than enought to push them, but with really bad signal coming from that amp what do you expect?

Bad signal? I guess 2.2v pre-outs aren't doing me any favors haha. And no, my doors are not deadened yet, but I ran a spacer and sealed with modeling clay for density and sound. Admittedly it helped.

The reason why I like the Polks much more than the R's is i demoed them side by side at tweeter, off of my current deck with desired settings, and through the same speaker amp at 75 RMS (don't know what the gain was, but that isn't the point) and the Polks just blew the R's away. Unfortunately I demoed after I bought the R's haha.

Anyways, I tuned several times for audible distortion, and when I tuned it down, the speakers did better, BUT, they were much more quieter. I'm comparing the sound to my GF's system which is a Power Acoustik at 35 RMS x 4, and it sounds as loud before distortion as the audiobahn without the distortion. This is all at flatline EQ's and BB off, everything. I followed JL's tutorial for tuning.