PDA

View Full Version : port firing...

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
well, in order to get the area i need out of me rear area behind my back seat('02 grand cherokee) while also keeping it at window line, ill have to make the depth max out where it will be all the way against the hatch when closed. which leaves me with 2 options really, either fire the port up or fire it out the side. which option would sound better/get louder? thanks

skadude016
01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I fire mine forward but im :crazy:

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I fire mine forward but im :crazy:

yea, but if i do that, it would be up against the back seat, leaving the port no room to "breathe", pretty much the same reason i cant fire it to the rear.

skadude016
01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
yea, but if i do that, it would be up against the back seat, leaving the port no room to "breathe", pretty much the same reason i cant fire it to the rear.

fold down the back seat :)

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 10:32 AM
fold down the back seat :)

i would, but what about when i have passengers?(is a common thing)

skadude016
01-07-2007, 10:40 AM
i would, but what about when i have passengers?(is a common thing)

meh screw passengers lol. fire the port up then. are your subs up also?

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 10:41 AM
meh screw passengers lol. fire the port up then. are your subs up also?

yes, they will be. subs up, port either up or side...

skadude016
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
up. give it lots of room to breathe :)

DaBurner
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
i think you should do it to the side, if its pointed up it will almost definetly be louder but not by much, and you'll be able to feel the air coming from the tube, What kind of subs you got?

skadude016
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
i think you should do it to the side, if its pointed up it will almost definetly be louder but not by much, and you'll be able to feel the air coming from the tube, What kind of subs you got?

WHA?

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 11:05 AM

two BTL 15's powered by an xx-goliath.

revots
01-07-2007, 11:07 AM
two BTL 15's powered by an xx-goliath.

i don't give a **** where you put the port, that ****'s gonna be LOUD!

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
i don't give a **** where you put the port, that ****'s gonna be LOUD!

yea, but i still want to make the best choice out of my options

Abel
01-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Try porting to the passenger side, It worked well in my old setup.

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Try porting to the passenger side, It worked well in my old setup.

thanks. any others with experience with either ports up or side ports?

Abel
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
thanks. any others with experience with either ports up or side ports?

NP. I tried porting to both sides,up,forward and rear. The rear was loudest on the TL. but only .3 higher then the passenger side. This was done in the car in my sig. <GMC Jimmy> but you may have different results with your car.

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
NP. I tried porting to both sides,up,forward and rear. The rear was loudest on the TL. but only .3 higher then the passenger side. This was done in the car in my sig. <GMC Jimmy> but you may have different results with your car.

well i was thinking the passenger side if i go with the side port, but i didnt know if or how porting it up would work?

Louisiana_CRX
01-07-2007, 11:36 AM
The subs will sound better if the ports are loaded....than going ports open so side firing with 5-7" loading area will give you best results....sorta like down firing boxes use the floors to load the subs...Since most of your bass pressure uses the ports and not the subs ...they have more of an effect when loaded...but if you can load the subs as well...you'll gain some there as well....:)

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
The subs will sound better if the ports are loaded....than going ports open so side firing with 5-7" loading area will give you best results....sorta like down firing boxes use the floors to load the subs...Since most of your bass pressure uses the ports and not the subs ...they have more of an effect when loaded...but if you can load the subs as well...you'll gain some there as well....:)

so basicly, the best option is to side fire the port rather than up-fire it? thanks guys

rpfuror
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I have a 2000 Cherokee and have done a lot of playing with a lot of different designs.

Heres my results. With 2 RE XXX 12" drivers (from many systems ago).

Drivers Forward Port Forward.

OK and Accurate but not what I was looking for.

Drivers Back Port Back.

LOUD but very noisy do to a lot of air turbulence at the Hatch (even with rat mat)

Drivers Back Port Up.

LOUD and a lot less noisy coming for the hatch, it was very accurate in the front of teh car and defaning in the back seat.

Drivers Up Port Back.

About the same as the reverse but seamed to perform better at a lower gain.

I am currently designing a CRX type box for the system right now that will be Drivers Up Port Back... SO you know which I have chosen.

bamaboy
01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
jeeptin, you goign to stick with the goliath, im doing something different with subs soon, so the MT's might be fore sale, 2 18s is looking nice right now

have you bought the BTL's yet? ill give you a good deal on 2 MT's :D

how big are you doing the box and what tuning?

jeepintn
01-07-2007, 01:03 PM
jeeptin, you goign to stick with the goliath, im doing something different with subs soon, so the MT's might be fore sale, 2 18s is looking nice right now

have you bought the BTL's yet? ill give you a good deal on 2 MT's :D

how big are you doing the box and what tuning?

lol, yea, i have had the subs for a while now, still waiting on my goliath from CIA though. and about the biggest square(without building a t-shaped box to go over the wheel wells) box i can get to fit under the window line is 11 cubes before port/subs/bracing displacements. the design i currently have is tuned to 33, with 123.75 sq of port, and after all displacements is 8.7 cubic feet

acreature
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll make it easy fer yaz..... fire side.... **** falls in ports that fire up ;)