PDA

View Full Version : house electricians here?

1loudsuv
01-04-2007, 08:20 PM
ok what ive been wondering for the past 2 weeks how in the fudge am i gonna power a pair of these (http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/powertower/powertower.html#7000sc), when in my room all i got is two circuits and one is part of the kitchen and usually goes off pretty eazy so i put all my electronics on the other breaker. wtf should i do? i dont want the breaker going off everytime the bass hits. maybe a upc or two or 3 lol will help???

ultimate157
01-04-2007, 08:40 PM
UPC's are only battery backups with surge protection. They offer no sort of capacitance.

As far as your power issue, not much you can do. Maybe run another line of 110 to the room and add a box somewhere on another breaker

Calikid
01-04-2007, 08:42 PM
holy ****, 1800 watts each, what r u trying to do, demolish youre house???

squeak9798
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Wire up a dedicated circuit just for the audio equipment.

Should be able to run the wire and install the outlet in an afternoon. If you're not comfortable actually connecting the breaker and installing it in the breaker box, just have a local electrician come out and finish up that last step for ya. Shouldn't be too expensive.

thylantyr
01-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Hook up your system, play music and see what happens. Don't fix a problem
that doesn't yet exist.

I run four proamps on my temp home install, but two of the amps need
an extension cord that is plugged into another room, I run the wire along
the wall. It's a ghetto solution but I have tunes for the past year, otherwise
I'd be tripping the breaker every 5 minutes.

If you have big dollars you can have an electrician install more wiring
but do you really want to spend the money if you can cheat? lol

ultimate157
01-04-2007, 11:42 PM
:fyi: Cheating burns houses down :fyi:

A dedicated breaker your best solution. I only have 3 outlets in my room, and having two big screens plugged in on the same breaker (living room TV and my 47") caused the breaker to trip pretty often.

thylantyr
01-04-2007, 11:53 PM
:fyi: Cheating burns houses down :fyi:

So does smoking a cigarette in your house or using your gas stove :rolleyes:

btnhfan
01-04-2007, 11:58 PM
^What about a fireplace?

DBfan187
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
it's not that hard to add another outlet.

brendan_121212
01-05-2007, 01:45 AM
Yes, definately get an electrician to install a dedicated circuit, or do it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it. Never knowingly overload a circuit, and DO NOT PUT a larger breaker or fuse in.

ultimate157
01-05-2007, 02:55 AM
So does smoking a cigarette in your house or using your gas stove :rolleyes:

$5,000 in audio equipment and you're telling the guy to knowingly overload a circuit in his house in the hopes of MAYBE they wont draw enough power to trip the breaker? Awesome.

Clearly money isnt an issue here, so take the time and do it right. Add a circuit or 4 into the room. The wall behind our TV consists of 4 sets of outlets, each on its own breaker.

sqhertz
01-05-2007, 09:51 AM
14/3 romex from the panel to a recepticle (gfi if your serious about it lol) on a 15a breaker. alot of attic climbing but its not hard at all. cheaper if you do it yourself too ;) home depot will have that **** too.
if you do do it be sure the MAIN is OFF. im not responsible for your serious injuries/death. :)

KRD
01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
14 guage wire is good for a 15 amp beaker, 12 guage wire is good for a 20 amp breaker. If you run 14/3 that is 2 circuits. If you only want 1 circuit run either 14/2 or 12/2 romex. How old is your house? If your bedroom is on an exterior wall you could just run pipe and LB into your room. Also how many amps in your existing service? You do not want to overload the panel. I am an Electrician, PM me any questions you have.

sqhertz
01-05-2007, 10:45 AM
14 guage wire is good for a 15 amp beaker, 12 guage wire is good for a 20 amp breaker. If you run 14/3 that is 2 circuits. If you only want 1 circuit run either 14/2 or 12/2 romex. How old is your house? If your bedroom is on an exterior wall you could just run pipe and LB into your room. Also how many amps in your existing service? You do not want to overload the panel. I am an Electrician, PM me any questions you have.

word. i was an apprentice for 4 months but picked up alot of knowledge.

thylantyr
01-05-2007, 11:15 AM
$5,000 in audio equipment and you're telling the guy to knowingly overload a circuit in his house in the hopes of MAYBE they wont draw enough power to trip the breaker? Awesome.

Clearly money isnt an issue here, so take the time and do it right. Add a circuit or 4 into the room. The wall behind our TV consists of 4 sets of outlets, each on its own breaker.

* Overloading a circuit will trip the breaker. Tripping the breaker is what protects
the wiring from the real overload that heats up the wire and if hot enough, can
cause a fire. You can overload a circuit all day if you want provided that is has
the proper circuit breaker.

* I'm not telling him to overload a circuit, rather you install the system and try it out to see if the breaker really trips. Music has a low duty cycle and power consumption is much less than looking at rms values. People make this mistake
daily on every forum, judging electrical needs based on rms values.

* If there is a problem, install a new electricial circuit or you can just run
an extension cord into a different outlet on a different circuit to operate the
system. Extension cords are used to power equipment that have short cords,
that's why they are called extension cords, lol.. They aren't meant to be permanent installs, rather temporary use as we don't want extension cords
running all over the house. But because you used them, doesn't mean a hazzard
is more likely to happen vs. the same guage wire installed behind your drywall :laugh: ... The same laws of science apply to wires outside the walls
as they do inside the walls.

Each BP7000SC combines a new built-in 14" SuperCubeŽ subwoofer driven by an 1800-Watt class D amplifier, two pressure-driven 14" infrasonic radiators and bipolar dual D’Appolito front and rear mounted driver arrays each consisting of two high-definition cast-basket 6-1/2" Definitive bass/midrange drivers surrounding a 1" annealed pure aluminum dome Definitive tweeter.

One circuit can easily operate this.

* 1800w class D amp playing music won't taxi the circuit too much. Playing test tones will draw alot more current.
* A few 6" mids and 1" tweeters won't taxi any electrical system even if you connected a monster amp to them.

joetama
01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Well... I would say that if he has to ask this questions he shouldn't be doing his own wiring.

120volts isn't something to be played with.

I would say run some 12 guage romex and put in a dedicated 20 Amp breaker on the 120 leg that has the least amount of motors (heater, fridge, microwave) and pull (amps).

You might have to rewire your whole electric box to get it to be optimal...

Make sure that your two legs are balanced with in 10 amps or less. Just a rule I have learned from some master old electric boys I know.

1loudsuv
01-05-2007, 01:13 PM
yah most likely ill have someone install a another circuit. hopefully i can find someone cheap. what kind of ***** it isnt my house and i was diong all kinds of reading and it seems that this house was built prior the 1950 and only has 6 breakers total for the whole house. something in the kitchen goes out it also goes out here. hopefully teh home owner will let me add a circuit i just hope it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

KRD
01-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Do you rent?

squeak9798
01-05-2007, 05:55 PM
something in the kitchen goes out it also goes out here.

I feel your pain.

My house was built in the early 20's.

Just redid the wiring in my kitchen a month ago because I was tired of the microwave kicking the breaker once a week and killing darn near the entire house :furious:

ultimate157
01-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Our house was built in the 60's by someone who thought he was an electrician. Switches that do nothing, multiple rooms on same breakers, etc. It ***** when moving electronics around

1loudsuv
01-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Do you rent?

yes but roommate owns the house i dont mind paying my dues especially when my setup will put a big load on almost any type of outlet