PDA

View Full Version : Please help me pick out some sub-$150 components

CiminoUM5
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Alright, I've done an absurd amount of searches in this forum and I think I've narrowed down my choices a bit. Here's my current setup:

Pioneer 7500mp
DEI 2055 comps
ESX q1204
(2) JL 10W0-8ohms

The JLs and DEIs have seen better days and are going to be replaced. I'm likely going to go with the AA Assassins (whenever they're available/in stock again) to replace the JLs.

I love the way the DEIs sound, for a reference of what I like. Clean but smooth tweeters (not a fan of super-bright ones) and some nice punchy midbass. I'm SQ all the way, don't really care about SPL.

What 5.25s would you guys recommend for $150 or less (preferably less)? So far I'm thinking my best options are:

- CDT C51s
- Crystal SSCs
- a/d/s 245ix

I'd love to have Rainbows, but they're out of my price range. I believe I've seen a some people recommend a set of reasonably priced Orions...how do they stack up to the above comps?

Also keep in mind that the ESX will be pushing ~ 120w to whatever I get.

Thanks for the help.

Hoodlum007
01-05-2007, 12:38 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4418

Im using these here, and all i can say is they are :yumyum:
Very clear mids, great midbass,nice smooth silk tweeters and they handle as much power as i can give them and still dont distort a tiny bit.

JohnnyChuttz
01-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I vote for the Crystals, can't be beat for the price. Mine sound incredible. I do not think that they come in 5.25 though.

jmanpc
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
MB Quart Discus or Reference would be right up your alley. Their tweets arent as bright as the higher-end models.

Hintzyboy
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
My vote goes for the CDTs.

ChedNompton
01-07-2007, 01:39 AM
MB Quart Discus or Reference would be right up your alley. Their tweets arent as bright as the higher-end models.

I've heard some 4" MB Quart Reference, and the highs where kinda harsh, they weren't amped, on the -6db slope thing and the head unit was on -2 highs. There midwoofers where great, clear, kinda punchy (weren't amped) and warm. Thats just my .02 on MB quart. I would look into some Diamond Audio components, I think the D6 is like 150 shipped on Ebay. Well good luck to you.

hawaiian5
01-07-2007, 02:19 AM
get the crystals. i have listened to the others also. but for the money, u cant beat them. i have them inmy car as i speak. they are awsome