PDA

View Full Version : Box for 10w3v2

JoeM
01-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi all, I'm getting ready to build a box for my JL 10w3v2 and wanted some advice. I built a box for my last car, and it sounded **** good (if I do say so), but I went by the very basic box design that came with the sub. I know that more performance can be extracted with this better sub in a configuration that may stray from the manufacturer's box recommendations.

The vehicle is an '02 Sentra SE-R Spec V. I would like to put the box in the corner behind the passenger rear tail light, but I need help with the calculations on box dimensions. I can cut the mdf just fine, I just need some details.

Also, is there any advantage to reverse mounting the sub (cone facing in) as opposed to standard mounting? Someone told me to do this, but I don't know the advantage.

Joe

evo2k3
01-14-2003, 09:05 PM
You generally are not going to get more out of a JL sub by not making it to specs.....if its one 10 I would not even really recomend ported it (although you could if you like). Anyways 'reverse' moutning is called inverting. The advatage is with subs like the v2's or w7, the magnets look baddass and you can see them (pretty much it). In reallity you wont hear a big difference, although technically you do have a smaller cone area pushing air out away from the box (usually a neglagable difference). I have a w7 that i inverted and it sound awesome, however, the box is was in before was a piece of **** (my first attempt using plexiglass :) ). If you like the apperence of an inverted sub do it, but when you invert you need to somehow flip the polarity--two ways to do it, best way just switch the + and - that connect to the amp, second way, some head units (pioneer for sure) have an option to invert the sub, all thats doing is again switching polarity...but its probably not the best way.

JoeM
01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by evo2k3
You generally are not going to get more out of a JL sub by not making it to specs.....if its one 10 I would not even really recomend ported it (although you could if you like). Anyways 'reverse' moutning is called inverting. The advatage is with subs like the v2's or w7, the magnets look baddass and you can see them (pretty much it). In reallity you wont hear a big difference, although technically you do have a smaller cone area pushing air out away from the box (usually a neglagable difference). I have a w7 that i inverted and it sound awesome, however, the box is was in before was a piece of **** (my first attempt using plexiglass :) ). If you like the apperence of an inverted sub do it, but when you invert you need to somehow flip the polarity--two ways to do it, best way just switch the + and - that connect to the amp, second way, some head units (pioneer for sure) have an option to invert the sub, all thats doing is again switching polarity...but its probably not the best way.

I could care less how it looks, lol, i mean if it was a w-7, then ok, I could see that. The basket and magnet on that thing looks awesome, this is fairly ordinary.

So my best bet would be to build it to spec?

Joe

evo2k3
01-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Its still unique, but definiatley your opinion. And I have done a tone with JL products and they do sound best when they are built to specs....my suggestion is to make a sealed box with a volume at the upper bound of recomended....if you really want to port it, do a slot port, also at the upper size. You dont really need to use their "suggested" box, just build one within their specs.

JoeM
01-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by evo2k3
Its still unique, but definiatley your opinion. And I have done a tone with JL products and they do sound best when they are built to specs....my suggestion is to make a sealed box with a volume at the upper bound of recomended....if you really want to port it, do a slot port, also at the upper size. You dont really need to use their "suggested" box, just build one within their specs.

That's what I planned on doing, building it to their suggestion. I'd rather go sealed, so you're saying to make it as big as is allowable, i.e. box volume range is .60-.90^3. You recommend going with the .90.
What would the difference in bass response with a loarger box? I'm thinking it would be a different type of sound altoghether.
Sorry for so many questions!

evo2k3
01-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Yeah, its going to shift the optimal frequency down a little and give you a bit deeper bass, you might loose of bit of sq.....but the 0.3 cu ft difference probably wont even be audiable.