PDA

View Full Version : Video/Dvd headunits really worth it?

inVINCEable667
12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
In your opinion for those of you that have them, are touchscreen dvd/video headunits really worth it?

bcleachd
12-31-2006, 11:51 PM
yes but dont let ppl play with them a lot.

Alot of fingerprints aren't good:mad:

ebrunn
01-01-2007, 03:13 AM
yes but dont let ppl play with them a lot.

Alot of fingerprints aren't good:mad:

thats why you get one of these. They work real good.
http://screenpatronus.com/

I like my 7 inch. Its a good way to control all the stuff I have in my car(iPod, Sirius, DVD Changer). You can read text alot better on the file names better also.

bikinpunk
01-01-2007, 12:40 PM
If you get one, get a good one. I personally know 2 people who bought a Jensen & Dual unit each, and both headunits are crap. I believe both already have malfunctions and neither has had theirs since before July.

Frankensuby
01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm only waiting for the Excelon 6.5" screens to support USB, then I'm replacing the Pioneer with it :)

Frankensuby
01-01-2007, 01:34 PM
WHat I'd like to know is screen pixels. I can never find that fact. I've heard Alpine has a 1million+ pixel screen, aka high resolution.

jspsc123
01-01-2007, 06:46 PM
they are a big waste of money.i used to have a kenwood ddx 8017. i used the tv part for a week, but after a while you get used to having a tv in the car youl stop watching videos when you drive and just listen to music, which a regular cd player can do, then you have spent money on a product that you arent using.unless you just want to have a tv to impress people dont get it cause you wont use it as much as you think.

02parkave
01-02-2007, 12:46 PM
the dvd thing is rather useless to me (it is more than retarded to watch a movie while driving and why would you park your car and watch a movie) the navigation function is awesome.... (if equipped)!

bikinpunk
01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
It's good if you travel and friends go along. Other than that, it really does become just like a cd player once the "oooh" factor wears off. It does me good though when I'm waiting for someone in a parking lot (my friends are NOTORIOUSLY late).

woc47
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
another good thing is if it is dvd mp3 compatible, all the music on 4.7 gb disc's.
This is if you don't own an ipod, or anything that hold hella music. i love my alpine 9860, not touch screen because not worth it to me, mine is a standalone dvd/am/fm h/u no flip out, screen is external but mostly use it for dvd mp3 application

psychocarne
01-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I have a car pc and love it . I think i will really use it alot once i get the GPS.

SQChevy
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
If you get one, get a good one. I personally know 2 people who bought a Jensen & Dual unit each, and both headunits are crap. I believe both already have malfunctions and neither has had theirs since before July.

What did they expect? They bought Jensen & Dual. It's actually quite easy to watch movies and drive. I do it quite a lot and never have problems. It's even better if there is traffic like during holidays when you are trying to get out of town. Keeps the road rage at bay. Just make sure to do your research and get what you want not necessarily what you can get right now. It's worth it to save a bit and get a good one.

killahbean
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I dunno what u guys talking about but I love my eclipse avn5435....Its well worth the money and I use the dvd function everyday on top of that the Navigation is a useful tool too....Its a good thing to have if you have to wait alot. Like waiting outside for your girlfriend to come out. Being stuck in Traffic or going on roadtrips....which I think 99% of you do go on roadtrips quite often.......

LinxuS
01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't use the DVD so much, but it's still nice. Now that I finally got my sub working, I might try to make some DVD music videos to show it off :D

But I do use my navigation almost daily. I love the navigation, and think it is well worth it.

Just the other day on a drive to Cali, I got stuck in traffic that was completely stopped for about 2 hours. Hit and run / bad accident FTL. Anyways, I popped in Starsky and Hutch and that kept me entertained for most of it.

It's definitely a huge bling factor too lol

lilhomieb07
01-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I have the Alpine IVA-D310 and you can control basically everything from it. The only thing i dont have is the NAVI, dont really need it, but i do have the ipod module hooked up and tuned it to watch dvds when driving, the touch kinda ***** cuz the finger prints, but its prolie one of the best dvd players out there and i would highly reccomend it.

Rochambeau
01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I have the Alpine IVA-W200 and love it to death. Except for the fact that the lame *** installer(s) didn't hook up the auto dimming feature thus making it so it does not dim at night which can make it hard for the driver to see out the passenger side at night. Lazy installers FTL! :mad:

Personally, I love playing concert DVDs especially in traffic or in line at the drive-thru.

Alpine USED to have a high-res version, but now the D310 is their highest at 336,000 pixels. Yes, they are kinda low res and it shows especially during light shows of a concert. But all in all, I am quite pleased.

Navigation so rocks though. No more crappy directions from a stupid person trying to guide you where you wanna go. I am one of the few people who actually bought Alpine's XM-Navtraffic unit which is stupid-expensive but has some of the coolest features like searching for restaurants via Zagat's restaurant rating guide, the ability to get weather reports and being able to route you around traffic jams based on current traffic conditions. I have yet to meet someone who has a Nav system who didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread.