PDA

View Full Version : Do I need rear speakers

rudy3
12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
In a couple of threads I have read on this site it appears that some have suggested that one doesnt really need rear speakers--did I read that correctly?

I have a Porsche 911 and I am in tne process of upgrading my system with new speakers and an amp. Obviously, the interior in my car is small. I have rear speakers now.

I want to know whether I should just concentrate on my front speakers and get a 2-channel amp rather than a 4-channel amp. I will not be running a sub because I need to conserve as much space as possible for storage (otherwise I can't justify having a porsche with a family).

By the way, I have four speakers in the front of my car--do I need a four channel amp anyway? Any help would be great.

azbass
12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
small car like that. screams a really solid front stage. id work more on that. and leave the rear for a nice substage.

azbass
12-31-2006, 02:29 PM
and an post pics of the porsche!!!1

Louisiana_CRX
12-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Don't focus on rear speakers...You may can keep the stock ones ...I'm assuming they are Blaupunkts or maybe even MB Quarts ...Just run them off of head unit power....You'll want to focus more on the quality of your fron speakers and your sub woofer....Even though there is a 2 way set in the Porsche 911 the tweeter or high is really in a bad location for proper stereo seperation....I don't know if they make prefab kick panels for the 911 or even if it has the proper room...but worse case I'd recommend relocating the tweeter seperate to the kick or far dash corners.....I'm buying a 914 in the next week or two...and luckily it came from the factory with kick panel mounts...I'll just have to modify them...:)

rudy3
12-31-2006, 02:37 PM
so if I just deal with the front speakers, of which there are four, do I need a 2-channel of a 4-channel amp?

req
12-31-2006, 02:38 PM
hell. get a 4 channel amp. then get some 6.5" subwoofers.

run the subs at 2 ohm - look at the elemental designs EU700's. and get a nice solid frontstage.

compromise made, problems solved, suboofers are in the car. happy days.

//edit to awnser above question

the crossover in the component set divides up power to each speaker as the frequencies pass the xover point. think of it like a switch or a relay. as the frequency goes past the point, one speaker switches off and the other comes on. thats it in a nutshell - its a little more complicated as crossover slopes are figured into that math, but thats essentially whats happening. you only need one channel of amplification to amplificate two speakers :)

but, if you go with the 4 channel amp, then you can get two 6.5" subs and stash them somewhere cool.

what year is your porsche 911?

rudy3
12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The Porsche is a 2002.

Louisiana_CRX
12-31-2006, 07:12 PM
try this website...I think it will help www.caraudioinnovations.com

springy101
12-31-2006, 07:21 PM
depending on what size speakers you have in the back, i would get some tang band 6.5 or 6x9 subs and like others have said get a 4 channel. use the front 2 channels for your front stage and the rear 2 bridged for the subs.

springy101
12-31-2006, 07:23 PM
try this website...I think it will help www.caraudioinnovations.com

hey that shop is about 15 minutes from my house.

Louisiana_CRX
12-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I have several nice high end multi channel amps...if interested IM me...I have a 6ch ADS I think would be perfect for the Porsche setup...

Louisiana_CRX
12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
hey that shop is about 15 minutes from my house.

They are kinda high priced but for those types of cars maybe not...It has a lot of pointers for his 911 I thought would be useful...I'm sure they do quality work...:)

springy101
12-31-2006, 07:28 PM
they have some nice stuff in their too, arc audio, focal, etc.