PDA

View Full Version : The sound of the ocean...

Frankensuby
12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
...Coming through my tweeters :furious:

So, I'm working on retorquing my speakers to their 3/4" MDF spacers when I realize that I hear something odd. The wind is still and it's about 43 degrees outside. I realize that I recognize that sound distinctly as the 'conk shell' effect when you place it up to your ear to hear 'the ocean'.

:eyebrow:

So I place my ear up to the tweeter and realize that it is coming from them, but the amp and car is off, keys out. (As it should always be when working on your car *cough*).

So now I am sitting here wondering what the deal is. I know I have my gains set too high. The amp is off though, so that should affect nothing. I just regrounded the RCA's on my deck to finish fixing an isolation issue and now I have this to look into. YAY!

Any ideas?

SuperTrooper
12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Maybe your tweeters were made from sea shells. j/k:D

Thats one I havn't heard yet. Sorry I can't help.

Frankensuby
12-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Lol, I wish. I'd call them 'seas' ;)

Anyways, everything is double twsted and shielded. Speaker wires are separate from the power cable etc... and my battery doesn't seem to have any form of drain on it. Starts fine.

It doesn't bother me much, it just strikes me as odd. My whole system is F-ed up anyways. I need a new speaker amp and a new deck. I guess I'll just eat the deck noise and weird speaker issue till I get my X-mas bonus :P

squeak9798
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Easy way to troubleshoot....disconnect the speaker wire from the amp. If the noise is still there, then it's picking up noise from somewhere either in the speaker wire or in the location of the passive xover (passive xovers can pick up noise if placed near a certain electrical components within the vehicle). Then disconnect the tweeters from the passive xover. If the noise is gone, you know it's the xover.

Frankensuby
12-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Excellent idea! 23k posts of experience shining through :laugh:

I'll do this after our winter RAIN leaves the area.

Thanks

helotaxi
12-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Are the speaker wires twisted pair as well? You could actually be picking up an AM radio station. You laugh but I used to be able to listen to the radion in my dorm room without turning on the radio.