PDA

View Full Version : wicked good misbass...

savagebee
12-30-2006, 08:28 AM
*edit title is obviously supposed to say midbass* but I have sausage fingers

Im looking for some wicked mid basses...

basically, Ive got a couple of elemental designs 19ov.2's (18"), and I love the low end on these things, but once I start tuning the hpf on them, they start well.... not being as pleasing for my tastes.. I dont know how to be any more specific.. they dont sound bad, per se,but I dont like it too much..

anyways, Im wanting to go three way before too long, and was thinking about putting the 19o's in a grossly oversized sealed enclosure to maximize the low freq response, and get some wicked evil midbasses to cover the remainder.. say from 50-250 (or higher, depending on the mid range I go with, 1000 is not out of the question.. Im looking at the dls iridium domes right now).

so... offer me some suggestions here..

the only "true" midbass that I can think of that Ive auditioned in person are the dd lt 6.5"s, and they kicked *** .. so,

please discuss

thanks in advance

JonJT
12-30-2006, 02:08 PM
How much money are you willing to spend?

alteraudiousa
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
i am not too sure what you are trying to achieve. You need to low pass the subs so they only play say 80hz and down or 63hz. The midbass drivers to play 80 or 100hz and up to 250hz if its midbass applications. Why not try some CDT M6 or ED eu-700 or some 8in drivers like the Dayton Ref 8in or the Tang Bang 6.5 subwoofer.

req
12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
price is a definite problem with midbass.

you could look at the critical mass MB82. thats what im getting soon :)

ps, a speaker playing from 80hz to 250hz is retarded. at least get some active crossover and a competant speaker that will play from like 80hz to like 1000hz.

just imo.

Louisiana_CRX
12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
I have a set of DD 6.5LT's :D and a set of DD 6.5mb's

JonJT
12-30-2006, 03:38 PM
price is a definite problem with midbass.

you could look at the critical mass MB82. thats what im getting soon :)

ps, a speaker playing from 80hz to 250hz is retarded. at least get some active crossover and a competant speaker that will play from like 80hz to like 1000hz.

just imo.

Not to **** you off, but saying something is retarted provides no concrete reason to not do something. You need to give a logical, complete arguement.

req
12-30-2006, 03:53 PM
because it is an inefficient use of time and money. the only logical low frequency band speaker in my opinion is a subwoofer. its a waste of time to install a speaker that is meant for low end midrange and midbass and restrict its bandwidth to a few hundred frequencies when it is capable of so much more.

in my opinion simplicity is a good place to start. i cant justify the time and money spent on this application.

JonJT
12-30-2006, 04:08 PM
because it is an inefficient use of time and money. the only logical low frequency band speaker in my opinion is a subwoofer. its a waste of time to install a speaker that is meant for low end midrange and midbass and restrict its bandwidth to a few hundred frequencies when it is capable of so much more.

in my opinion simplicity is a good place to start. i cant justify the time and money spent on this application.

I understand what your saying, but I do think, in some applications, such a setup is necessary. It proved hard to find a midbass driver that works well in a 2 way setup with horns. Many people opt to go 3 way for this reason and you'll find that in most cases, the midbass woofers are only playing a few hundred hertz.

T3mpest
12-30-2006, 09:04 PM
asdf

T3mpest
12-30-2006, 09:12 PM

Just because the driver is capable of playing higher in a given application doesn't mean it's wise to do so, subs can play MUCH higher than 80hz with lots of authority, however we dont' do it, for obvious reasons. Dedicated midbases have a similar set of rules. Midbass from 80-250 has 1 key advantage, being that you don't have to aim the drivers. If your doing a door mounted midbass, like most people, if you only play the driver from 80-300 or so, you'll have no negative effects on your tonality. The driver can be any angle with 60 degrees of leeway, give or take a bit and sound just the same! Go much higher and the driver's on axis and off axis responce will begin to deviate from one another. In terms of the "sweet spot" for a door mounted midbass driver, 8-250 is pretty close. If you go much higher than that, intesity as well as pathlengths will ditate imaging, not just the pathlengths. On axis response deviation sets in, and well, you really just need to put them in the kicks to get the most of them. (usually vented kicks, since most mids dont' like tiny airspaces)

Secondly, in a horn install, the other drivers need all the help they can get. Asking a driver to play 80hz all the way up until it mates with a horn, at 1.2k or so, is almost defeating the purpose of the horns. Lower midrange frequencies will probably end up being a bit off, as I talked about earlier. Switching phase on the midranges can help this, but since your in a 2 way config, your usually sacrificing midbass output. These types of tradeoffs are bad enough in a regular install, with horns, your really limiting your dynamics. Your asking a traditional driver to play a large range and keep up with a driver 20db more effecient than it is, not an easy task. Most midbasses even playing the small 80-250hz range will run out of gas before the horn does! To really get the most out of the horns, you almost need to do a 3 way, IMO, but that's me. I'd rather not sacrifice imaging, tonality or overall output, which horns can allow you to do, assuming the other convential drivers don't limit you. To summarize, horns in a 3-way FTMFW!

savagebee
12-31-2006, 01:53 AM
okay, let me rephrase, I was about to get off of work last night, and my question was not too undrstandable.

Im wanting to go full active
I want my subs playing from around 55-60 down
I want a beefy midbass to play from 60 - at least 250, possibly up to 1000, it depoends on what mid range I go with

room, is not a problem, I have plenty
money, well, consider it a non issue, but dont suggest midbasses that are $1000 for a set