PDA

View Full Version : 1999 vw passat - 100k miles 1.8t - oppinions

req
12-29-2006, 12:21 PM
asking 5,500 with t&t. its a dealership down the street. its got a few miles, but the price is perfect. car looks like its in great shape inside and out, silver with leather interior. tires are good, engine does not look like ***.

give me some opinions. i know that vw's run for a long time. and high mileage is not necessarily such a bad thing with these cars. power windows\locks\seats, heated seats. only thing is im getting an H701 and my headunit, and that rrequires double din, and this car has a single din with a extra wide din height compartment under it that i might be able to fabricate into another din spot.

give me oppinions, VW guys - let me know what to look out for.

lemme know what you think. i might buy this today.

Dozy_production
12-29-2006, 12:27 PM
one thing, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if its a dealership. So they cleaned the engine? Make sure you take to mechanic and take the vin number and call up your DMV to see if it has salvaged or stolen title on it.

req
12-29-2006, 12:31 PM
my mom knows some mechanics t hat are going to go down there with me. she is their CPA, im gonna throw the guy $50 to take a look at the car.

docutech
12-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Great cars. Mileage is "OK". However, the "T" stands for turbo and also for trouble.

I would stay away from that one. :crap:

req
12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
why do you say that?

Dozy_production
12-29-2006, 12:39 PM
if its from a dealer, it sounds like they are charging you a lot lower than they should be.

req
12-29-2006, 12:41 PM
kelly blue book on the car is only a few hundred more than they are selling it for.

mattmcss
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Thats about right for the price and miles, but I'd say stay away.

VW's run a long time IF they are taken care of, however parts are amazingly expensive and so it labor.

I'd find something with 20-30k less miles for just a little more money, i'd say its worth it. A 2.8- V6 would be better, I think they offer these ?

req
12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
i have a $10k spending limit, and i have 3 more days to locate a vehicle.

im in the navy, so its not like i wont be able to afford the labor or parts. my problem is i eaither find a car i want thats $5k over my limit, or a car that is well within price range with more miles on it.

im not willing to buy a car i wont be happy driving. and apparently i have a limited selection of vehicles to look at.

mattmcss
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
VW's handle really well, and I'm sure the 1.8 Turbo will pull good, maybe do some simple mods to it.

But the price is right, and if labor is cheap then I say go for it.

forceofwill
12-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Several friends had 1.8t's, it's a very stout little motor. Just grab a chip from APR or similar and maybe an intake/dp/exhaust and you're looking at a very peppy car. Common problems I would say, minor electrical crap and I believe the DV on that stock k03(?) ***** and you'd probably have to replace it with a bosche one. As with all turbo cars that get miles on them, your seals might go out which means rebuild it or buy another one. Unfortunately those VW turbo's are ungodly expensive for how small they are.

Overall very nice car though. Hope it's a manual.

denim
12-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Decent car, but make sure there are not electronic buggers. VW's by tradition, run a long time, and the main parts (engine, drive line etc.) survive. But the little things add up.

Ruthless Pastor
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Req, I owned a 2000 1.8T Passat for about two years. The problem to look out for with the 1.8T engine is oil sludging. It is common knowledge in the VW community that the design was poorly engineered. The oil capacity is too low for a turbo engine. The VW spec was to use dino oil until they changed it in 2003-04ish to require synthetic or void the warranty. Check out this forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=27 to see how this applies to that car. There are also Jetta specific forums based on the model. There are ways to eliminate the sludge, such as Auto RX.
I would be weary, but if the sludging is okay then that could be a great car. I miss my Passat; the Acura I drive now just doesn't have the same feel. Good luck and hit me up if you have any more questions.

req
12-29-2006, 02:24 PM
ruthless pastor - you are in CNY? thats where this car is!

where are you at?