PDA

View Full Version : Porting and Sub Mounting Best Practices??

sku
12-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey folks,

I don't consider myself a newbie or an expert by any means...I've built about 10 custom ported boxes ranging from 2.5 to 6.5 cubes...

What I'd like to know from your experience is there an optimal layout/configuration for:

1) Which way to fire the ports? Same plane as the sub? Different sides of the box? I've tried some different combos and same plane seems to work best...your experiences?

2) How close to the port opening should the sub be mounted? I've tried as close to the port as possible and as far away as possible (also somwhere in-between)...As close to the sub as possible seems to work best...

I kind of tired of all the experimentation and would like to hear others experiences.

Thanks much.

espguitarist91
12-28-2006, 05:58 PM
im not sure, but i read a post somewehre(i think from nG) that if you mount the sub close to the port opening, the air only has one way to go. Im not positive though
Edit- found it
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2435670&postcount=9
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2435696&postcount=11

squeak12
12-28-2006, 07:33 PM
You want it to have as much space possible for the sound to travel before entering the port. So as far as possible from the opening of the port. Opening as in the beginning of the port inside of the box. Also sub/port configuration will vary from car to car.

sku
12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Good tips guys keep them coming....

Dan Wiggins told me to always put the port as close to a wall as possible...that is where the air velocity is the greatest...this make it easier for the air to escape the box....

i.e. don't put a port in the middle of the box but off closer to the side...slot ports are already on 1 side I guess....

How about which side of the box to put the port on?

I've always like same plane as the sub due to the fact that the sound is coming *generally* from 1 direction and keeps cancellation down....

How about 1 vs. dual or many ports?

I've hated many ports in the past as they've had to be much longer for the same port area..

Any good results with multi-ports?