PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow 265 SLC Kick vs. CDT ES-610 or 620

bustu19
12-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey all, I've been lurking for a while now and have finally narrowed down my choices of front comps to the Rainbow SLC 265 SLC Kicks vs. the CDT ES-610 or ES-620 with the deal the have over at woofersetc. Any experts out there with opinions? I PM'd 6spdcoupe earlier this morning for pricing on the Rainbows but haven't heard back, I'm sure I'll hear from him tomorrow.

Anyway, they would be going in a 2003 M3, which has an AFE intake, Super Sprint X and S pipes and Eisenman exhuast so it is fairly loud in the car. On top of that, I'm 31 years old and my ears have taken a beating after 15 years of listening to music at damaging levels. I guess when your 17 the coolness of pounding 2 15's all day is more important than your hearing, hahaha.

So what I'm looking for is a set of components with excellent midbass since I can FEEL them, I'm no longer able to tell the suttle differences between the various high end speakers so for me spending $1000 on comps would be a waste given my hearing and loud car.

I'll deaden the doors of course but they will go in the stock locations. The comps will be powered with between 150-200 watts per channel (still undecided on the amp). I'm looking to spend about $300 for the comps

This is the system I'm planning:

Source:
Stock deck with an Alpine PXE-H650

Front Comps:
Rainbow 265 SLC Kicks
or
CDT ES-610

Rear:
None

Subs:
Either a Brahma 12 sealed or Alpine PLV-7 (carauido mag tested it at 134.4 dB this month)

Amps:
Alpine PDX 1.1000
Alpine PDX 2.150
or
eD NINe.1
eD NINe.2X

Any advice would be appriciated. I'm looking order everything by the end of the week. Thanks!

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm not exactly an EXPERT (no side by side comparisons) but I was very disappointed in CDTs.... I imagine the SLC's will be better but I'm sure there is someone here who has run both...

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
the ES's are avery nice set. The SLCs are Rainbow's "entry" line, so I think the ES's would be better, but I can't say for sure. Whatever you get, make sure you deaden your car well, and it will make the car quieter inside, as well as greatly improve the performance of your speakers.

angrytrucker78
12-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I own the SLC's and am very impressed with them. You can't really go wrong with a so called "entry level" comp set.

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
the ES's are avery nice set. The SLCs are Rainbow's "entry" line, so I think the ES's would be better, but I can't say for sure. Whatever you get, make sure you deaden your car well, and it will make the car quieter inside, as well as greatly improve the performance of your speakers.

Either way install is the most important element of getting good mid-bass response. You need to factor in the cost of some deadning, especially for the doors. Go to www.secondskin.com and get a door kit (20-30 sq ft) of damplifier and deaden the doors. A good guide located somewhere is called "proper something deadning and you".... Follow the guide and you'll get decent mid-bass response out of either set.

Also the SLC's are supposedly a very nice deal, I'd put Rainbow's up against anything CDT makes but I haven't heard the rainbows. I'm just going off the rave reviews they get and the fact that they aren't a forum boner, they've been around for awhile and interest hasn't dropped off...

acold7dusta
12-28-2006, 12:22 AM
acctually the KX are the entry level. i love my SLC's and will be keeping them for a long time

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 12:22 AM
The SLCs are definitely nice speakers. They put many companies' top-line speakers to shame. But I still think they would be bested by the ES's.

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
On your amp and sub choices....

I'd rethink those... the Alpines and ED's are decent amps but I'd look around for a deal. I snagged a Zapco reference 100x2 for $125 shipped awhile back. For the sub amp look for something with a little headroom, but it doesn't need to be a top flight amp.

For the Sub choices the brahma is a good choice, as is the Alpine. I'd widen your search though. Image Dynamics has always impressed me on SQ (had IDW's now have IDQ) and TC Sounds had really nice output (TC2+)... if you are going for SQ and have a sedan I'd suggest an IB install. You get better low end extension, quicker bass response but lower power handling and output. ID's IDQ and IDMAX's are both good IB subs....

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
OK, the SLX is the entry-level component line, the KXs are coaxs. So the SLCs are a step above entry-level. However, Rainbow offers several lines above the SLC. The ES's are pretty high up in CDT's line-up. I think the CDT Golds are the only ones above the ES's.

bustu19
12-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I starting to suffer from "paralysis by analysis" hahaha. So what set do you think would have more mid-bass kick everything else being equal.

bigmac16
12-28-2006, 01:25 AM
i own both rainbow profi's and cdt 07's.Don't know about the slc's, I like both speakers but personally prefer the rainbow's. Might look into adding an 8" sub, not too loud but adds a lttle kick

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Profis are a whole different animal. I'd take them over the CDTs any day.

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
I starting to suffer from "paralysis by analysis" hahaha. So what set do you think would have more mid-bass kick everything else being equal.

just do a proper install, which ever you choose... I think you'd like the Rainbows better but I'm biased against the CDT's... I didn't like mine...

alteraudiousa
12-28-2006, 03:10 AM
I would go for the HD line over the ES line. HD has more midbass, ES has a smoother midrange.

bustu19
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
6spcoupe PM'd me back and suggested the CMX line might be a slightly better fit for what I was looking for. I do like the idea of the metal cone for a little sharper impact so I'm hoping the price comes in at somthing I don't wince at. Have any of you heard the CMX Kicks?

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Never heard them, but they're just supposed to give you more midbass. The CMX line is nice. You won't be disappointed

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 04:04 PM
CMX265 set sells for $359.99 on www.premier-audio.com. The Kicks sell fo $20 more. Premier Audio is an authorized intenet dealer, so that should be fairly accurate pricing.

jacka
12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
the cmx's are a nice set no doubt, great reproduction and not harsh at all. great off axis tweet. the kicks will be a nice set.

Hoodlum007
12-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Both are great sets, my vote goes for the ES comps, my buddy and cousin are both using the ES comps and i can not complain about a single thing on them. They have a awesome midbass, the tweeters are very clear and smooth and they can take as much power as you can give them with no problems what so ever.

PremierAudio
12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I have had a few different sets in my M3 also. HDs sounded fairly good with lots of sound deadening, but my Germaniums sounded just superb. The CMX is a good compromise between the GERMs and the SLCs. You will love them.

Question: Are you going to be mounting them to the door panel in the factory location or are you going to make a baffle on the door? There is a huge difference between the two. Also if you are going to mount to the door not the panel be sure to watch out for the window track behing the speaker.

headless
12-29-2006, 01:09 PM
mmm, once you hit 350+ for the CMX kick's, i think i'd be entirely too tempted to grab a set of Germaniums instead.

PremierAudio
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Very true. Either way, you would not be disappointed with either of them.

SlickCMRick
12-29-2006, 04:13 PM
i just bought germs so im very happy to hear this :)

headless
12-29-2006, 04:44 PM
You definetely won't be dissapointed, Rick :) I'm installing my new amp tommorrow, a 4150XXK to replace my old Eclipse EA3422. Should be interesting to hear how the germs handle 3 times as much power. The gain nob will be my friend i think.