PDA

View Full Version : Any Transmission Experts?

CJL
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Well my friend has a 81 Firebird but He dont know exactly what kind of trans he has but its a 301 motor.

Anyway his trans is having problems shifting to 2nd gear(he cant tell if it goes into 3rd and up or not)It shifts very late and upon slowing down the only way he can get it to down shift is to tap the gas.

Even though he dont know what trans he has, In general what could the problem be?

EDIT: He's going tomorrow to get his trans fluid flushed to see if that helps.

dewitt88
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Sounds like sheer pins....But that is a guess (<Not a expert) GL Hope ya get it figured out!

keifersracing
12-27-2006, 06:51 PM
sound like the kick down cable broke he may have a 700r4 trans when he get that done have him get a new filter to that will tell him if there is something broke when they pull the cover off and it could be the Torque Converter to

CJL
12-27-2006, 06:57 PM
:crap: Sounds serious. Hes pretty stumped because it dont slip or nothing when you put it in drive or reverse, just that shifting problem.

joetama
12-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Could be a lot of different things.... If he wants it fixed you would have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Also, check your vacuum lines... In a lot of those cars they need vacuum to advance the transmission... So check the vacuum lines....

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Well my friend has a 81 Firebird but He dont know exactly what kind of trans he has but its a 301 motor.

Anyway his trans is having problems shifting to 2nd gear(he cant tell if it goes into 3rd and up or not)It shifts very late and upon slowing down the only way he can get it to down shift is to tap the gas.

Even though he dont know what trans he has, In general what could the problem be?

EDIT: He's going tomorrow to get his trans fluid flushed to see if that helps.

I think I found the problem!!! j/k

but yes, take it to a local transmission shop... try to get them to look at it while you are standing there... alot of the old timers will point out the problem w/ no charge... if you leave it overnight they might charge you an assload

ohh and the tranny flush will just be money down the drain...

CJL
12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I think I found the problem!!! j/k

but yes, take it to a local transmission shop... try to get them to look at it while you are standing there... alot of the old timers will point out the problem w/ no charge... if you leave it overnight they might charge you an assload

ohh and the tranny flush will just be money down the drain...

He took it today and they said he needs his trans rebuilt, and they said that the flush wouldn't help :blackeye: