PDA

View Full Version : Put in the Sony CDX-GT705DX yesterday

Intercooler
12-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Talking about bang for the buck... this thing rocks! It does more than my Eclipse CD5000 at 1/4 the cost. It has so many features I can't figure it out yet but on a CD it has zero noise and is the best I have ever heard. It has a CD rating of 120dB which is the highest I could find. Combine that with 4V pre-outs (3 sets), 13 band EQ, Time Alignment, etc... and I kind of wish I would have found it for my car before going to the Eclipse.

Intercooler
12-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Actually it is my Daughter's POS Sony :D I know some of their stuff is crap but don't see that in this piece yet. Why does everyone hate Sony?

jmanpc
12-27-2006, 01:34 PM
wait a couple months and youll see.

Intercooler
12-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Breakage huh?

Well I did a lot of research and didn't want to go in the $300 range for her first HU. I did want something with a lot of features where she could add an amp or something later. It was sattelite ready and for cheap you can add an I-Pod adapter. I got the HU and total install kit for $150 so if it breaks I am not out a lot. The other thing is the only other HU that has a strong tuner rating is the Pioneers. I didn't really like any of those though. The Eclipse HU has a absolutely horrible tuner! I can't even get the Eagles channel on mine and when I do it is static City. It has like a 10 dB tuner rating where the Pioneers are 7's and this unit is a 9. It should get channels pretty well and she will be listening that way for a while until she works enough to pay for an XM or Sirius bill. Spec's:

Features:

CD player with built-in amplifier
17 watts RMS

52 peak x 4 ch
plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs — including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and ATRAC3plus music files
flip-down, aluminum faceplate with fluorescent display
HDEQ with a 13-band parametric equalizer
loudness
BBE processing
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer
24-bit digital to analog converter
three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs
subwoofer controls
high- and low-pass filters
Aux Lite auxiliary input
CD changer controls
satellite radio-ready (XM or SIRIUS tuner, subscription, and antenna required)
CD Text compatible
CEA-2006 compliant amplifier
clock
SSIR-EXA AM/FM tuner
18 FM/12 AM presets
seek tuning
remote control
CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
FM sensitivity: 9 dBf

jdc753
12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal, where did you get the HU from? I have never heard great things about Sony, seems most don't like them. However I have been running my Sony HU for 6 years no and haven't had a problem. Mine is a first generation Xplod with the then new 52x4 peak. Its nothing special base $200 model and it has had a few hiccups here and there however it is still going strong after over 6 years of service. Best of luck to your daughters Sony, they don't get a good rap but not out of my book personally.

P.S. Just curious you say it has 3 outputs, ikesound lists it as having only 2 and saying the rear can be switched to a sub output. The one thing I miss having with my HU is only 2 outputs, I would like 3 and one being a sub out, if that is the case I am almost tempted to pick up this HU to give it a try

Intercooler
12-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I got it off of E-Bay. It has three sets of 4V's which is pretty darn good. A ton of features on this thing. I can also raise the sound stage with it which I played around with that a little today. She heard it for the first time today on the fronts and loved it! It plays CD's like no other with zero noise.

Intercooler
12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-CDX-GT705DX-CD-MP3-CAR-RADIO-RECEIVER-CDXGT705_W0QQitemZ170063372411QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 9753QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rich B
12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Sony needs to ditch that "Xplod" name as it has come to mean "cheap and ugly", and start making quality products with their "ES" name again.

Sony has become as well known for cheap crap as Boss and Audiobahn in the last 5 years, which is sad.

dgr00s
12-27-2006, 08:25 PM
sounds like you are pleased with it and it does what you need/want it to do.

good luck with figuring it out!:eek: :)

Frankensuby
12-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I have to say I sampled a Sony single-DIN flipout unit, and it sounded great. Had it hooked into a Kicker ZX and an Eclipse 12" in a sealed box with DB speakers, and it sounded extremely clean.

I had an XPLOD unit, wasn't great, but it did the job and had 7 different colors ;) That unit I sampled almost didn't seem Sony. I like.

jdc753
12-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Sony needs to ditch that "Xplod" name as it has come to mean "cheap and ugly", and start making quality products with their "ES" name again.

Sony has become as well known for cheap crap as Boss and Audiobahn in the last 5 years, which is sad.

I totally agree that Sony has gotten a pretty bad rep since they introduced the Xplod line. Would be nice to see the ES line stuff come out again, after doing a little research it appears this deck in the GT series is the higher end units. I can't comment on the quality of the product as I haven't sampled it personally but by looking at the features it appears to be a pretty higher end HU... 24 bit DAC, 4v pre-out, and many others that can't be found for the price, doesn't make it amazing though. I am tempted to try it out seeing as my current HU is over 6 years old and its treated me well so far.

Another quick question, how is the Aux input, is it on the back of the HU or on the front and is it a standard headphone jack or is it a specialty jack that would need an adaptor?

RipDaJacka
12-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Congrats! I have the a sony cdx-Wutever (check the signature) These Sony's are NIICE. Had mine for about a year and i have about 4 different ways to set my equilizers. and the sub output RCA jacks are a nice touch as well. hope you enjoy your H/U as much as I do

ultimate157
12-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Lol ... comparing a Sony to an Eclipse. :uhoh:

Intercooler
12-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Well I will say I will be honest on everything I say. If it blows I will tell you.

I finished up installing her rear speakers today and started messing with the MANY settings it has. I would have to check my Eclipse again to see but I know today on hers I was able to set the EQ for each individual speaker. I don't think my Eclipse I can do that. Also you can move the stage of any speaker up or down which again I don't think my Eclipse will do. I know with my CDT speakers I can buy an upstage kit to raise it but don't think it can be done through the HU where with this one I did today. The tuner was also as I thought today when I got the adapter for it and set the channels. It picks up channels better than the Pioneer in my truck and also 10X better than the Eclipse in my car. Like I said earlier I never listen to the tuner on the Eclipse because it *****! If I didn't have XM or CD's the Eclipse would be useless for normal listening. Also the time alignment seems more tuneable with this unit over the Eclipse. Worst comment I can make about this unit so far is using the menus. It has so many things you can adjust it makes it difficult. That and the way you have to do it with the buttons gets a little confusing as I hit the wrong ones at times and have to start over again. One other feature I like about this one which my Eclipse doesn't have (I think the 7000 does though) is a removable face. For a teen I think this is must to keep it from getting stolen! This is a lot of bang for the buck if you look at it!

I didn't take much notice to the plug for Aux but it is in the back. I am pretty sure it is a specific piece though. Most of the add-on stuff for this unit is cheap though.

Intercooler
12-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Congrats! I have the a sony cdx-Wutever (check the signature) These Sony's are NIICE. Had mine for about a year and i have about 4 different ways to set my equilizers. and the sub output RCA jacks are a nice touch as well. hope you enjoy your H/U as much as I doSo far so good! I looked on E-Bay and found yours. Similar but for some reason it is more but only has a 7 band EQ where hers is 13 :eek: Way too much to tune really! I think my Eclipse is only a 7 also. Here is your specs:

Features:

52 watts x 4 output power
Active Black Panel faceplate
plays MP3/CD/CD-r/CD-RW
xm ready
Full motion graphic display
ILLUMINATED blue button lighting
Hot fluorescent display
spectrum analyzer
SSIR-EXA tuner
ID3 TAGS with auto-scroll function
CD/MP3 Text display
18 FM/12 AM presets
seek tuning
BBE MP - New technology, which improves sound quality of MP3 files
Dynamic Soundstage Organizer
EQ7 - 7-band eq with 7 factory pre-set EQ curves
XM Satellite Radio control
CD changer control
CD/MP3 changer controls
rear auxiliary input
4-volt front, rear and subwoofer preamp outputs
high-pass + low-pass filter
rear aux input
clock
wireless remote
CD frequency response 10-20,000 Hz
CD signal-to-noise ratio 120 dB
FM sensitivity 9 dBf

How is your reception on the tuner? So far only one previous Pioneer.... I think 7600 come close to the reception I get with this one.

Intercooler
12-29-2006, 04:44 AM
CD-5000 for comparison:

Features

CD/MP3/wma/memory stick ready receiver/CD-R/W
Motorized Auto-Slide Faceplate
Full-dot VF Display
50 Watt x 4 mosfet amplifier
High voltage 8 Volt Preouts for Front / Rear / Non-Fader
E-iSERV audio and motion picture customizer
1 Aux Input and 1 aux input ready
Advanced 2 mode Sound Control DSP
Parametric EQ : 7-Band
Time Alignment
Circle Surround II
Listening Position Selector
Remote Control Included
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready
HD Radio Ready
iPod Ready
Crossover
5 pattern illumination
Multi-Harmonizer
E-LAN data link system
GPS Unit Ready for Area Shot & Digital Compass : Optional Unit GPS105 Required.
MEMORY STICK Ready

:D

adam71
12-29-2006, 04:45 AM

Says the guy with a entry level Pioneer.:uhoh:

ultimate157
12-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Says the guy with a entry level Pioneer.:uhoh:

I didn't say anything about my equipment, did I? I do believe Pioneer is much better than Sony either way. I know my HU is FAR from the best; It's my first one and it hasn't broken yet. Why replace it if it still works?

adam71
12-29-2006, 04:54 AM
I didn't say anything about my equipment, did I? I do believe Pioneer is much better than Sony either way. I know my HU is FAR from the best; It's my first one and it hasn't broken yet. Why replace it if it still works?

My point was (though not presented very well) that the Sony and Eclipse are probably closer in quality than you think. I personally wouldn't own an Eclipse or a Sony. I don't like Sony and I had an Eclipse once and had nothing but trouble with it.

BTW: I love Pioneer but will only use the higher end Premier units.

DiamondFanatic
12-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Congrats on your POS sony.

I'm sorry to the original poster that people on this forum have such an anti-Sony attitude almost as a reflex. Some of the products Sony makes are in fact quite nice, especially when the warranty offered and the price is taken into consideration. A year or so ago, Eugenics and I both noticed the unbeliveable quality and value of the CDX-F7715X (an older verison of the 605, which is as one might infer one step down from the new 705). I wrote a review on the unit that no one probably ever read that I don't even know if it still exists. Anyway, my point is that all too often people get too caught up in a name rather then the actual performance of the product. One person in this thread is a prefect example of that,

I do believe Pioneer is much better than Sony either way. I know my HU is FAR from the best; It's my first one and it hasn't broken yet. Why replace it if it still works?

Sorry to inform you of this ultimate, but your Pioneer is not better then his Sony. Your 3 band EQ really is not impressive in general, let alone when compared to his 13 band. Your 2 sets of preamp outputs really isn't as favorable as 3 sets. The list really could go on, better display, better warranty... so on.
When comparing products it is very important to look at features rather then a name. People comment frequently on the failure rate of Sony. In my experience they fail no more frequently then any other major brand. Pioneer for example made the DEH-P860MP (which I also used to own) that failed quite frequently (as mine did) for a variety of reasons (pre-amp noise due to bad grounds, mine had a defect in the face mechanism). Anyway, this is way too long of a reply. Sorry to intrude into your thread to the OP. Enjoy your new purchase :)

Intercooler
12-29-2006, 09:34 AM
I am. Actually when I was reading here I bought the Eclipse off of what seemed like some good feedback without doing much research on my own. For hers I spent pretty much an entire day on Crutchfield's site decifering the different ratings for tuners, CD play, range, etc... to see what was good or not. If I would have done this on the Eclipse I probably wouldn't have it to be honest (did I say the tuner blows?). Of note if you look the CD-5000 has a CD noise rating of 95 dB which I can hear that slight noise (being honest on this). This Sony is THE VERY HIGHEST I could find, even higher than the 110 dB of the Alpines out there. When playing a CD in the Sony I don't hear ANY noise at all. Just 100% clear. I haven't had this Eclipse back for repair yet but that Pioneer 7600 I did for a short in the face plate. Anything can have problems I guess. For a first HU going in a teens car or anyones car this thing rocks. It has a ton of tuning tools over even mine that is going to take me several hours to set it up right. How many HU's do you know of where you can set all 13 PEQ's for each individual speaker? That's frightening really!

ramos
12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Good to here man , glad she likes it . I'm not personally a sony fan , but there are a few sony products out there I wouldn't mind having :)

ultimate157
12-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Sorry to inform you of this ultimate, but your Pioneer is not better then his Sony. Your 3 band EQ really is not impressive in general, let alone when compared to his 13 band. Your 2 sets of preamp outputs really isn't as favorable as 3 sets. The list really could go on, better display, better warranty... so on.

I never said mine to his. His sony, two years newer and more money should be a lot better.

I know my HU isnt impressive overall. I use the amps to do all sound processing (albeit very little as it sits now) so the EQ on the HU isnt of any use to me anyway.

neonrt
12-30-2006, 12:37 AM
I never said mine to his. His sony, two years newer and more money should be a lot better.

I know my HU isnt impressive overall. I use the amps to do all sound processing (albeit very little as it sits now) so the EQ on the HU isnt of any use to me anyway.

the eq on the hu effects what the amp gets for signal. fyi ;)

MBrock4u
12-30-2006, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear your pleased with your Sony head unit. You know it is easy to get on the Sony bashing bandwagon around here. What my experience with Sony tells me is this. I used to have a Sony head uit. It was pretty good, but doesn't compare to my Excelon. My bother has one, and have friends that have a Sony head units. They seem to be alright. This is were it stops though. Their amps peter out fast, and their subs just plain ****. To the average Joe, thats ok, but to us, it just doesn't cut the mustard. Practical expereince tells me to stay clear of alot of their equipment, but their head units are alright. Enjoy your new head uit. I'm sure it's a nice one.

2kchevy06civic
12-30-2006, 05:46 AM
is this the unit where you can plug it into your computer? Or are those the models coming out for 07?

jaco
12-30-2006, 05:50 AM
i don't bash sony. never liked them though.
used to be strickley pioneer but last one was a lemon and it was high end.
face plate graphics just quit at about 3 months old.
since then i've been sold on JVC
only because of the SD card
and my newest one takes a usb drive.
**** i haven't listened to a CD in over 2 years.
i haven't actually bought a CD since 1999

Intercooler
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Sat in the car with my Daughter tuning in to her liking (1.5 hours) and she had smiles from one side to the other. For just reference series Pioneer 6.5's and 6x9's on HU power it sounds real good. Imaging is like my Honda after adjusting the heigth, width and depth of all four speakers. Set the LP off on the rears and adjusted the low band of the EQ for the rears up and left the fronts at 0 dB since it played real well there. I almost hate to admit this but her car with an amp and a 12" sub will just about outplay the system in my Honda :(

ultimate157
12-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Sat in the car with my Daughter tuning in to her liking (1.5 hours) and she had smiles from one side to the other. For just reference series Pioneer 6.5's and 6x9's on HU power it sounds real good. Imaging is like my Honda after adjusting the heighth, width and depth of all four speakers. Set the LP off on the rears and adjusted the low band of the EQ for the rears up and left the fronts at 0 dB since it played real well there. I almost hate to admit this but her car with an amp and a 12" sub will just about outplay the system in my Honda :(

I was also surprised when I got my pioneers from BB for $60 (for 4 speakers). Their reference line is pretty good for the price.

Glad to hear she loves her new system :veryhapp:

audiobahn12989
12-30-2006, 02:49 PM
if u like it then good for u my friend has a sony i installed and its been workin for about 4 years now with no problems

Intercooler
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
The guys here suggested the Pioneers when I first started piecing the system together and they were right! I can't believe how they play. Makes me think a little about what I paid for my pieces to basically not sound a noticeable difference.