PDA

View Full Version : Passive-Active Crossover question

CJKinney
12-26-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi, newbie here.. I have an Alpine MRV-F345 4 channel amp with crossovers built in. I also have 4 Boston Acoustics SL60 component speakers that I will be driving with this amp. These speakers have passive crossovers that came with them for both the tweeters and the 6.5's. I cannot find the crossover frequency for the mid-bass crossover, but I believe it is 45hz. My question is, do I use the passive crossovers from Boston Acoustics (obviously I will use the tweeter crossover) or do I remove it and use the active from the Alpine amp? Thanks for your help.

99StangGt
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Looks to me you are running front and rear comps? If so you cant go active from what I have read with that amp. To go active you need a crossover with a band pass for the mids and a high pass thats around say 2000hz for the tweeters. Also to go active with 4 speakers you would need 8 channels of amplification. Now running the comps with the 4 channel amp would be standard. Usually crossing the comps passive crossover with the amps high pass at around 80hz and letting the passive crossover the mids and tweeters.

CJKinney
12-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Yes, you are right. However my crossovers are actually two in one - a separate crossover for the tweeters and a separate crossover for the mid-bass. I can separate the two ss that each may be individually amp'ed or an active crossover can be used for the mid-bass.