PDA

View Full Version : Fi Q 12 ported with limited space, help please

dkmesa
12-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Could someone help me design an enclosure. I'm looking for something that would suit a 12" Fi Q. I was thinking 2.2 cuft at 32 Hz
My max dimensions are 36"X15"X10"

Right now I have a sealed enclosure that utilizes pretty much all the available space. It is 2.2 cubes. I was wondering if I could use aeroports? If so, how do you go about making sure the desired port volume/ tuning frequency is acquired? Also would the fact that my max depth is 8.5" put a damper on aeroports?

rpfuror
12-26-2006, 08:26 PM
You are pretty much stuck with what you have with the dimensions given. No matter how you look at it you will either choke the driver or the port area.

IE you can use a 4” aeroport @ 14.50” with your specs dimensions to get you 32Hz @ 1.9 cu/ft but that really isn’t enough port area for that driver.

HAVINGFUN
12-26-2006, 09:26 PM
If you can go with a slot port that will be the easiest way to make it work. Those aeroports take up alot of room on the inside with the flares on either end, you cannot just sneak it along a corner. You can get away with a single 4 inch aeroport with that sub and box size, I ran a Brahma like that with very very little port noise.

dkmesa
12-26-2006, 11:54 PM
You are pretty much stuck with what you have with the dimensions given. No matter how you look at it you will either choke the driver or the port area.

IE you can use a 4” aeroport @ 14.50” with your specs dimensions to get you 32Hz @ 1.9 cu/ft but that really isn’t enough port area for that driver.

Could I put it on a side adjacent to the sub or does it need to be on the face?

What about external ports? I think they are hideous but any suggestions for making that work?

If you can go with a slot port that will be the easiest way to make it work. Those aeroports take up alot of room on the inside with the flares on either end, you cannot just sneak it along a corner. You can get away with a single 4 inch aeroport with that sub and box size, I ran a Brahma like that with very very little port noise.

How does that sound and how do you know what tuning frequency you are getting by using port tube?

dkmesa
12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Would there be any way to make a slot port by utilizes my spare tire well like in the picture?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/dkmesa/subbox.jpg

dkmesa
12-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Would there be any way to make a slot port by utilizes my spare tire well like in the picture?

bump

HAVINGFUN
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
You can do that if the calculations work. I would just go with a 4 inch aeroport since it will take up the least space and it will have very little if no port noise at all. You can always do the "maze" type of port but they will **** up your internal volume and add a good amount of weight. The boxes I have had tuned low with a 4 inch aeroport sounded great and got plenty loud. If you had an SUV then sure go ahead and use 30 inches of port area etc but with the limited space you have to make sacrifices. I would build the box like the picture and fire the aeroport on the same side of the sub.

Use this site for calculations

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

dkmesa
12-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks, I might try that