PDA

View Full Version : join the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled.

req
12-26-2006, 02:59 PM
join the cult. (https://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page2IB-Gallery.html)

i cant wait to get a house.

req
12-26-2006, 04:59 PM
for real? no replies?

you guys ****.

mattmcss
12-26-2006, 05:00 PM
<3 you req

95ZJ
12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
What goes into building one?

req
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
not even a whole sealed box. honestly, theres a little theory you can find at the main section of the site, but its not much. basically make a duct that fits in the wall and rock away.

:)

James Bang
12-26-2006, 05:21 PM
hmmm.. i would like to have a trunk baffle install in my car.

req
12-26-2006, 05:23 PM
trust me.

trunk ib is fun.

bdawson72
12-26-2006, 05:31 PM
hmmmmmm may put teh q's in one afta im done with em

HotCarl
12-26-2006, 05:32 PM
https://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/page4IB-Gallery3.html

the one on the very bottom of that page = teh w1n

req
12-26-2006, 06:09 PM
yea that was a brilliant idea.

https://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/SUB5.JPG

acold7dusta
12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
whats the frequency response like in home IB installs, compared to ported to say 20 hz in home? right now i got a 2.6 tuned to 30 in my room, its fine for music but just takes up to much room

azbass
12-26-2006, 06:28 PM
do you guys sacrifice any small animals?

but i got some good ideas from that site..

LeofromtheH
12-26-2006, 06:31 PM
how does one of those setups sound? is it that much better than a sub ina ported box?

PESteele
12-26-2006, 07:23 PM
hmm how do you think an 18 inch Q in the door to my room would sound. How do you know how big to make that box or could you just cut a hole

thylantyr
12-26-2006, 08:17 PM
how does one of those setups sound? is it that much better than a sub ina ported box?

People argue about this all the time. I don't think one type of install is superior,
the specific install whether sealed, ported, IB, etc., should be judged. Many people
like the idea of having their subwoofer out of sight and the IB works for them.
I'd rather make a design with more horsepower as the IB setups push the woofer
into excursion too easy. What about a massive ported box in the attic with four
monster 18" woofers and 20kw of amp? That would probably destroy the drywall. lol

req
12-26-2006, 09:04 PM
honestly the big downfall of ib in home is that like thy said, it drives the driver into mechanical into max excursion to easy. so in order to make up for that, you need raw cone area.

so basically, theres no box space, but theres 2x or more woofers than in a normal application.

AcidicDreams
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I had two 15" IDW's critically damped (basically IB) and they where by far the best subs I've had. However 8cu ft of sealed box was too much for my 4runner. If I had a house I'd do IB for the fun of it.

Plus if it's out of sight it's easier on the WAF

thylantyr
12-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Plus if it's out of sight it's easier on the WAF

The 'WAF' is the biggest complaint from DIY speaker builders.

Gotta train the spouse at an early age to accept your audio madness,
so you tell them you want to install 20 woofers in the house to precondition
them... Then later, you say that you compromised and 10 will do and she is
now happy. harr harr /joke

phyphoestilic
12-26-2006, 11:14 PM
whats the frequency response like in home IB installs, compared to ported to say 20 hz in home? right now i got a 2.6 tuned to 30 in my room, its fine for music but just takes up to much room

U dont tune IB setups.

acold7dusta
12-26-2006, 11:27 PM
U dont tune IB setups.

i know, im thinking about making a new box, and how the frequency response of a 20 hz ported box would compare to an IB setup. i got 240 rms plate amp and a 12" assassin to work with in a small bedroom

baseballer1100
12-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Wow those are sweet.

ngsm13
12-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Who's pic was added with the Fi Q18's... three of them I think... in the attic?

nG

dkmesa
12-27-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm so doing that when I have a house...

bibby
12-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Interesting cult. I may join you guys.

pwuthedon
12-27-2006, 01:14 AM
hmm i bet they sound great

baseballer1100
12-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Not a bad cult to join.

IamDeMan
12-27-2006, 07:05 AM
I am already a member and on the map :)

IamDeMan
12-27-2006, 07:10 AM
honestly the big downfall of ib in home is that like thy said, it drives the driver into mechanical into max excursion to easy. so in order to make up for that, you need raw cone area.

so basically, theres no box space, but theres 2x or more woofers than in a normal application.
Correct, but you also gain great extension. A ported box would have to be REALLY big and tuned really low to obtain the same levels between 10-15hz that an IB can. I love the sound of mine. Since it is out of the way, you don't need to worry about how many driver you need to use ;) In this type of home install cheap displacement is king.

jdawg
12-27-2006, 10:59 AM
i know, im thinking about making a new box, and how the frequency response of a 20 hz ported box would compare to an IB setup. i got 240 rms plate amp and a 12" assassin to work with in a small bedroom

thats gonna sound like crap, you have no were near enough cone area or enough power

req
12-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Correct, but you also gain great extension. A ported box would have to be REALLY big and tuned really low to obtain the same levels between 10-15hz that an IB can. I love the sound of mine. Since it is out of the way, you don't need to worry about how many driver you need to use ;) In this type of home install cheap displacement is king.

my point exactly. where did that 24 pack of funky pups go?:naughty:

a great thing about ib, is the frequency response is real smooth and does not cut off harsh like bandpass or ported. you loose output, but you easily gain that back with cone area, and you dont necessarily need more power because the efficiency of the speakers is so great :)

the best part imo is the wow factor if you can hide the subs in the walls and behind grill cloth, and people say "what the hell? where is the subwoofer?!?!"

yea. i can not wait to get a house.

thylantyr
12-27-2006, 03:26 PM
A ported box would have to be REALLY big and tuned really low to obtain the same levels between 10-15hz that an IB can.

IB is big, it's your whole attic, lol.

What if you designed your house from scratch where your attic was
a tuned enclosure? It would be smaller in size vs. IB, have more efficiency,
the woofers will have less excursion near tuning, and higher power handing,
you can use less drivers but require more power to drive them to punish people.
Nobody does this really, it's too much drama to make, so IB is chosen for simplicity
at the expense of using more woofers and modest power.

harr harr harr :)

req
12-27-2006, 07:21 PM
thats exactly why i like IB. simplicity IMO is often superior to complexity. with more cone area you can get the same results and a wide frequency response with very little effort and floorspace used up.

im not a fan of building a gigantic ported box to build in the attic lol.

i like simplicity. thats just my 2 cents :p:

IamDeMan
12-28-2006, 05:45 AM
A ported box would have to be REALLY big and tuned really low to obtain the same levels between 10-15hz that an IB can.

IB is big, it's your whole attic, lol.

What if you designed your house from scratch where your attic was
a tuned enclosure? It would be smaller in size vs. IB, have more efficiency,
the woofers will have less excursion near tuning, and higher power handing,
you can use less drivers but require more power to drive them to punish people.
Nobody does this really, it's too much drama to make, so IB is chosen for simplicity
at the expense of using more woofers and modest power.

harr harr harr :)I know it is big, but it is out of the way in my "living" space. Making the whole attic a tuned enclosure would be too much *** kickage ;)

Scoobydoo
12-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a crawl space made out of concrete right under my living room about 20'x15'x4' that would be perfect. It has only one small 2'x3' opening to get into it and that could be sealed easily.

I have looked in but never been in there because there are probably alot of creepy crawly thingies that would frighten me:(

Also I rent so I cant cut a hole in the floor even though I really really want to.