PDA

View Full Version : I Know Nothing...

GCAdidas13
12-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I have some 6 or more year old reciever, Sony STR-DE335, does 100w into 2channels from what i've read, and probably half that into four channels. Here's pictures.

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00001XDZ3.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056652087_.gif
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00001XDZ3.01.BACK._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056652087_. gif
To the right of the FM Antenna coaxial: 5.1 CH/DVD
From left to right below the 5.1 CH/DVD: CD, MD/TAPE, TV/SAT, VIDEO.
Right of VIDEO is MONITOR on top and WOOFER on bottom.
The block of speaker terminals is REAR speakers then one CENTER speaker, and the block further to the right are four channels, Left and Right for both Front and Rear.

I used to have some Cerwin Vega bookshelves, but a tweeter is out and I'm ready to upgrade.

I have an Image Dynamics IDQ8 that I intend on using as a sub since I have no other purpose for it.

Now for the noobie questions:

How are crossovers set for the tweets and mids?
How does my sub get power and how is the crossover set?

Those are the main questions I'm looking for help on, but I also would enjoy suggestions on what speakers and tweeters to use, as well as what size/type of boxes to put them in.

I intend on building the component set and boxes myself. I don't want to buy a set of speakers.

Thanks,
Brian

ngsm13
12-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Hop on partsexpress, and look at some of the projects... should be some that interest you and fit in your budget. You can either build the Xovers, or I just used some caraudio Boston Pro passive I got for free :).

As for the subwoofer, easiest would be a plate amp, also available at partsexpress. May be a little more power than you need, but look at the BASH 500watt digital plate amp, on sale for a hell of a deal.

:p:

nG

joetama
12-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Hop on partsexpress, and look at some of the projects... should be some that interest you and fit in your budget. You can either build the Xovers, or I just used some caraudio Boston Pro passive I got for free :).

As for the subwoofer, easiest would be a plate amp, also available at partsexpress. May be a little more power than you need, but look at the BASH 500watt digital plate amp, on sale for a hell of a deal.

:p:

nG

Wang says "Your welcome" on those cross-over...

But, anyway, look at other people's designs and you can learn a lot. Try to figure out what will fit your music listening and enviorment the best. Then go from there...

ngsm13
12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Yeah man, I told him an Jason thanks. Couldn't believe they were all the same, that was great.

nG

joetama
12-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Yeah man, I told him an Jason thanks. Couldn't believe they were all the same, that was great.

nG

Are you still alive dude?????

ngsm13
12-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Yes, I'm alive.

Bars tongight.

Me and NAte holdin it down...

nG

joetama
12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, I'm alive.

Bars tongight.

Me and NAte holdin it down...

nG

Right on.... Good luck have fun and don't end up in jail....