PDA

View Full Version : remote start?

05_ZX636
12-26-2006, 03:55 AM
what all extra to buy to put remote start on car with manual shift? thanks

KaeZoo
12-26-2006, 07:47 AM
You need to buy a remote start that is specifically designed for a vehicle with a manual transmission.

kickinaudio
12-26-2006, 08:05 AM
You need to buy a remote start that is specifically designed for a vehicle with a manual transmission.

That is not true. Post facts, not what you've heard. And please don't post that you're some type of an alarm tech, because if you are, you're obviously a closed minded one. You need to open your eyes to the world and accept there are things out there you don't know, no matter what your profession is.

what all extra to buy to put remote start on car with manual shift? thanks

You need to get with an alarm installer who can help you with getting what you need. Depending on what car you own is going to depend on if you need anything or not.

CBFryman2
12-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I'd assume that if you have a modle that can be started in neutral (with out the clutched pressed) that you wouldnt need anything extra. Just be sure to leave it in Neutral when you park.

If You have to press the clutch it it all depends on the vehicle like Casey said. If it's electronic you may just have to set up some relays to make the ECU/Crusie Controll unit sence that the clutch is grounded ONLY when the vehicle is off or something similar to that. If it's mechanical you may or may not be able to have remote start on your vehicle.

I'm no professional alarm/security installer by any means. This is just what I assume you would need.

I persoanlly wouldnt get remote start on my vehicle because I'm in the habit of puting the transmission in gear and setting the parking brake when I park. Trying to start the vehicle in gear could lead to some bad things.

dreid
12-26-2006, 10:24 AM
be sure to get a installer who will use a pin switch or somekind of safety feature so the car wont start and hurt someone or something. Make sure the installer installs somekind of safety feature or uses a RS made for a manual and not auto tranny car

heyman421
12-26-2006, 10:26 AM
i actually saw a car in the university of akron parking lot trying to start, and it was rocking back and forth against the emergency brake

if that emergency brake wasn't on, it would've been a lot funnier :)

CBFryman2
12-26-2006, 10:29 AM
i actually saw a car in the university of akron parking lot trying to start, and it was rocking back and forth against the emergency brake

If the emergency brake is only set enough to keep the car from rolling the starter on many modles has more than enough torque to overcome that. :crap:

Chevyaudio
12-26-2006, 10:58 AM
You have to bypass the clutch saftey switch...in most vehicles its straight forward. Some all you have to do is engauge a switch "permenantly" by holding it closed.

Not many installers will do it, I know that I wont touch one. To much liability.

azbass
12-26-2006, 11:03 AM
im am an alarm tech. and my answer is, NO do not put a remote start on a manual.

azbass
12-26-2006, 11:06 AM
That is not true. Post facts, not what you've heard. And please don't post that you're some type of an alarm tech, because if you are, you're obviously a closed minded one. You need to open your eyes to the world and accept there are things out there you don't know, no matter what your profession is.

You need to get with an alarm installer who can help you with getting what you need. Depending on what car you own is going to depend on if you need anything or not.

in a way yes. but there are ones more designed for manual trans, ones that if the alarm is tripped, or it sences the car has been tampered with, it wont alow the car to start. thats the only kinda alarm i would alow in a manual. but i would not even bother with a remote start in one anyway.

CBFryman2
12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
I dont see the point in remote start anyway. Unless you are a sissy and want your car warm on a cold morning and are too lazy/sissy to go out and start it. In that case you are too sissy to drive a manual and you have an automatic anyway. On a manual I only see a point if you drive a rotary/turbo'd engine that needs the car to run before actually driving it.

Disclaimer

I'm not saying that if you drive an auto you are a sissy. I'm saying sissies drive automatics.

Louisiana_CRX
12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah remote starts and manual transmisions don't mix....It can be done but it isn't advisable....

kickinaudio
12-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Matt has seen my remote start in action! ;)

Cbfry, you're being obtuse.

LUV2BHATED
12-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Dont do it, sum kid at my school had it and like a week in a half ago he for got to put it the ebrake on and now his insurance is paying for 3 cars he sideswiped plus his own, i really dont think its worth it

pickup1
12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
very,very dangerous!

Louisiana_CRX
12-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Dont do it, sum kid at my school had it and like a week in a half ago he for got to put it the ebrake on and now his insurance is paying for 3 cars he sideswiped plus his own, i really dont think its worth it

Luckily he didn't hit a pedestrian....

Shyne151
12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I've done two... and the only reason I did them was because I knew the people, and I had to do them at home not work.

Both I had to bypass the clutch switch. I wouldn't recommend it if you are a forgetful person... leave it in gear and you're ****ed.

azbass
12-26-2006, 12:34 PM
thats why you find the wire that knows the car is in gear. tap the alarm in to that, so it kills it when its in gear...

KaeZoo
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Awww, how sweet.

I'm standing by what I said. There are plenty of quality remote start systems available that are made for manual transmissions, so there's no reason to try and hack one made for an automatic.

Shyne151
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
thats why you find the wire that knows the car is in gear. tap the alarm in to that, so it kills it when its in gear...

yah i guess you could hookup the nss wire.

thunder9500
12-27-2006, 07:07 AM

The car will still lunge when remote start is engage.

thunder9500
12-27-2006, 07:09 AM

Funny huh?

Now that's just what I want as I walk my 3 year old through a parking lot is some careless moron trying to remote start his manual car....a lunging car is enough to kill small children.

Have some sense people.:furious:

6spdcoupe
12-28-2006, 11:10 PM

Actually thats incorrect. Tapping the NSS wire will Not allow the engine to start or even power up the igitions. It will simply do nothing.

Show me a car with a NSS wire connected and the car still attempts to start and Ill show you a ****** installer.

6spdcoupe
12-28-2006, 11:14 PM

Facts are he is correct. Any reputable shop will not touch a remote start install unless its specifically designed for the manual tranny. Can it be done? Sure. Saftely? Not always.

Your also replying to a obvious general consumer. Tell him he can do it with anyone and he may try it...a samll child gets hurt and guess what...you lead him to that. Your not talking dealer to dealer/tech to tech here.