PDA

View Full Version : What comps sound like these?

12-26-2006, 02:08 AM
I know everyone says these **** and all, but im referring to the particular sound that Factory BOSE speakers (available in GM vehicles like Tahoe, Silverado, etc)produce. I really like the tonality and how the vocals are very easy to hear and decipher and everything sounds very natural. Obviosuly w/ it being externally amped it will be louder, cleaner, crisper but the overall sound is something that i like in our silverado. They are warm but still detailed. What set of comps out there below $400 in a 6.5 set produce similar kind of sound as these do?

Team Hammer
12-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Bose cuts out alot of the freq spectrum to get that sound.

You can listen to some MB's or Boston, But your cheating yourself keeping that bose.

12-26-2006, 02:33 AM
We have the Bose system in our truck. Do to a crappy tweet mount in my car (near door handle) i tend to get alot of harshness, so im trying to offset this w/o having to tune. I just wanna drop it in and be happy. I know the Bose are frowned upon but i like how they are never to bright and are always easy to listen to w/o having my ears ringing when having them loud. With my current polk momo's, i have to have them cranked to hear the words in songs because they get drowned out, but the brightness with these set up in unbearable in my particular install.

Im looking for something with a nuetral sound BASICALLY. midbass is also fairly important.

creyc
12-26-2006, 02:42 AM
People seem to hate the bose because they use cheap materials and smart acoustic engineering to get their sound. Their home audio stuff ***** completely, but I'm a fan of what they do for car audio.

You can certainly do better than bose, but you're gonna pay out the nose and invest tons of time doing it.

12-26-2006, 02:54 AM
***Im not sure im making myself clear, i DONT want BOSE stuff.

I just want a similar sound to these. I just figured i would use BOSE as an example because alot of people have heard these in GM vehicles with the option.

Pyro_By_Nature
12-26-2006, 03:02 AM
You do know, that bose has an EQ built in all of the radios that IS tuned to make them sound like that, right? Without that built in EQ, they'd sound like complete *** ;)

But, I know someone said their home stuff ***** earlier.Actually, it does not.Today a family member received a "bose wave music system" and was it impressive PERIOD? Not that impressive.But when you take into account the size, not bad.But yes, it's all marketing and a properly designed enclosure ;)

Bottom line is: Chances are you won't get the same sound by just "dropping in", real SQ doesn't work that way.

12-27-2006, 06:27 PM
What about the Rainbow Germaniums...? Do you guys think these would suit my needs? The tuning capabilites are really good on these so it might substitute for the lack of eq for me...

helotaxi
12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Turn the treble control all the way down and run your tweeters on the lowest setting (if you have variable tweeter levels available). Another option is to go with a full range (single cone) like the Bose drivers are. That will attenuate the highs nicely.

Hintzyboy
12-27-2006, 09:42 PM
The Rainbow Germs are very nice. Good midbass, and the CAL25 Silk VOF Tweet is awesome. I just ordered a st og the CAL 25 ALK tweets the other day. Should be here tomorrow :yumyum:

12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Turn the treble control all the way down and run your tweeters on the lowest setting (if you have variable tweeter levels available). Another option is to go with a full range (single cone) like the Bose drivers are. That will attenuate the highs nicely.

Thats what i do for a temporary fix, but it dulls out the lyrics and words in songs and makes them hard to understand. I want something that i can have the treb up to like 3 or 4 and loud w/o it stinging my ears and the germs seem like a nice idea w/ all of the tuning options they have, plus the silk tweet.

Im just wondering, since the cone of the midbass woofer is aluminum, if it will be to bright? I wouldnt think it would be, but can anyone chime in on this. My factory speaker holes arent the best spots so they can make something thats a bit bright, alot brighter than it really is normally...

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 12:28 AM
germs are the ***

Hintzyboy
12-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Metal cone material shouldn't matter a whole lot until you get to the upper frequencies. PM 6spdcoupe. He's very knowledgeable and will help you find a set that's right for you.

AcidicDreams
12-28-2006, 12:33 AM
You do know, that bose has an EQ built in all of the radios that IS tuned to make them sound like that, right? Without that built in EQ, they'd sound like complete *** ;)

But, I know someone said their home stuff ***** earlier.Actually, it does not.Today a family member received a "bose wave music system" and was it impressive PERIOD? Not that impressive.But when you take into account the size, not bad.But yes, it's all marketing and a properly designed enclosure ;)

Bottom line is: Chances are you won't get the same sound by just "dropping in", real SQ doesn't work that way.

For that bose wave radio, you can find stuff in the same price range and size that can beat it.... My parents have one and I was NOT impressed...

12-28-2006, 08:27 PM
So, i currently have a "carbon fiber" material dome in my polks as of right now, what kind of different sound is the aluminum going to put out? Anyone with the germs care to share their insight or someone who has heard them? I've never heard an aluminum cone mid so i have no idea what the difference would be from what i have now, although i will say i do like the overall tone of my mids now, but maybe wish they have a tad bit more clarity, but without being to bright and in your face..i like to relax and listen to my music so this is kind of important to me..

Team Hammer
12-30-2006, 09:07 PM

My Brother Inlaw got one last year and its been sent back twice for repair. It stopped playing anything. For the $2500.00 Price I think its crap.

He heard my Yamaha System $1900.00 and just stood there with his tonge out.:crazy:

Hintzyboy
12-31-2006, 03:41 PM
My Brother Inlaw got one last year and its been sent back twice for repair. It stopped playing anything. For the $2500.00 Price I think its crap.

He heard my Yamaha System $1900.00 and just stood there with his tonge out.:crazy:

Sad thing is that for either price, you can build a system that sounds 10x better.

Frankensuby
12-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Yamah is still great sounding right? When I payed attention to the audio side of them a few years ago, my older brother drooled over their speaker lines.

They still good?