PDA

View Full Version : mids in sealed pods

niqnak
12-25-2006, 03:37 AM
edit: after researching things alluded to in this thread i think maybe a 3-way system would be the way to go for me if i have things straight. let me know if i'm wrong, but i think i could..

run a tweeter in the stock location in the corner of the a-pillar, run a dome-style midrange in my kickpanels, and run a midbass in a custom sealed pod on my doorpanels

would this work well? and since they would be so much smaller im pretty sure i could better fit custom kickpanels for the midrange or would it really be necessary since they are dome style?

Thanks

Bake
12-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Most component mids will do better with more space than what a small sealed pod normally allows for so venting it into the door will probably be your best bet.

dkguitarist
12-25-2006, 11:00 AM
most mids are designed for IB setups (i.e. in the door). you can build small vented pods if you wish.

my xxx mids require a sealed pod tho (pretty big for a mid driver at that).

niqnak
12-25-2006, 01:37 PM
the pod wouldnt be all that smal, i probably have like .5 cu ft available, but i guess that is even too small?

iceteebone
12-25-2006, 01:58 PM
you can always add polyfill to the pod. i've found that my mids sound better in sealed pods then in deadened doors.

niqnak
12-25-2006, 02:03 PM
you can always add polyfill to the pod. i've found that my mids sound better in sealed pods then in deadened doors.
that was my plan.

my problem is that the stock location is in the kickpanels and its a horrible setup/location and there is hardly any room for custom kickpanels, the ones i have now i wasnt able to angle hardly at all because it took to much space. the doors dont really have any place to put a speaker into, unless i vent a custom pod into the door.

T3mpest
12-25-2006, 10:28 PM
After some searching I am confused on sealing up a kickpod or doorpod with a mid in it. I plan on making some custom doorpods to put the mid of my component set in and I'm not sure whether I should seal it up or not. What kind of airspace does a mid need if its sealed up or is it better to leave some sort of hole in the pod or what? If it matters, I am going to be running a Rainbow Germanium 6.5" comp set.

Thanks

Don't worry about making a pod. Germs, like most car audio designed speakers are designed for IB in mind. It's hard enough stopping door resonaces, let alone the resonsance of a tiny sealed pod built into the door. You'll most likely in end up finding making pods are a total PITA and end up giving you resonances in your midrange frequencies. Just seal up your door well, lots of matting and ensolite, then cover any large holes with plexiglass and mat over them too.

Curel
12-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't worry about making a pod. Germs, like most car audio designed speakers are designed for IB in mind. It's hard enough stopping door resonaces, let alone the resonsance of a tiny sealed pod built into the door. You'll most likely in end up finding making pods are a total PITA and end up giving you resonances in your midrange frequencies. Just seal up your door well, lots of matting and ensolite, then cover any large holes with plexiglass and mat over them too.

What he ^ said.

niqnak
12-25-2006, 11:41 PM
ive made pods before and can work pretty well with fiberglass. my problem is that there is no place in my doorpanel for a speaker, the stock location is in the kickpanel so the mids aim straight your feet. the doors are very shallow and the window takes up almost all the room i would have to put a speaker in. i was planning on making pods to attatch to the door panel. i guess i could make pods and try to vent them into the doorpanels..

squeak9798
12-26-2006, 12:59 AM
I would rather build custom kicks than custom doorpods.

I know you said space is limited.....but if you are going to the trouble of "custom"....I would rather optimize the speaker locations in the process.

Hebrew Hammer
12-26-2006, 02:56 PM

I know you said space is limited.....but if you are going to the trouble of "custom"....I would rather optimize the speaker locations in the process.

i knew there was a reason I like you :D

niqnak
12-26-2006, 03:19 PM

i have custom kicks right now, they drive me crazy since space is limited anyways and its a manual.

just out of curiosity, are there any mids out there designed to be put into a sealed enclosure?

Hebrew Hammer
12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
most dome mids are sealed back and work very well off axis....food for thought

niqnak
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
most dome mids are sealed back and work very well off axis....food for thought
this could work well, any particular brand or model suggestions? or any cone speaker suggestions with good off-axis performance?

niqnak
12-26-2006, 10:00 PM
after researching things alluded to in this thread i think maybe a 3-way system would be the way to go for me if i have things straight. let me know if i'm wrong, but i think i could..

run a tweeter in the stock location in the corner of the a-pillar, run a dome-style midrange in my kickpanels, and run a midbass in a custom sealed pod on my doorpanels

would this work well? and since they would be so much smaller im pretty sure i could better fit custom kickpanels for the midrange or would it really be necessary since they are dome style?