PDA

View Full Version : polyfill

jbl_marshall21
01-12-2003, 11:42 PM
would putting polyfill in the ports be bad or good? or would that just plug them up and make it be sealed? just been wondering

venom107
01-13-2003, 12:13 AM
The ports in a box are there for a reason. Dont plug up the ports. Most of the time Polyfill doesnt make a difference in porten enclosures. If you want to you can line the back of your box with it this may make a difference probly not though. Polyfill works best in sealed inclosures.

evo2k3
01-13-2003, 12:38 AM
do not stuff a ported box, the tunning of the ports is based on exact values of air desity and volume neither of which can be accuratley determined. you want the air to flow in a ported box, that would just be restrictive.

jbl_marshall21
01-13-2003, 01:26 PM
i was just wondering. not gonna do it though. i just put my ports in my box yesterday and and wondering if that was a secret for deeper bass. i guess it isn't

evo2k3
01-13-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jbl_marshall21
i was just wondering. not gonna do it though. i just put my ports in my box yesterday and and wondering if that was a secret for deeper bass. i guess it isn't

nope...the secret to deeper bass in a ported box is the ports :) that and volume.

terifi
01-17-2003, 05:17 PM
how does polyfill improve ____ in a sealed box, and what is blank, spl?

evo2k3
01-17-2003, 05:22 PM
yeah the blank is spl, and the way it improves it is by tricking the sub into thinking there is more volume than there is, it is not all that effective though. My understanding is it changing the speed of sound in the box (slows it down, but only by a small amount) so a wave my take 0.2 ns to travel across a hollow box my take 0.3 ns to travel across a stuffed box, hence tricking the sub. It is not the most effective thing in the world. Stuffing will also through off the tunning of a ported box because it does just that, trick the sub into thinking there is more space, but how much more space? you really cannot be exact so tunning to a frequency is difficault.

terifi
01-17-2003, 05:34 PM
so if you have the perfect size box, theres really no need for polyfill or fg?

evo2k3
01-17-2003, 05:54 PM
you got it

terifi
01-17-2003, 06:11 PM
excellent, and good thing mine is juuuuuuusssttt right, (down to the thousandths place :D )

paikiah
01-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by terifi
excellent, and good thing mine is juuuuuuusssttt right, (down to the thousandths place :D )

how can you be so sure? ;)
j/k...

BenTLocK
01-18-2003, 10:01 AM
polyfill wont do anything bad.. makes my qlogic seem bigger..

terifi
01-18-2003, 09:29 PM
why do i have it so close, autocad my friend...and simply geometry calculations :D
i think ill do that for my next box, im pleased with the current results, but am gonna go back and do better sealing, can never be to sure :)

paikiah
01-19-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by terifi
why do i have it so close, autocad my friend...and simply geometry calculations :D
i think ill do that for my next box, im pleased with the current results, but am gonna go back and do better sealing, can never be to sure :)

ah, autocad....kewl!~~

better sealing? The spit method I told you about? kk...good luck, eh?:D

paikiah
01-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jmac
Does anyone want to inform me of what AutoCAD is and where I can find it ?

huh???

Jmac, of all people...I thought you'd be an expert in CAD...

it's a computer aided drawing software...bloody accurate, if you ask me...

nearly all architects use it... 2D, 3D...oh, it's really complicated if you want to get really into it, cause I have no clue on how to use it, but one officer here uses it to design things and it looks just bloody incredible...
and to get one? hmm.. it's a **** expensive program... you'd have to get a bootlegged version, but with that audodesk thing, you'd need to acquire another registration number... the one that comes with the CD itself is not enough...

anyway, I think if you've got it, you won't become a post ***** no more, you'd be spending time designing some REALLY awesome boxes...

Randy Savage
01-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by paikiah
huh???

Jmac, of all people...I thought you'd be an expert in CAD...

it's a computer aided drawing software...bloody accurate, if you ask me...

nearly all architects use it... 2D, 3D...oh, it's really complicated if you want to get really into it, cause I have no clue on how to use it, but one officer here uses it to design things and it looks just bloody incredible...
and to get one? hmm.. it's a **** expensive program... you'd have to get a bootlegged version, but with that audodesk thing, you'd need to acquire another registration number... the one that comes with the CD itself is not enough...

anyway, I think if you've got it, you won't become a post ***** no more, you'd be spending time designing some REALLY awesome boxes... Ah, this is where I come in. AutoCAD isn't very difficult to use at all, quite simple IMO. It runs in the ballpark of $3,000. I do believe it's very hard to find bootlegged. I have the real version baby woohoo!! AutoCAD lite is also a nice lil program, a little easier to use. But AutoCAD is one helluva program, I think you'd really like it Jmac.

paikiah
01-19-2003, 09:40 PM
My office has audodesk 2002, but since I dunno hwo to use it, it's just collecting dust...

maybe it's time for me to start...it'll look better than my pencil and ruler drawings in my notebook...

Heresy
01-19-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a bootlegged version of it. It's only a 200 or so meg file. On a cable modem, I got it off kazaa in about 2 hours and that was slow.

terifi
01-19-2003, 11:33 PM
hah hah, autocad is like (one of) the leading designing software, made by autodesk, its nearly 2000 or so for the basic version, and it just goes up from there with more options, ive had very little luck finding it free off kazaa or the like, but maybe you can, if your into illegal stuff like that, lol, i think though that you can find the actual software on www.autodesk.com

somewhere in there, but its kinda difficult to use, the reason i did, was b/c i took two years of drafting that incorperated that program, but i wouldnt recommened it for someone that doesnt know much about drafting etc.

good luck tho, it really is a great program for anything from a mechanical part, to a car, to a 50 story bldg. :D

SoundsUnlimited
01-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Hey TERIFI..What part of North Carolina are u from?

Blake

ridered36
01-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Jmac
Does anyone want to inform me of what AutoCAD is and where I can find it ?

Autocad is a program usually used by engineers and such to design stuff. My dad uses it for everything. Im not sure where you get it cuz he got it throgh his work. I'm sure you could buy it somewhere, or u might be able to download it.

paikiah
01-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Hey, anyone know the scientific name of polyfill?