PDA

View Full Version : Assassin 8".

sqhertz
12-21-2006, 03:21 PM
ok well i made a thread about it in the general section and it got long so yeh.

i got my 8 in , made a sealed box (just under .49 cu ft before sub....or .48, one of the two) installed. im happy with its low-end , it just seem to lack on the upper sub-bass freq's. buggs me on alot of songs where the bassline is all over the place. i just want a flat response. :crap:
i was about to check out moelesters .9 @ 35hz design but its gone now. anyone have any design they could send my way? i want this ***** flat and as loud as i could get it with that i have.
its on a rf 350s bridged at 4 ohms , filter set at a lil under 100hz lp. gains 2/3 up (dmm broke).
:blackeye:

DFW40
12-21-2006, 08:10 PM
ok well i made a thread about it in the general section and it got long so yeh.

i got my 8 in , made a sealed box (just under .49 cu ft before sub....or .48, one of the two) installed. im happy with its low-end , it just seem to lack on the upper sub-bass freq's. buggs me on alot of songs where the bassline is all over the place. i just want a flat response. :crap:
i was about to check out moelesters .9 @ 35hz design but its gone now. anyone have any design they could send my way? i want this ***** flat and as loud as i could get it with that i have.
its on a rf 350s bridged at 4 ohms , filter set at a lil under 100hz lp. gains 2/3 up (dmm broke).
:blackeye:

get rid of the sealed and go with a medium sized box tuned to 33hz and you should see so increased upperbass output but if you tune too high you loose the low end and the flatness.

sqhertz
12-21-2006, 08:13 PM
i was out and i put in a bass cd i made with some sweeps. i played a 40-80 hz sweep not even half way though it , it just rolled off. maybe around 50-60 hz?

DFW40
12-22-2006, 09:10 AM
That is odd for an 8 inch sub to rolloff on the highend like that, if it were a 18 inch XXX that is one thing. Take it out of the box and run it free air and see what happens, keep the volume low so you do not hurt the sub.

sqhertz
12-22-2006, 01:20 PM
ill get around to that later. it seems to be lacking 'punchiness' and rolling off on teh higher freq's but since its breaking in more and more its playing a little bit higher but not as high as it should be.
ima send ascendantaudio an email and see what they say. cause all the reviews im reading on em , no one had this problem..

nismos14
12-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Call them, don't expect a response to your e-mail in a timely manner.

sqhertz
12-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Call them, don't expect a response to your e-mail in a timely manner.

theyre like that?? :crap:
i sent em an e-mail...shits wierd.

sqhertz
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
how is thier design on thier site for the single ported 8? bad port noise?
anyone care to shoot me a simple plan?
eh?

sqhertz
12-23-2006, 06:39 PM
anyone? :crap:

mlstrass
12-24-2006, 02:35 AM
I built their dual 8" ported box and no port noise. Seems pretty punchy and does get pretty low, even with the 40Hz tune.

sqhertz
12-25-2006, 03:11 PM
im sure its the sub and not me now.
i got a DMM yesterday and i just set my gain's properly but i used a 50hz tone instead of 60 but. im going to tune to 60hz cause the 50hz sounds a lil low.
target voltage was 18.7 but i put em at 18.5v with 50hz at 0db. sounds great on songs with lower bass lines like 'walk it out' , 'money in the bank' but on other songs like 'rosa parks' ,half of 'late night tip' and 'take it to trial' (57hz), where the bass is higher freqs, it just wants to roll off.
i havnt taken it out of the box and played with it free-air yet, but i wont be playing it free air so i think itd be irrelevant to do so. i probed the speaker leads to the sub and got 4.1ohm. hm.
no reply from aa yet. how is dealing with thier custo service?

sqhertz
12-25-2006, 08:37 PM
anyone?

helotaxi
12-25-2006, 08:53 PM
get rid of the sealed and go with a medium sized box tuned to 33hz and you should see so increased upperbass output but if you tune too high you loose the low end and the flatness.

What are you basing this recommendation on? The Assassin 8 doesn't want to be tuned nearly that low. It also doesn't want a big box. .6 per sub is about as big as I think I would go.

sqhertz
12-27-2006, 05:28 PM
i had just spoke to chad from AA. great guy.
ima do that design from thier site. he said its tuned to 40hz. but after that 8's big *** magnet itll drop to around 34-chec36hz. so ima k that out and see whats up. he was saying he had up in numerous setups (3-ways crossed at 120hz) and they slammed through the sub freq's.
i think it just doesnt like my box :( .

helotaxi
12-27-2006, 08:54 PM
My 2 are in .6cf each tuned to 38 hz. They don't have problems with going as low as any material I've fed them thus far.

mlstrass
12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Yep Chad is a great guy to deal with and knows his subs. You'll be much happier with the new box.

sqhertz
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Yep Chad is a great guy to deal with and knows his subs. You'll be much happier with the new box.

he was tellin me about a couple of his setups he had using these 8's. sick ****.
i got around to cutting the pieces for the box today. i have to recut a piece or two, but the other pieces came out **** straight.
i had to stand at home depot today for like 20 mins cause they hace 2 pieces of 3/4 mdf left and they wree banged up. long story short i got two 2x4ft sheets for 3.88 each , normally theyre 6.88. :)
but tomorrow the box will be complete mos def.

squeak12
12-28-2006, 07:04 PM
i had just spoke to chad from AA. great guy.
ima do that design from thier site. he said its tuned to 40hz. but after that 8's big *** magnet itll drop to around 34-chec36hz. so ima k that out and see whats up. he was saying he had up in numerous setups (3-ways crossed at 120hz) and they slammed through the sub freq's.
i think it just doesnt like my box :( .

I thought that as net volume decreases and all other variables remained the same, tuning increased....

sqhertz
12-28-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought that as net volume decreases and all other variables remained the same, tuning increased....

i wouldnt know. i was just stating what he told me.

xluben
12-28-2006, 10:21 PM

that is correct.

helotaxi
12-29-2006, 07:45 AM
I don't think that he was talking about the tuning of the box decreasing, but rather the usable output range of the box. 34-35Hz is about he half power point of my setup which is tuned to ~38Hz.

sqhertz
12-29-2006, 09:22 AM
i dont know?
piece are being re-cut today to assure a good seal. then starts the glueing.
i used elmers carpenter glue last box but i decided to give titebond II a try. seems a bit runny though. we'll see.
again , im sorry for lack of pictures but my cam took a ****.

sqhertz
12-29-2006, 04:06 PM
cuts are done. **** near perfect...well kinda. but it will seal fo sho. :)
got the back side glued and being clamped now. i keep seeing boxes with a painted port, is this for any reason or just cosmetics?
this is my first ported box build, is there any tips i could use?