PDA

View Full Version : Crystals have a Small Crackling sound

kicker06
12-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Umm, what could this be.

Sending around 200w a side to my Crystals. There is a slight cracklingish(lol) sound when the midbass gets going (which is unbelievable BTW). I am wondering if it's something in the door or something on the speaker (tinsel?). I am getting 120sq ft of Damplifier (on its way) so I haven't deadened YET.

Anyone have experience with this? I hope there is no bass boost on the amp on. I'll have to check. This happens when I have the system on the volume where I set the gains (47/63 on the volume knob), should I lower the gains?

Also, when I push on the cone (lightly) it is a lot softer than before, is this just breaking in?

Thanks and Later!

T3mpest
12-21-2006, 02:24 AM
your pushing the speakers too hard, you don't need to touch your gains, just don't turn it up that loud anymore.

Rochambeau
12-21-2006, 09:28 AM
T3mpest is right, if you are pushing 200wrms to them you are giving them too much power. Lowering your gains will solve the problem and is a safer alternative to disciplining yourself to keep the volume down.

Or maybe you could use that amp to bi-amp them instead of bridging it.

In the last 2 months, I have blown two woofers. One time was just that, pushing waaaay too much power to a set of Pro60s. Believe it or not, Boston warrantied them for me.