PDA

View Full Version : $200-250 component comparisons, specific models

coyote_5
12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I know there are alot of threads about these separately, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard these sets to compare them all or at least a couple of them. They all seem to be in the same price range:

Rainbow SLC265
A/D/S 346cs
Alpine SPX 177r

My listening habits are diverse but lean to hard rock/metal

I'm looking for speakers towards the warm/laid back end of the spectrum, I don't want tweeters that'll make my ears bleed....

other suggestions in the $200-250 range? Perhaps those pioneer premiers?

Thanks guys!

Here-I-Come
12-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I you can get the New Premiers 720PRS for that look no more. Not one of the 3 sets you list can touch them. This set Performs as go as set costing 2-3 times its their price.

alteraudiousa
12-21-2006, 12:17 AM
I would look at the ADS, Rainbows or CDT's. The Rainbows are quite liked around here and do well, a little too warm in the midrange but a nice SQ set of speakers. ADS have a good all round sound to them, little emphasized in the midbass section on certain things and the highs were as good as the Rainbows. The CDT depending on which set you go with have different qualities. EF have a good highs like the Rainbows but lack some of the midbass punch to them( a good SQ sub will compensate for some of it). The HD's are a good all round set that will match both of the others and do better IMO also but they normally cost more. The Pioneers have never impressed me as a loud, good SQ speaker and definitely don't match sets from ADS, CDT or Rainbow in the same price range. Only plus I see is they require little power.

PremierAudio
12-21-2006, 12:20 AM
couldnt have said it better my self!

joshs98runner
12-21-2006, 01:55 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIOTSC160R

I have been seriously considering those, if I could hear them right up against the SLC's I would be able to make a decision...I have heard the Pioneers in person and was very impressed when I found out they were made by pioneer.

Here-I-Come
12-21-2006, 03:24 AM
I would look at the ADS, Rainbows or CDT's. The Rainbows are quite liked around here and do well, a little too warm in the midrange but a nice SQ set of speakers. ADS have a good all round sound to them, little emphasized in the midbass section on certain things and the highs were as good as the Rainbows. The CDT depending on which set you go with have different qualities. EF have a good highs like the Rainbows but lack some of the midbass punch to them( a good SQ sub will compensate for some of it). The HD's are a good all round set that will match both of the others and do better IMO also but they normally cost more. The Pioneers have never impressed me as a loud, good SQ speaker and definitely don't match sets from ADS, CDT or Rainbow in the same price range. Only plus I see is they require little power.

Have you listen to this set ( http://www.pioneer.eu/images/eur/Pressrelease/2006/SpeakerRange_a.jpg ). I have and tons of other high end sets and I will tell you that this set is will kill just about anything ( Some of the upper end DIY kits will give them a run for their money) south of 500 bux . I had never been a fan of Pioneer mids and highs until I installed these. And yes I have used use ADS before and heard the best they had to offer, the same with CDT, I have own the Rainbow Platinum, Focal Utopia, Focal Xpert, Focal TLR, DLS Iridium, DLS Nobelium, Sony XES, Sea Execl, MB Quart QSD, Scan Revs, Moral elites and I will put money on these Pioneers will Kill the three set above. They do retail to over 500 bux but can be had for near half that.

Install is everything, But let your ears have the final say.

zOo
12-21-2006, 03:26 AM
u should have picked up the ads 3 SERIES compts. on cardomain for 160 a set, they sold out now..

dleccord
12-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Those Pioneers look ****. Any online stores that carry them for thus much with waranty?

Rome85CT
12-21-2006, 11:44 AM
i got me a set of Beyma components, they sure are sweet.

alteraudiousa
12-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Beyma sets are nice. I've tried the Pioneer components and they sounded good for pioneer but nothing I'd actually want to spend money on. I'd take the Polk Sig over the Pioneers. If you have a low powered amp than they were alright but hooked up to my Monitor 1's they should signs of fatigue when pushed pretty well. Pioneer tweets have never impressed me too much but those are better than normal. If you've tried all those sets of speakers and honestly think the Pioneer on right up there with them I guess my question to you is then what didn't you like about the others. The Morals and the Seas are some of my favorite sounding speakers and the Focal Utopia Be are an incredible set of speakers with an incredible price tag and very few sets have matched to composure those have at high volumes.

Hintzyboy
12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Have you listen to this set ( http://www.pioneer.eu/images/eur/Pressrelease/2006/SpeakerRange_a.jpg ). I have and tons of other high end sets and I will tell you that this set is will kill just about anything ( Some of the upper end DIY kits will give them a run for their money) south of 500 bux . I had never been a fan of Pioneer mids and highs until I installed these. And yes I have used use ADS before and heard the best they had to offer, the same with CDT, I have own the Rainbow Platinum, Focal Utopia, Focal Xpert, Focal TLR, DLS Iridium, DLS Nobelium, Sony XES, Sea Execl, MB Quart QSD, Scan Revs, Moral elites and I will put money on these Pioneers will Kill the three set above. They do retail to over 500 bux but can be had for near half that.

Install is everything, But let your ears have the final say.

This set is supposed to be awesome. Car Audio and Electronics Magazine called them the steal of the year in the Dec. issue, and it got very nice reviews. I don't know about the steal part though. The msrp is $550, but they are available at ikesound.com for 265.

Hoodlum007
12-21-2006, 04:08 PM
the premiers were listed at $220 last week and now they seem to be $250:crap:
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=4985

I would personally spend the extra few dollars and get the CDT Es Eurosports they have on clearance.:yumyum:

Here-I-Come
12-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Beyma sets are nice. I've tried the Pioneer components and they sounded good for pioneer but nothing I'd actually want to spend money on. I'd take the Polk Sig over the Pioneers. If you have a low powered amp than they were alright but hooked up to my Monitor 1's they should signs of fatigue when pushed pretty well. Pioneer tweets have never impressed me too much but those are better than normal. If you've tried all those sets of speakers and honestly think the Pioneer on right up there with them I guess my question to you is then what didn't you like about the others. The Morals and the Seas are some of my favorite sounding speakers and the Focal Utopia Be are an incredible set of speakers with an incredible price tag and very few sets have matched to composure those have at high volumes.

First I never said the Utopia Be, I said the Utopia which was before the Utopia Be. I liked the Focal Xpert series, better then the Utopia. I also like the Polk Sig line, but they also cost Twice as much as the the pioneer can be had for. All speakers have their weaknesses. I have really never been a fan of Moral's lower midrange, the Utopia (not Be) are little dark, kind of like the Dyna's and the DLS Iridiums really laid back, but natural. The Seas Excel are a little weak in the midbass, but man I love the midrange. I could go on and on.

Also I never said they were on the same level as the those super high-end sets. What I said below 500 bux retail you will be hard pressed to find a better set. I will agree on one thing they don't like a ton of power. I have the same question for you. What about the Pioneers you don't like.

alteraudiousa
12-22-2006, 12:42 AM
the pioneer to me has a weird feel to the sound like the Kenwood Excelon XXV components. Its somewhere in the high midrange to highs where it has an odd sound I can't describe but know i don't like. The speakers are nice but hard to keep composed at different volumes especially when using a little more power than it likes. With my setup right now I can go up to about 80% volume and my system has the same characteristics, it just get louder. The Pioneers and well most sets change their overall feel at about 60% volume either emphasizing the mids or in the pioneer's case the highs(mids and vocals) became a little overdone and exagerrated. Focals fall into the same place. For a set of speakers found that are offered in most shops and all and for being made from a "big" manufacturer they are a good set, sure gives an alternative to the JL's, but I don't think they will hold up to some DIY or certain smaller companies sets in the same price range. I would say they're about the same as the HD's maybe a little more naturally sharp tweeter(which I don't care for too much) but midrange is the same but the HD can handle more power and keep a better composure.

suleman36
12-22-2006, 02:32 PM
For the $200 budget you simply cant go wrong with the A/D/S/ 346cs. Specially if you want a good off axis performing set. That is the steal deal of the year in my opinion. Smooth highs and accurate natural midbass. WINNER!

Pete7874
12-23-2006, 05:37 PM
What I said below 500 bux retail you will be hard pressed to find a better set.
So you would choose these Premiers over Rainbow Germanium?

I will agree on one thing they don't like a ton of power.
What do you consider "a ton of power"? Would 75W per channel be adequate for them or is that even too much?