PDA

View Full Version : Accurate cutting?

lil azn 06
12-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Im about to start cutting when i realized my circular saw is broken so now i have to resort to a table saw and a reciprocating saw. My question is that when all the dimensions been drawn out onto the wood, do i cut it from the lines ive drawn or do i cut it a little before the line and sand it down til it reaches to the line?

Thanks

azbass
12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
cut at teh line, if you try sanding it down you will mess it up..

Chevyaudio
12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
If you want to cut a pannel 15 inches you have 2 options...

If using a table saw-Measure 15 1/8" and cut the line...

If using a circular saw-Measure 15 1/16" and cut the line

or Measure 15 inches, and cut on the outside of the line...leaving the line behind.

lil azn 06
12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
if the cut wasnt perfectly straight though, wouldnt i have to sand it down anyways? I know can just use silicone to cover holes anyways where its not straight but isnt it prefered to make it straight as possible?

phyphoestilic
12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
if the cut wasnt perfectly straight though, wouldnt i have to sand it down anyways? I know can just use silicone to cover holes anyways where its not straight but isnt it prefered to make it straight as possible?

Thats why u measure twice before cutting. u can always get 3 rulers or yard sticks or whatever ur using. stick 2 to measure the length u want it, than use the 3rd one at the end to make a perfect stright line.

and if u mean like messing up during cutting, silicon should work. I know my old box had silicone to cover the wiring holes and stuff.

acold7dusta
12-20-2006, 07:55 PM

lol what are we supposed to say, no?

lil azn 06
12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
No the measurements are accurate, its the cutting that isnt always accurate. But yeh i can work like that.

Lil Poot
12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
had to resort to a table saw? in my experience, a table saw is far better than a circular saw, unless i'm cutting my 4x8 sheet into 2 4x4 sheets.

96civ
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I agree that a table saw should cut better than a circular saw, but I have a table saw that seems to be unaligned or something because one side of the board never seems to be the same as the other side of the board. When I use a circular saw, by the time I'm done with a board, the box is unaligned... I just have no luck at cutting -- otherwise I would build sub boxes more often.

Lonewolf32
12-20-2006, 08:52 PM
When using a table saw Measure both ends of the fence. After locking it down measure both ends again. Then check it with a square if it is not square tap it with a hammer until it is. This will get you as close as possible to an accrate cut.

Paul73
12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
had to resort to a table saw? in my experience, a table saw is far better than a circular saw, unless i'm cutting my 4x8 sheet into 2 4x4 sheets.

+30funktrillion

I agree that a table saw should cut better than a circular saw, but I have a table saw that seems to be unaligned or something because one side of the board never seems to be the same as the other side of the board. When I use a circular saw, by the time I'm done with a board, the box is unaligned... I just have no luck at cutting -- otherwise I would build sub boxes more often.

sounds like either your fence is out of square or the blade angle is something other than 90 degrees.

When using a table saw Measure both ends of the fence. After locking it down measure both ends again. Then check it with a square if it is not square tap it with a hammer until it is. This will get you as close as possible to an accrate cut.

Exactly

btw Dewalt jobsite tablesaw with rack-n-pinion fence FTMFW. I have had this saw for almost a year now and have set the fence up ONCE and its still dead nuts square.....and I am a flooring contractor use it nearly every day, and it gets thrown in my work van. Great saw!

GrnEydDvl
12-21-2006, 06:23 PM
btw Dewalt jobsite tablesaw with rack-n-pinion fence FTMFW. I have had this saw for almost a year now and have set the fence up ONCE and its still dead nuts square.....and I am a flooring contractor use it nearly every day, and it gets thrown in my work van. Great saw!

How much does one of those run?

Fattony911
12-21-2006, 07:52 PM
+30funktrillion

sounds like either your fence is out of square or the blade angle is something other than 90 degrees.

Exactly

same one i have, don't know how i managed without one.

Fattony911
12-21-2006, 07:54 PM
3-400 i think, i first bought a cheap one but in this case it just wont work any way you try to work arouynd it. You pay for quality unless you find a deal on one at like a garage sale or newspaper for example.

96civ
12-22-2006, 01:36 AM
How would the fence get out of square? I think my inaccuracy might occur when I tighten the fence... I'll have to check on that.

ramos
12-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Like was said , measure both ends of the fence to the blade . Also if you have two or more panels the same dimension , cut them at the same time before you move the fence . That way you know they are exactly the same dimension :)

Pyro_By_Nature
12-22-2006, 08:23 AM
On some table saws, it can be hard getting the fence perfectly squared, but once you do, if you have a good blade.Man oh man it cuts time by 80%! vs. a circular saw that is.

Paul73
12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
How much does one of those run?

I paid $600 for mine brand new with a warranty (Lowes), which i highly recommend on tools of that nature. You can find them on the web for cheaper, but *if* I did have a problem I didn't want to have to deal with all the shipping hassles to get it fixed/repaired as I depend on it for business use and can't deal with any downtime. That being said, if you are a mechanically inclined type of person, Dewalt sells all of the repair parts you would ever need, so for the average person who will only use the thing a few times a year it may be worth it to you to save a couple of hundred bucks and forgo the warranty.

lil azn 06
12-23-2006, 11:28 PM
what about a circular saw with a laser to cut evenly? They are on sale at Sears for like 49 13 amps

Pyro_By_Nature
12-24-2006, 11:46 PM
what about a circular saw with a laser to cut evenly? They are on sale at Sears for like 49 13 amps

You ABSOLUTELY HAVE to have experience with a circular saw to get decent cuts free-hand.Even with a straight edge you can still mess it up.

Tablesaw if you can find the space for it/can afford it.If it's set-up properly, perfect cuts :)