PDA

View Full Version : Almost done with my box

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Well im almost done with my box but before I put he carpet on i need a question answered. (I'll post pics of the progress after the question is answered:yumyum: )

I used wood glue between the boards and then sealed the seams inside the box with silicon caulking. I was wondering do I need to put any silicon on the outside of the box where the boards come together? I used a good amount of it on the inside seams and all my boards fit together perfectly without any space.

j3bus2k3
12-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Nope.

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Thats what i was hoping. I had seen some people put some on the outside too but i was assuming it was because they cut the wood a little crooked or something and the fitment was off

j3bus2k3
12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Thats what i was hoping. I had seen some people put some on the outside too but i was assuming it was because they cut the wood a little crooked or something and the fitment was off

What you can do to check though is after its all done, installed and bumpin, take a feather to all the seems...if you see it moving, caulk it...

jdawg
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
What you can do to check though is after its all done, installed and bumpin, take a feather to all the seems...if you see it moving, caulk it...

I use a pubic hair, but yea it works the same

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Here is the first part...Top, bottom and the left and right sides
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ItalynStylion/SubStuff/ATT7453836.jpg

Here is the sides where Ill use another side piece to hide the carpet seams..
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ItalynStylion/SubStuff/ATT7453880.jpg

All sealed up except for the back which is ready to go on!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ItalynStylion/SubStuff/ATT7471745.jpg

scotsman
12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
nothing fancy here

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
nope, never said there was

I'm excited, the RL-i8" comes in 2 days:up2somet:

pimpedout97x
12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
thats a small *** box lol

saywhat?
12-20-2006, 05:11 PM
nothing fancy here

why the hell do you 06'rs say the stupidest ****.

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 05:19 PM
thats a small *** box lol

Yep, 0.82^3 ft. sealed

Most people told me that the driver on the RL-i shouldnt take up more than 0.1 so that should bring my net space down to about .72 which was what i was aiming for...

azbass
12-20-2006, 05:20 PM
that musta took you forever to build that amazing box.

lol.

you dont need any silicone on the out side. it just makes a mess.

cover that thing and have a listen.

j3bus2k3
12-20-2006, 05:21 PM
If you have the room, port it. You'll be surprised by the output...1.5ft^ at 32 hz will suit well...

scotsman
12-20-2006, 05:21 PM
why the hell do you 06'rs say the stupidest ****.
why the hell do you think yourself superior to others? Because you registered before me on a webpage? :uhoh:

azbass
12-20-2006, 05:25 PM
off topic. your not wanted here.

Kenny Pollock
12-20-2006, 05:37 PM
why the hell do you think yourself superior to others? Because you registered before me on a webpage? :uhoh:
Why would you post "nothing fancy here" in someones thread with a picture, with no mention of it being "fancy"?

BTW, Sugar Land is two words... you should know that....

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
that musta took you forever to build that amazing box.

lol.

you dont need any silicone on the out side. it just makes a mess.

cover that thing and have a listen.

I took my time. I glued each side and let it dry over night then drilled pilot holes for the screws. I even used this counter sink attachment for the drill to make a conical hole for the screw head to make sure they sit flush with the wood.

The carpeting and the 3m spray glue come in tomorrow so I should finish the box by the end of the day. I already have the amp and everything set up so all I have to do is drop the sub in, cant wait:naughty:

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
I'll try and get some pics too, I know the other ones were crappy camera phone pics but my digital camera broke the other day:pissed:

baseballer1100
12-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Why would you post "nothing fancy here" in someones thread with a picture, with no mention of it being "fancy"?

BTW, Sugar Land is two words... you should know that....

I agree.

SAG3
12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
You let the glue dry before putting in the screws? That defeats the purpose of the screws.

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 08:42 PM
I added weight to the top of the face that was drying so it was pressed evenly. Believe me, there is noooo space in between the boards...

PV Audio
12-20-2006, 09:04 PM
No, because you say stupid ****.

LeofromtheH
12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
lookin good. plan on getting a pair myself. lemme know how they sound

ItalynStylion
12-20-2006, 10:40 PM
lookin good. plan on getting a pair myself. lemme know how they sound

I sure will

jdc753
12-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I took my time. I glued each side and let it dry over night then drilled pilot holes for the screws. I even used this counter sink attachment for the drill to make a conical hole for the screw head to make sure they sit flush with the wood.

Not trying to nit pick or anything at all, looks and sounds like you did a great job, taking your time is the way to go :) However the main reason screws are used is jut to clamp the wood together while the glue dries, so by the way you did it you nearly defeated the use of the screws. I personally like having a half way decent amount of screws in a build even though the glue is the primary holding agent. So basically how I do it is cut everything, dry fit, pre-drill with counter sink, apply glue then drive screws and let dry. Just my 2 cents.

Other then that killer box :D keep up the good work and enjoy your product you crafted with your own two hands. I look foward to the carpet and listening reviews.

ItalynStylion
12-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Not trying to nit pick or anything at all, looks and sounds like you did a great job, taking your time is the way to go :) However the main reason screws are used is jut to clamp the wood together while the glue dries, so by the way you did it you nearly defeated the use of the screws. I personally like having a half way decent amount of screws in a build even though the glue is the primary holding agent. So basically how I do it is cut everything, dry fit, pre-drill with counter sink, apply glue then drive screws and let dry. Just my 2 cents.

Other then that killer box :D keep up the good work and enjoy your product you crafted with your own two hands. I look foward to the carpet and listening reviews.

thanks for the info man, I'll end up doing that next time I build an enclosure for sure.
The carpet should be here in a couple of hours and I'll try and get a few pics up when I've gotten the box all wrapped up.