PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with paint overspray

GrnEydDvl
12-19-2006, 11:18 PM
I was painting a box today and the paint pooled up in spots and started to run. I didnt have much paint so I didnt want to wipe it.

I ended up running out anyways.

Question is what is the best way to deal with the little gobs / drops of paint on the surface?

Can I sand them off and repaint that area? If so what grain paper should I use?

If I do an entire second coat should I sand the entire box again? Ive read of some people sanding between coats. Thanks, I am painting newb.

k.bean
12-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Seems to me like sanding down the blobs and then painting over would get the job done... Sanding the whole box probably isn't necessary. Roughing it up a bit might make the paint stick a little better, but I think it would probably be fine without it. Either way, paint is usually pretty forgiving, you can always paint over it! haha

P.S. depending on how big the blobs are it might be easiest to carefully cut them off with a flat razor blade and then sand down whatever remains.

Post some pics I want to see how it turns out :)

GrnEydDvl
12-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Seems to me like sanding down the blobs and then painting over would get the job done... Sanding the whole box probably isn't necessary. Roughing it up a bit might make the paint stick a little better, but I think it would probably be fine without it. Either way, paint is usually pretty forgiving, you can always paint over it! haha

P.S. depending on how big the blobs are it might be easiest to carefully cut them off with a flat razor blade and then sand down whatever remains.

Post some pics I want to see how it turns out :)

Razor blade is a good idea. The bigger blobs just gum up onto the paper. Gracias.

GrnEydDvl
12-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Anyone else have any more specific advice?

Dtrickz
12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
i would let it dry and wet sand it with a lil 360...if you dont have wet sand paper use some 400 dry or so..then just paint that spot again

helotaxi
12-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Make sure it's toatlly dry before you try to sand it or you'll just ruin a piece of sandpaper with no real results on the surface.

The lesson to take from all this is several light coats rather than one heavy one...

GrnEydDvl
12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Make sure it's toatlly dry before you try to sand it or you'll just ruin a piece of sandpaper with no real results on the surface.

The lesson to take from all this is several light coats rather than one heavy one...

Yes, I learned both of these points yesterday. I was in way too big of a hurry to paint it and then to fix it. And it is cold here right now, so the paint dries slower.

A lesson learned.

Oh, and **** paint. There, I feel better.