PDA

View Full Version : Questions about HT

iceteebone
12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
looking to put together something relatively cheap for HT. i'm pretty noob to this but i was thinking probably 2 towers, a receiver and sub is all i need. now for the sub i'll prolly use my 12" brahma since nobody wants it. now towers is where i'm having trouble. first i'm not sure how to make them or design crossovers, second i see a lot of kits that come with drivers, xovers and box plans, is this a good way to go? on the towers i'm really looking to spend only $200 or less on the drivers and xovers, is this doable? not looking for something superior, just something better then my tv speakers

rubicon
12-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Without much experience with speaker building or acoustics I'd stick with speakers from a local shop. BTW You don't need towers to get full range sound. That's what the sub is for.

I'd get some Paradigm Titans with that budget.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm

IamDeMan
12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
That brahma will sound good in an HT. Large and very low tuned enclosure.

Maybe for the price you can try these out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

They're definitely cheap and may give you more play with your budget for a nicer receiver than you planned. You can always upgrade when your budget dictates later.

rubicon
12-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Maybe for the price you can try these out http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-640

They're definitely cheap and may give you more play with your budget for a nicer receiver than you planned. You can always upgrade when your budget dictates later.

I second that motion. These look pretty good given the price range. Any decent HT receiver from a reputable manufacturer should power these fine and have a connection for a subwoofer.

iceteebone
12-21-2006, 10:59 PM
i guess i'm still confused as to the difference in towers and these bookshelf speakers, other then size

IamDeMan
12-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Well towers are usually of a 3-way design and incorporate an 8" or larger woofer. Bookshelves for the most part are 2-way monitors with a midbass/mid and tweeter. Towers can usually extend low enough to sound good without a sub. Bookshelves will need a sub to supplement the low end. That would be my best way to explain the difference. Of course this is only a "most of the time" description. I'm sure there are many solutions out there that go against these statements.

johnson
12-22-2006, 04:22 PM
two towers and a subwoofer is not a home theater

brandontw
12-22-2006, 06:47 PM
two towers and a subwoofer is not a home theater

Calm down.

Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.:rolleyes:

brandontw
12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Without much experience with speaker building or acoustics I'd stick with speakers from a local shop. BTW You don't need towers to get full range sound. That's what the sub is for.

I'd get some Paradigm Titans with that budget.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm

BTW where could i get some of those? ebay is a no-go...

1loudsuv
12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Calm down.

Surround sound is over rated, and people were using two speaks and a sub for their HT prolly before you were born.:rolleyes:

people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.

brandontw
12-22-2006, 07:24 PM
people were also using 8 track players

ht is whatever you want it to be.

but me if it isnt 5.1 at least for home movie viewing then your not getting the full experience

now if you listing to mostly music hten a pair of towers will do just fine.

eh...

iceteebone
12-25-2006, 12:14 PM
well i got one of those all in one deals from my sister. i think i'll give that a try since i'm not into home audio like car audio. if anything i could always upgrade the speakers since i have a free receiver now.

johnson
12-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Calm down.

might be the fact that movies didnt record surround tracks back then. hmm...

iceteebone
12-25-2006, 12:55 PM
might be the fact that movies didnt record surround tracks back then. hmm...

ok who said i wouldn't be adding surround sound? who really gives a **** if it's considered ht or not?

joetama
12-25-2006, 01:34 PM
HT can be 1x 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x 7x or 8x of speakers.....

Surround sound can be over rated.... But is still fun in and of it's self....

iceteebone
12-25-2006, 01:39 PM
basically want i wanna do is run my dvd player and xbox 360 off of it and play some cd's. this setup came with some little 6.5" subwoofer, so i can just replace that with my brahma, and then get 2 book shelf speakers? what if i ended up selling the brahma and just went with towers? where do i begin designing one? also i see they sell kits, are those any good?

joetama
12-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Well.... Have you designed any full range speakers before??? If not... See Parts express projects and READ READ READ READ.... Also check out some of the projects if you can find them over on HTGuide... That is if you have your little heart set on DIY!

iceteebone
12-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Well.... Have you designed any full range speakers before??? If not... See Parts express projects and READ READ READ READ.... Also check out some of the projects if you can find them over on HTGuide... That is if you have your little heart set on DIY!

no i haven't but i have no idea where to start and what is needed.

joetama
12-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Well start with figuring out if you want 4 or 8 ohms (I would go 8). Then figure out what type system you want. 2-way, 2.5-way, 3-way? Then pick your tweeter, then your mids, then your low driver (if a 3 way) Design a box, then design a cross-over with phase compensation and impedance compensation that works with your box tuning and drivers. Don't forget to displace deadening and bracing. Which you will want. Then build it and put it all together going with a nice finish so it doesn't look like a PVAudio project.

DBfan187
12-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Then build it and put it all together going with a nice finish so it doesn't look like a PVAudio project.:laugh:

ngsm13
12-25-2006, 08:10 PM
My HT looks kinda like a lemans project...

Still a little superior though.

:fyi:

nG

rubicon
12-26-2006, 01:34 PM
BTW where could i get some of those? ebay is a no-go...

I think you'd have to find a retailer near you, online is tough with these.

rubicon
12-26-2006, 01:42 PM
HT's are great but I'd rather have a very good 2 channel setup than a mediocre 5.1 setup. There seems to be too much emphasis placed on the amount of speakers just like in cars. Regardless of how many channels you have, the majority of sound in 5.1 comes from your front three speakers.