View Full Version : ok noob here needs some help

yo0123yo
12-19-2006, 06:23 AM
on sonic electronix it says that my speaker sizes for my 2004 impala are

* Front: 6-3/4"
* Rear: 6" x 9"
* Front door: 6-3/4"
* Rear deck: 6" x 9"

what is the difference between front and front door? and whats the difference between rear and rear deck?

ok i just got 2 12" type R's installed in my car and my stock speakers cannot keep up at all with the subs so i need some new speakers. i have no idea about any of this stuff so i dont know the difference between component speakers and regular speakers. can anyone recommend me some good speakers for my front and rear also a good amp for them? lets not go over a grand in price if possible

thanks a lot

phyphoestilic
12-19-2006, 06:29 AM
I know the rear is probably the rear doors, and rear deck is ur back dash. The first Front could be speakers in the front dash. but not sure

yo0123yo
12-19-2006, 06:50 AM
ok after looking up some more information and stuff i think id rather go with co axials over components, anyone got anything to recommend?

NJAV1
12-19-2006, 08:31 AM
ok after looking up some more information and stuff i think id rather go with co axials over components, anyone got anything to recommend?
For what reason would you rather do coaxial's if you don't mind me asking..

yo0123yo
12-19-2006, 11:57 PM
just cheaper i guess and the tweeters arent seperate, so can anyone recommend me a good set of speakers?

cnttouchths6777
12-20-2006, 08:41 AM
if your looking for better sound quality i would go with a set of components.. over a two or 3 way speaker.. if they where roughly the same price...
and the amp how many channels is it..

Echo42987
12-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I would highly suggest get a form of a component speaker!

-Nick-

Hintzyboy
12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
There are tons of nice component speakers for decent prices. Look into some Kicker gear if you don't want to mount mids and tweets separately. The grilles on the mids can also act as a mount for the tweets. Also Boston Acoustics have on-mid tweet mounts, and so do CDT Braxials. For that kind of money, yo can easily put together a nice setup. Coax's are fine for rear fill, but at least put somps up front.

DejaWiz
12-20-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah, go with comps up front. But if you want to stick with coaxs, go with the Pioneer REVs.

yo0123yo
12-20-2006, 03:22 PM
yea i was thinking about the REV 6x9 in the back and then some other comps in the front. how do amps work with speakers? i was thinking about the zx350.4 but i dont know if a 4 channel is good or not. any suggestions?

DejaWiz
12-20-2006, 03:37 PM
If you want to amp all 4 speakers, then a 4 channel is your friend. Look at this one (http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8014.html), as well.

yo0123yo
12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
ok and then i would wire the amp to 4 ohm and 4 channels right? whats a good pair of comps? are the type s comps any good? also is the kicker zx650.4 too much power or is that good?

Hintzyboy
12-20-2006, 06:30 PM
anything below type x pretty much blows. Never heard anything good about the type s, and I listened to some type r's the other day, and they started to distort pretty bad at less than half volume.

DejaWiz
12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
anything below type x pretty much blows.

Agreed. I have the Type X's on the Infinity amp I linked. And yes, you'd wire the amp for 4 channels and 4 ohms (if the speakers themselves are 4 ohms).

Rochambeau
12-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Boston Pro-60s or Pro-50s, they can be mounted either way. Or if your budget will hold it... Z6s (or Z5s). Crystal clear, smooth and they can get pretty darn loud.

In either case, if later on you decide you wanna break them out into components, you can. But they will do juuuuuuust fine as coax (which is what I would do if you are happy with the sound stage).

Alpine PDX 4.150 will give you gobs of power and it is very small and easy to install.

Total at ebay prices for 2 sets of Pro-60s & a PDX 4.150 is around $1,000. (Just be sure to Google the seller before you buy and search here too...) You can save more if you choose a lesser speaker for the rear, like something from Boston's SL line.

And a heads up, the Pros and the Zs are 3-ohm. Doen't matter if you use the PDX, but most amps will produce extra wattage over 4-ohms because of this. The PDX is rated same power regardless of how many ohms the speaker is.

Hintzyboy
12-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Go with the Pro60s or Pro 50s. The Zs are an older design, and I've heard from a few people that they actually like the Pros better. Do some research on them before you buy.

Rochambeau
12-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Go with the Pro60s or Pro 50s. The Zs are an older design, and I've heard from a few people that they actually like the Pros better. Do some research on them before you buy.

True. The Zs are set to be replaced soon, I hear. With a better woofer to improve midbass response.

Hintzyboy
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, Boston actually engineered a system into their amps to improve midbass because the Zs were pretty well criticized in that regard. And for a noob, the Pros are a very nice set. Really, anything more would be a waist, because I doubt he has the skills to tune and image the speakers well enough to really bring out the potential of Top-line speakers.

Rochambeau
12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Boston actually engineered a system into their amps to improve midbass because the Zs were pretty well criticized in that regard.

Yeah, I got a set of the Z6's... After I deaden my doors I plan to look at putting in some midbass in the empty 8" sub enclosure built into the Mustang door panels.

You are most certainly correct though, the extra $$$ for the Z's is certainly not worth it unless the installer knows how to make the most of them (something I am learning as I go).