PDA

View Full Version : Noob tweeter question. Help please.

LSBoogie
12-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Long story long. Had Kicker 6.5 comps with aluminum tweeters (tweeters mounted in factory dash location) found them entirely too harsh when listening to metal. Bought a set of Diamond D661s (silk) switched them out with the kickers, still found them too harsh. Then had the tweeter cut into the door panels. Getting better but still too harsh. What can I do/add to help cut down the high frequencies?

Crossovers set to -2db for tweeters.
Running passive.
Deck is Kendwood Kac-879 (i think thats the number. old school 8 series with the auto flipping face).
have tweeter setting to 10k (lowest available) have highs set to -8 (lowest again).
Running entire system off of a Alpine class T 5 channel (75 x 4 + 250 x 1---birth sheet shows 111 x 4 354 x 1 @ 12v).

One problem I run into with the -8 setting is that it makes the whole system sound muffled. Its just the really high frequencies I need to help to reduce.

What can I do? Can I add something like a eq to help this? Any reccommendations on an eq? Oh, I have three kids so budget is tight too.

I know I know, I want it all and I want it cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Trey803
12-18-2006, 07:14 PM
You should have mounted it lower in your door panel closer to the woofer...thus giving you a better blend of woofer and tweeter and also reducing the harshness of your tweeters being to close to your ear

Thieroff
12-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Set it to upwards of 15k on the deck, i find 10-15k the harshest to my ears

Run it at maybe -5 or so

An EQ may help, but new tweets would be about the same price

Diamond tweets are usually harsh, in my experience

If you want a laid back tweeter look into some CDT sets, they can be had at around 50-100 bucks, depending on model

Silk domes, and not very harsh at all.

Hit up DjDillioDon on aim and he could get you hooked up

Oh, btw, my IDQs sold, just so you know

CT

LSBoogie
12-18-2006, 07:20 PM
They tried to get them as low as possible but the door panels are kinda goofy shaped (much like the car's owner) therefore could not be very low in panel. I mentioned putting them in the kick panels but they said the imaging would be ruined by passengers and such.....

They sound really good (to my untrained ear) while listening to rap, pop or country its just that metal gets to making the ears bleed. Esp Drowning pool :crying: Gotta have bodies cranked when stuck in traffic....

LSBoogie
12-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Set it to upwards of 15k on the deck, i find 10-15k the harshest to my ears

Run it at maybe -5 or so

An EQ may help, but new tweets would be about the same price

Diamond tweets are usually harsh, in my experience

If you want a laid back tweeter look into some CDT sets, they can be had at around 50-100 bucks, depending on model

Silk domes, and not very harsh at all.

Hit up DjDillioDon on aim and he could get you hooked up

Oh, btw, my IDQs sold, just so you know

CT

Grats on the sale. Been really kicking myself for not hopping on them but as you can see I have been having tweeter issues. I'm not the best at cutting holes in panels or doing custom mounts so I ended up spending money on having them installed. And, to top it off, they cut one about 1/2" lower then the other. I have to talk to the manager and see if they are going to buy me a door panel now...sad sad.

I was afraid it was going to come down to replacing the tweets. Would I be ok running the CDT's off of the Diamonds crossover? I need to make sure that the actual size of the tweeters is the same as I don't want to have to replace "both" door panels.

I never thought of trying to increase the frequency curve for the highs. Gonna try that on the way home. Thanks.

Thieroff
12-18-2006, 07:27 PM
hmm, really what you'll have to do is find a set of tweeters with the same impedance as the Diamonds.

Passive crossover networks are based upon a drivers impedance.

If you have a DMM check the impedance of the tweeter, if you don't ask them if you can use theirs at the shop.

CT

LSBoogie
12-18-2006, 07:34 PM
k. That makes sense. I'll try to cheat and look it up on Diamonds site later tonight. Is there a certain model of the CDT's I should look for? I def want to go silk but I don't know how their "levels" work (I.e. do the entry level ones stink or are they good quality, stuff like that).

Thanks again,

Mark