PDA

View Full Version : How to identify refurbished gear?

fenderskirt66
12-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey all-
I am finally about to buy a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS off Ebay. I noticed there is a $20 - 30 price difference in the units advertised as refurbished. I don't mind spending the extra money to get a factory new unit. My only worry is the ebay seller might pull a switch er' roo and send me a refurb and i'll never know. Do you guys know if there is anyway of identifying refurb gear or do I just hope the seller is honest?

Many thanks to everyone on here that takes time out to post.

Fenderskirt66

02parkave
12-19-2006, 11:10 AM
the refurbs ive gotten from pioneer came in a plain brown box that says factory refurbished on them, and their is a sticker on the unit saying refurbished.... btw- ive had better luck with refurbs than new from pioneer.

fenderskirt66
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
I guess it makes sense that refurbished gear may be just as good, if not better, than the factory new stuff because I would imagine the equiptment is gone over with a fine tooth comb and is checked for any potential problems. Hell, maybe the refurbed P880's are corrected of the ground noise issue as well. What do you all think, should I just go for a refurb instead? How about the faceplate's on refurb's? Would they let a faceplate go with micro sctratches or would they ensure everything appears good as new?

Thoughts?

Thanks Again,
Fenderskirt66

pwuthedon
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
you may get some scratches

02parkave
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
On what? the faceplates are replaced with new... so, do you mean on the chassis? who cares? you dont see that.... if you are a perfectionist, though...

reneeb7363
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
do the new units still come with "Warranty VOID" seals on them? If that's been broken it leaves a residue on the unit where it used to be... (duno of they still do that tho... have to ask the pro's in here--I'm Old skool)

fenderskirt66
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Yea man..not really concerned with chassis. But would like a flawless or new faceplate since it's going into a show car. I would be stoked if the unit had 100% functionality, clean faceplate, and was cured of any noise issue.

The refurbs are like 30 dollars cheaper.

It sounds like the refurb may be the way to go....

02ParkAve - Is there any warranty or Pioneer service available on the refurbs, or is it a total gamble?

02parkave
12-19-2006, 12:14 PM
yeah- their is a 90 day parts and labor warranty.....not a new ones warranty, but off of ebay- a new one wouldn't have any, so your better than nothing... (from my understanding) i actually have a refurb pioneer avic-d1 sitting in a room downstairs, if you would like i can take pictures of the chassis and faceplate, etc. to give you an idea of what a refurb from pioneer comes and looks like... lmk if interested!

fenderskirt66
12-19-2006, 12:26 PM
That would be great if you don't mind taking some pics! That would give me a better idea of what to actually expect :) So getting a refurb off Ebay would give me a 90 day parts and labor which is better than buying a new one and getting no backup whatsoever. I'll PM you my email address if you need it for the picks. I appreciate your time!

Fenderskirt66

zachzchw
12-19-2006, 08:42 PM
On what? the faceplates are replaced with new... so, do you mean on the chassis? who cares? you dont see that.... if you are a perfectionist, though...

Who told you that?
The faceplates arent replaced unless that is where the problem was.

pwuthedon
12-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Who told you that?

i thought that too, but i already made my point here

Louisiana_CRX
12-19-2006, 08:55 PM
My dealings with refurbs is more problems than usual...I'd rather take a chance on buying something used than refurbished...once an amp or radio has fried there are no telling what other parts are weakened...you can expect more than expected problems...Why do you think they only give a 90 day warranty? They are just hoping it last another 90 days....

matrxx dude
12-19-2006, 09:32 PM
look on ebay under hu

02parkave
12-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Who told you that?

who told me that? no one told me.... the 3 or 4 headunits ive bought refurbed from pioneer have ALL came with new faceplates.... im not just going off of "he said, she said" bullshit.....