PDA

View Full Version : Si Mag 2x12 build.

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
4.2 Vb, 32hz, rounded inner and outer slot ports. Mags coming in the mail on Monday. Figured I throw together a nice place for them.

Rounded the inner and out ports edges. Still not done sanding or deciding what I want to do for the outside. The fleckstone I did on the BTL box looks great but was kinda pricey. Mebe leave it bare this go round.

http://static.flickr.com/143/324566282_b9342a7e0d_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/136/324566284_7bcade2dbf_o.jpg

NoLimit
12-17-2006, 02:20 AM
lookin nice :)

vids when its installed :D

BlackMaxima
12-17-2006, 02:20 AM
can you paint it??
what color is your car??
pait that color useing car paint or something like that, soo it will match the paint on the car.

its just an idea

dkmesa
12-17-2006, 02:21 AM
That looks good man

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 02:25 AM
can you paint it??
what color is your car??
pait that color useing car paint or something like that, soo it will match the paint on the car.

its just an idea

Picture of the current box. Truck is black. Interior is black leather. Painting is a pain in the butt when it is cold and raining all the time.

http://static.flickr.com/115/309697075_f5c15610dd.jpg

I spent around $30 on paint on the last one :( . I guess it isn't that bad but bare is so much cheaper :up2somet:

BlackMaxima
12-17-2006, 04:43 AM
what color is the body color.
is that car paint? the one you see on the body of the car.
thats what im planning to do .

how about black leather ???
cover the box with leather?
it will match the seats.

SAG3
12-17-2006, 04:50 AM
How is your truck handling that amp? More pics of sub and amp install, please. Make it like shiznilti's box http://www.caraudio.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1657261.

xluben
12-17-2006, 10:35 AM
4.2 Vb, 32hz, rounded inner and outer slot ports. Mags coming in the mail on Monday. Figured I throw together a nice place for them.

i believe that's the same specs as loyd's (bigbassman) box, except he's using aero's out the side (and it's in a hatchback).

looks very good so far.

you should wrap it in black leather, with a bit of poly underneath for the padded look (like vinyl installs). that would look sweet!

32tl
12-17-2006, 01:48 PM
How is your truck handling that amp? More pics of sub and amp install, please. Make it like shiznilti's box http://www.caraudio.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1657261.

Here's the right link: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199866&page=3

And I agree. That box is sick.

BlackMaxima
12-17-2006, 08:27 PM
i believe that's the same specs as loyd's (bigbassman) box, except he's using aero's out the side (and it's in a hatchback).

looks very good so far.

you should wrap it in black leather, with a bit of poly underneath for the padded look (like vinyl installs). that would look sweet!

Thats what im saying, black leather.
its going to look sooooo cool

vetkilr
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM
So now your doin 2 12" Mags instread of the BTL???

rpfuror
12-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Man you did alot of sanding on that box.. Looks nice the way it sits.

Immacomputer
12-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Beautiful enclosure! Stain that **** red mahogany!

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 11:41 PM
How is your truck handling that amp?

Seems fine. I am totally stock electrical (130 amp alt) and it seems to do OK. I really only notice sub 12.6 voltage drops at the headunit on one song - Beats for my Van. I forget who it is by. For some reason that main note that repeats over and over is hell on the electrical.

Group 31 Yellow Top is on the way this week. Big three sometime soon. My stock wiring seems pretty thick for stock. Looks like 4 or 2 gauge for the main ground and alt to battery+ run.

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 11:42 PM

looks very good so far.

In Loyd we trust.

I figure he might have a pretty good idea on how to choose a box. :laugh:

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 11:46 PM
So now your doin 2 12" Mags instread of the BTL???

I am going to give them a try. I think it might be a better match for my single battery, 2500 (potential) watts setup. Although I have no real issue with the BTL's sound quality, I think it is safe to say the Mags will edge it out in that dept.

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Man you did alot of sanding on that box.. Looks nice the way it sits.

60 grit sandpaper is my friend. By hand it even things out nicely. I need to go by some 150, 500, and mebe 1000 to really make it shine... if I stay bare.

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Beautiful enclosure! Stain that **** red mahogany!

Yeah? Won't the edges soak up more than the sides?

Do you have any howto's or pics of stained MDF?

I would really like to do a black veneer but that **** is expensive and hard to line up from what I hear.

My Klipsch Rf-7's are black veneered MDF. They look nice.

http://www.klipsch.com/images/1226/400x400.aspx

Immacomputer
12-18-2006, 12:03 AM
This is an enclosure I stained with dark walnut:
http://www.IMGBoxUpload.net/upload/files/imagebox_1166414840_r96.jpg

I didn't treat the wood at all before I started staining. If I had it to do over, I would have used a pre-stain treatment on the wood that you can find at lowes or home depot. This would have prevented the ends looking all ghetto.

As for putting the stain down, I used a regular paint brush and painted it on. This gave me the slight streak marks that make it look pretty nice. I applied it just as the directions say and after you let it sit a minute or two, you wipe off any excess stain. I did quite a few layers of stain and an uncountable amount of layers of polyurethane. I quit sanding between layers since I was mainly going for a cheap and decent looking way to waterproof the enclosure.

GrnEydDvl
12-18-2006, 12:11 AM
How many days did it take for you to paint it?

Yeah, see that is what I am afraid of the ends ending up like. I want uniformity.

That box is glossier than a mother****er. Does it look that shiny in real life or did the flash make it shine like that in the photo?

Immacomputer
12-18-2006, 08:01 AM
How many days did it take for you to paint it?

Yeah, see that is what I am afraid of the ends ending up like. I want uniformity.

That box is glossy than a mother****er. Does it look that shiny in real life or did the flash make it shine like that in the photo?

If you seal the enclosure with a pre-stainer, the ends should not absorb like they did for me.

It took me two days to stain it and I think it was about 5 coats of stain. It then took about 4 days to put the polyurethane on but it took about an hour or longer in between coats. I quit sanding in between coats because I got lazy. And yes, it is that glossy and actually looks a little bit better in person.

squeak12
12-18-2006, 09:10 PM
If you plan on stainining a box, I would recommend joining the corners with 45* angles in the corners so there is no end grain showing.

xluben
12-18-2006, 09:20 PM
If you seal the enclosure with a pre-stainer, the ends should not absorb like they did for me.

It took me two days to stain it and I think it was about 5 coats of stain. It then took about 4 days to put the polyurethane on but it took about an hour or longer in between coats. I quit sanding in between coats because I got lazy. And yes, it is that glossy and actually looks a little bit better in person.

all that and it still looks like crap :laugh:

jk, it looks alright, but not my style.

if you want that type of finish, why not just do some veneer?

then when you're finished it will actually look good :)

(same goes for the gloss black box, similar look could have been achieved much more easily w/veneer)

ssj2xxgotenxx
12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I normally don't say this, but I say don't do anything to it. That is by far, one of the best bare boxes I've ever seen. Probably because of the rounded edges and no screw design. Good stuff.

Immacomputer
12-18-2006, 11:57 PM
all that and it still looks like crap :laugh:

jk, it looks alright, but not my style.

if you want that type of finish, why not just do some veneer?

then when you're finished it will actually look good :)

(same goes for the gloss black box, similar look could have been achieved much more easily w/veneer)

Yea, I could redo the ends but they are waterproof as it is. That's really all I was going for and veneer would not have given me this. I wasn't going to use resin because I couldn't locate any cheap and didn't really feel like dealing with it.

It wasn't much work at all but it took quite a bit of time to let the stuff cure. My current enclosure is sitting in my garage waiting to be coated with a gloss black finish. This one should look much better and all the end grain is taken care of with wood filler. I'm going to primer it since I won't be staining it so that should help as well. The test piece I have looks very nice but it always seems to work out like that. The test piece I had for the stained enclosure looked very nice and very very rich. Even though I just threw it around and didn't care about it, it's finish looked much better.

xluben
12-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Yea, I could redo the ends but they are waterproof as it is. That's really all I was going for and veneer would not have given me this. I wasn't going to use resin because I couldn't locate any cheap and didn't really feel like dealing with it.

It wasn't much work at all but it took quite a bit of time to let the stuff cure. My current enclosure is sitting in my garage waiting to be coated with a gloss black finish. This one should look much better and all the end grain is taken care of with wood filler. I'm going to primer it since I won't be staining it so that should help as well. The test piece I have looks very nice but it always seems to work out like that. The test piece I had for the stained enclosure looked very nice and very very rich. Even though I just threw it around and didn't care about it, it's finish looked much better.

ah, waterproofing. then it seems like a better option, still not digging the look, though.

wouldn't spray on bedliner be waterproof?

i'm thinking of trying some of that to finish off a quick, throw togther set of bookshelf enclosures to stick my (no longer used) infinity coaxials.

Immacomputer
12-19-2006, 08:21 AM
ah, waterproofing. then it seems like a better option, still not digging the look, though.

wouldn't spray on bedliner be waterproof?

i'm thinking of trying some of that to finish off a quick, throw togther set of bookshelf enclosures to stick my (no longer used) infinity coaxials.

I tried spray on bedliner and I didn't care for the look or feel at all. I never checked to see how water resistant it was but I wasn't going to use it on this enclosure. One can also barely covered a 1 cubic foot enclosure with two coats (not enough for a decent finish) and cost me about $6. I wasn't going to be spending $30 or more for a finish I didn't like. The staining only cost me about $12 total.

GrnEydDvl
12-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Painted and painted. Sanded MDF to two coats gray primer to 2-3 coats of Krylon "Metallic" textured spray paint to 3 coats of Krylon black "wrinkle" spray paint.

Strangely enough the final coat did not wrinkle but it turned out really nice nonetheless. Deep glossy black that almost looks like vinyl from the texture. Finish is far from perfect but from a few feet it looks solid. I still have some learning to do when it comes to sanding and painting.

One more round of smooth sanding and one more round of the "wrinkle" paint would prolly make it 99% perfect.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/328852412_6cc7b2ba07_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/328849891_5eeabc894b_o.jpg

2nd pic is enhanced to show the finish a little more. 1st pic is more accurate for color on my mac.

Overall I am happy the way it turned out.

bdawson72
12-21-2006, 03:07 AM
nice

Calikid
12-21-2006, 03:07 AM
:wow: that a **** *** box.

Immacomputer
12-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Very, very, nice looking.

baseballer1100
12-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice.

vetkilr
12-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Sweet now wheres a truck shakin apart vid.........

RAINMAKA
12-23-2006, 07:28 PM
thats make me want to paint my next box