PDA

View Full Version : Anyone make their own dash kit??

Fred85
12-16-2006, 04:51 PM
I've got a '01 jeep cherokee and the only two dash kits i can find are the metra and the scosche, i can't remember which one i've currently got..........but both kits are pretty much the same

anyway, they're both made out of crappy abs plastic and they're flimsy

so i was thinking about making one out of fiberglass and making it really stout, has anyone ever made their own??? i would make it out of metal but i don't own a welder

adam71
12-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I've got a '01 jeep cherokee and the only two dash kits i can find are the metra and the scosche, i can't remember which one i've currently got..........but both kits are pretty much the same

anyway, they're both made out of crappy abs plastic and they're flimsy

so i was thinking about making one out of fiberglass and making it really stout, has anyone ever made their own??? i would make it out of metal but i don't own a welder

I'm seriously thinking of making one for my newest vehicle. I'm going to be using a Premier P9 headunit and I want to make a silver-colored or aluminum looking front face to match the head unit. I'm not really sure how I'm going to do this yet but I think I will use a scoche kit and just modify the front face. Buddy of mine actually used mirror plexi on his mounting kit of his old car.

db_is_my_friend
12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
i made one out of wood and put vinyl over it looked pretty nice alot of time and work to make it look good but it was overall worth it.. good luck with the build

killahbean
12-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Ive done it on my benz cause at the time I couldnt find any dash kits available.....Its really not that hard

azbass
12-16-2006, 06:31 PM
how about modding the one you have?

pimpedout97x
12-16-2006, 06:31 PM
im gonna make one for my explorer, i hate the **** plastic shits from autozone

Fred85
12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
how about modding the one you have?
idk, thought about it.......just seems easier to make a new one

i have plenty of room for a thick front piece, which is the one of the flimsiest (word?) parts of the plastic kits

anyone use wood???

xtremekustomz
12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Dash kits are too simple. j/k.

http://www.undefinedcustoms.com/images/dashinstalled.jpg

I'm doing a dash, console, amp rack, and woofer box in my 2000 Extended Cab Silverado right now.