PDA

View Full Version : Learning Remote FTMFW!!!!

brandontw
12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
well i got this remote with my reciever, and i finally got around to programming it and its da bomb !
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9193/rc391mvs4.jpg

Ive had remote with learning features before but never bothered to use it... but i got sick of a pile of 6 remotes, so i decided to try it out.:yumyum:

It controls everything perfect, not all half assed like regular universals, casue i can program the special buttons for my digital cable, and the inputs for my TV and stuff. And i got rid of 5 remotes. im using it for the reciever, cable box, TV, DVD player, CD player(dont really use it),and VCR.

Sweetness! and it has a macro funtion so it will tun off all my devices at once...

anyway, im probly newb for thinking htis is cool, but i like it, and i had to share my enthusiasm.

ss3079
12-15-2006, 08:35 PM
I need one of those ...

I'm tired of five remotes.

saywhat?
12-15-2006, 08:38 PM
why not.....get up and turn the thing on? Not like you gotta change channels with a receiver and ****.....just the TV. So have a TV remote, and get up off the **** couch for the res.t

BAsK510
12-15-2006, 08:40 PM
all the universal remotes that i've had, like u said are half asses...they never do everything i would need em to so i still have like 6 remotes....so i just deal with it...uses up alot of batteries ftl...

BAsK

GrnEydDvl
12-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a Logitech Harmony and it is a godsend.

It allows my 7 year old stepdaughter to operate and TROUBLESHOOT the entire home A/V setup all while I sleep in on Sunday. Plus it is just convenient as all hell.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933

wgaede
12-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I have a Logitech Harmony and it is a godsend.

It allows my 7 year old stepdaughter to operate and TROUBLESHOOT the entire home A/V setup all while I sleep in on Sunday. Plus it is just convenient as all hell.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933
i hope you didn't buy it for that price...

i'm buying one as a gift to all my roomates. because we use 3-4 remotes depending on watching tv, or movies. i think we will all enjoy it.

faulkton
12-15-2006, 09:44 PM
z0mg!!2!1 welcome to 2001... ;)

learning remotes are the shiz...

explorer2
12-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Harmonys are the best. It seemlessly operates my entire system, I have 2 right now. Its so incredibly simple anyone can do it, want to watch tv? Press watch tv and cable box tv and reciever come on, all set to the correct inputs and modes perfectly.

faulkton
12-15-2006, 09:52 PM
one touch control is ****.

DBfan187
12-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I've had a kenwood learning remote since waaaaayyyyyy back, like 1994 or so.

brandontw
12-16-2006, 05:23 AM
i saw that harmony at target but it was like 100$ not worth it for me.... so i picked up an extra RCA learning remot to replace our 7 remotes for the living room, im hoping it will replace the xbox remote too, thatd be sweet.

heyman421
12-16-2006, 05:42 AM
i bought the very 1st harmony 2 or 3 years ago for $100 at cc, solely for the purpose of finally having a remote for my dad's old late-80's rear projection tv, that we lost the remote from WAAAAAY back..........

it was old enough that universal remotes wouldn't operate it, and a normal learning remote was, of course, not an option, since the original remote was missing.

being able to download codes off the internet saved the day, not only did it work with that old tv with no trouble, but i even downloaded the codes for the ps2, which i never bought the remote for.

very cool toy, and the new ones are even better

bigbangtheory
12-16-2006, 08:41 AM
Might look into one of those if I can get a good deal on the Harmony. I am real sick of like 5 remotes as well. Would be nice to do everything with one.

heyman421
12-16-2006, 09:02 PM
anyone have experience with the rf universal remotes?

the remote itself is rf, and comes with a rf-to-ir relay that you set by your devices you want to control.....

i'm thinking about getting my dad one for christmas, since he has to open the doorto his entertainment center to control the cable box/receiever/dvd player, since it's inside a cupboard, behind a door

just wondering if anyone had used rf-to-ir relays before, and knew if they worked very well. The **** thing's $100, so i'm not gonna get it for him out of blind faith

explorer2
12-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Get an ir reapeater system. I made one for one of mine and have the ir reciever hidden behind one of the speaker grilles. The harmony has excellent range, I can sit on the couch and point the remote behind my head and it still recieves.

hoss
12-16-2006, 09:06 PM
RF remotes are awesome. great range :)

i have one of the harmony remotes, the 880 model. i love it. far from "the best", but a great interface, great adjustability, and incredibly simple to set up and use.

heyman421
12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Get an ir reapeater system. I made one for one of mine and have the ir reciever hidden behind one of the speaker grilles. The harmony has excellent range, I can sit on the couch and point the remote behind my head and it still recieves.

that's what i got him, it was $50, but the more i think about it, the more i think i should've spent the extra $50 and got him the actual rf remote, since he doesn't have a universal.

$100 for an rf remote plus the repeater is cheaper than $50 now for he repeater, and another $100 later for a universal.......

what do you think?

explorer2
12-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I spent literaly $5 for an Ir receiver from radio shack, some phone cable, an old cell phone charger, and a mono headphone style plug. Then I just used the sr+ control inputs and outputs on the tv.

heyman421
12-17-2006, 02:32 AM
ya, i decided just to give him the ir repeater

i made my final decision based on the fact that if i got him the rf remote, then he's stuck with that remote.

if i just get him the ir repeater, he's free to use any remote he wants, so he can upgrade later on, cuz as cool as my dad can be, i don't have $300 to blow on the crazy color harmony remotes they have now, plus i have no way of knowing if the rf remote is actually any good.

i'll look into that sr+.......... that would actually be even better for him.

his components are all on seperate shelves in the cabinet, so an actual hardwired control would be ideal.

i never knew if the ir 1/8" jacks on a/v equipment was universal, tho........

can i just daisychain all of his components, regardless of manufacturer? or should i stick with the repeater?

GrnEydDvl
12-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Might look into one of those if I can get a good deal on the Harmony. I am real sick of like 5 remotes as well. Would be nice to do everything with one.

I highly recommend you get one. One button to switch from watching tv to playing xbox360 without getting off the couch.

The best part has to be one button OFF. Hit the off button and everything shuts down. Works 99% of the time the first time. I just hit it and walk away.

And to whoever commented, no, I did not pay retail for mine. It still felt pricey at first but it has been some of the best money I have spent on home theater.

rtillaree
12-17-2006, 03:43 AM
oh yea learning remotes are excellent...

harmony FTW

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9632/imgp2601rp7.jpg

1loudsuv
12-17-2006, 05:26 AM
oh yea learning remotes are excellent...

harmony FTW

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9632/imgp2601rp7.jpg

heh learning remotes are cool but heh harmony>all under $500

i love mines even my girl can use it without problems one button turns on the receiiver switches it to the right input, turns on the ac,turns on the tv and switches it to the right input, and turns on the dvd players and pushes play, and whole lot more :yumyum:

i love mines :naughty:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/DSC00417.jpg

iamamp3pimp
12-17-2006, 05:30 AM
no one has a pronto eh?

TSU9600 is looking bad ***.

bri487
12-17-2006, 05:40 AM
the denon touch screen that came with my receiver is awesome. works well, backlight is bright, it isnt overly sensitive, and you can you each button for multiple controls when it is in different modes.

its really silver with a blue screen
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/images/clip_image002_029.jpg

MikeofTulsa
12-19-2006, 08:29 PM
harmony 880 and 550 are my fav's

i own the 550, and my buddy owns the 880 and i love that it has the charging base with it.

Ruthless Pastor
12-22-2006, 04:42 PM
The latest reviews on Amazon.com make me skeptical to buy the 880. It seems that Logitech updated their firmware and it has rendered some remotes useless. There also seem to be a lot of defective units where the connection between the remote and charger base is faulty. I'll be curious to see how this get resolved.

heyman421
12-22-2006, 04:44 PM
people probably don't know what they're doing, or they ****ed up the firmware flash somehow