PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter problem.

the727kid
12-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Ok, like it says, this happens only at high volumes and only on certain songs. Seems to only occur on bass notes as well, also it is only the right tweeter. These 2 things have led me to believe either A. clipping or B. crossovers too low. First off I lowered my gains, they are bridged off a 300/4, which should be set at around 150watts, they are set at around 110 right now. Didn't help. Then I raised my crossovers from 80hz to 93hz, did not help at all either. Now I am at a standpoint, only one tweeter does it, any ideas? I might try switching the wires on the amp to see if it is the amp its self (the side those speakers are hooked up to has already gone bad and been in for repair).

albarran9
12-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Let me know how it goes with the trouble shooting cuz i have the same problem with my alpine type r tweeter. its allways the right tweeter that sounds like its blown on some songs with certain high pitch notes, but sounds good with other songs that dont go as high. i have already replaced the tweeter twice. once with an alpine amp and then with an mtx amp and the right tweet keeps on blowing. the left one still sounds like new. :mad: :furious:

the727kid
12-15-2006, 02:46 PM
It's not the highs it pops on for me though, its mainly when the bass hits, cuz if I play a songs intro thats real high its good and then on some bass notes it will pop.

albarran9
12-15-2006, 03:51 PM
well a tweet shouldnt be playing low notes in the first place. thats probably what is wrong with the set up. maybe a bass blocker on the tweet would help from the low notes from getting to the tweet?

the727kid
12-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Bump, any ideas? I may change the wiring leading to the x-over next week when I put in the battery and new box.

the727kid
12-18-2006, 07:42 AM
****, ya'll all experts and no one knows?

3.5Max6spd
12-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Perhaps because you are not clear....is it the tweeter? or is it the midbass? bass notes?

If you are straining the tweeter with certain material at high volumes, use the higher xover point for the tweeter provided in your xover. AND set the gains ACCORDINGLY, with a DMM or scope....bridged amps have a tendency to not put out easily even power without careful gain setting.

the727kid
12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
I am almost 100% sure it is the right tweeter on bass notes, I can go check in a little once the neighbors have left for work. Using a higher xover point in the crossover I don't think would work because both xovers are teh same and only the right one does it. And my gains are set lower than accordingly (was set proper but popped more, so I lowered).

3.5Max6spd
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I am almost 100% sure it is the right tweeter on bass notes, I can go check in a little once the neighbors have left for work. Using a higher xover point in the crossover I don't think would work because both xovers are teh same and only the right one does it. And my gains are set lower than accordingly (was set proper but popped more, so I lowered).

How did you set the gain? If by eye, its not a proper way of doing so. You may be clipping one side and not the other if your output is staggered. Did you read anything I wrote?

the727kid
12-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I set it with a DMM, Yea I read what you wrote lol.

3.5Max6spd
12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Well, you may want to try changing that xover point on the passive xover and see what happens-if its set to the lowest value. Also have you checked to see that all jumpers are tightly secured'?

the727kid
12-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Will check everything you listed and get back to you.

the727kid
12-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Alright, well I'm an idiot lol. I checked it and listened carfully it is the mid-bass (currently have the Eclipse mid-bass in and not the Germs), turned up the crossover on the HU to 180hz(****, thats high) and it went away.

MrSwiss
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
if its poppin it is obviously the low notes. high notes that are too strong will only distort, not pop it. Try a "bass blocker". Right now i have some inline crossovers to rememdy this.

the727kid
12-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Don't need one, my HU can basically block it with its crossovers, plus the Germs are going in soon and I doubt those will pop lol.

crazy4ozs
12-18-2006, 06:43 PM
i had a similar problem and it turned out to be a very simple solution, when i spliced the wires in side the door, sumhow the pos and neg made contact...and that was MY problem...so i guess ill just say what everybody says in thses problems...check your connections :)