PDA

View Full Version : Would SLC's be an upgrade?

12-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I have Polk Momo MMC6500s currently and am considering swapping them out for a couple reasons:
1. not enough midbass
2. looking for clearer and more detailed mids

Would the Rainbow SLC's give me more of either of those 2 things?

I like the Germs but not sure i wanna spend that much...

PremierAudio
12-13-2006, 11:23 AM
I like Polk a lot, but do feel some of their products are missing here and there. I have never listened to your set of components before, so I cannot make a direct comparison. I would guess though that they would be fairly close to the SLC line. With that being said and you also not wanting to spend as much as the Germs. You may want to look into the CMX line. They are a little bit cheaper than the Germs while still providing astounishing midbass and overall clarity. If you like the Polks, you will most likely love the sound of Rainbows.

12-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Bump

theothermike
12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
i second the cmx suggestion, the cmx have amazing clarity which you probably like from the polks, because the cmx has a metal tweet, which isnt harsh at all. The cmx's also have a very very good midbass response like the germs.

Id say the cmx's is set to get from the $300 or less than range. It can compete with some 450$ speakers other brands offer like the polk sr series, both with there +'s and -'s. id say the polk sr would have a nicer tweeter. both great crossovers, and both good drivers.

Mike

Trey803
12-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I would say spend your money on install like deadner or fiberglass pods. This will give you the most midbadd improvment for your monsy

63mopar
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
I just got my CMX's put in yesterday and they are great. I haven't had alot of time to tune but so far I am very happy. Like Trey803 said spend money on some deadening and you will be happy. I used SSaudio Damplifier and it is very easy to use. I went from Diamond Hex's and the CMX's seem to blend much better with my sub and the overall SQ of the Rainbows to me is much better. The midbass is great and the tweeter is very clean. The crossover gives you a bunch of options for tuning the tweeter to your liking.

Good Luck!

12-18-2006, 10:52 PM
My car is already completely matted and sealed. Kickpods wont work with my car because it has a clutch (STi).

The Polk Momo's I have now have a silk tweeter, and i dont think i really want a metal tweeter. I've been trying to pm 6spcoupe about the cmx's with the silk tweet because i had read on here that you could do that too, but he hasnt gotten back to me :crap: