PDA

View Full Version : two ideas for new sub install

darren700
12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
ok, right now i have just some 6x9's and a deck in my 97 cavalier 2 door. i have a set of cdt hd-62/m6 components, and eventually i plan on putting a system back in. so far i plan to use a merlin md23 for the components.. for the bass im still on the drawing board, i was considering making two sepeate boxes at 2.2 cu ft each that are 15.5 x 16 x 28 deep and sliding them in next to eachother in the trunk with 2 12" subs facing into the cabin from the fold down seat opening.. will seal the trunk from the cabin by fiberglassing wood to the frame... i was thinking either doing that so i have 2.2 cu ft at 28 hz for each box. then posibly throwing in two mags or two fi q 12's (powered off 2500d or 20.1 or saz-1500D). does this sound like a good idea? i was also thinkin of using my whole trunk as an enclosure, just making a baffle at the fold down seat opening and sticking two 15's in there or one 18" and seal the whole trunk up, then somehow calculate the volume of the trunk and tune the ports accordingly... i really like this idea but i dunno how well it would work... your input is greatly appreciated.

Volenti
12-13-2006, 02:30 AM
The boot isn't a good enough "box" for your second idea to work, your first approach with the dual 12'' enclosures is a far better option.

darren700
12-13-2006, 06:16 AM
yea i knew thatd be a long shot.. ill probably just end up going with the dual 12's im just hoping that dual 12" mags or dual 12" q's with 2500watts will be louder than the 15" mag in 3.5cu ft @ 28hz firing to back of trunk with 1200watts was

Wowimzz
12-13-2006, 06:30 AM
ok, right now i have just some 6x9's and a deck in my 97 cavalier 2 door. i have a set of cdt hd-62/m6 components, and eventually i plan on putting a system back in. so far i plan to use a merlin md23 for the components.. for the bass im still on the drawing board, i was considering making two sepeate boxes at 2.2 cu ft each that are 15.5 x 16 x 28 deep and sliding them in next to eachother in the trunk with 2 12" subs facing into the cabin from the fold down seat opening.. will seal the trunk from the cabin by fiberglassing wood to the frame... i was thinking either doing that so i have 2.2 cu ft at 28 hz for each box. then posibly throwing in two mags or two fi q 12's (powered off 2500d or 20.1 or saz-1500D). does this sound like a good idea? i was also thinkin of using my whole trunk as an enclosure, just making a baffle at the fold down seat opening and sticking two 15's in there or one 18" and seal the whole trunk up, then somehow calculate the volume of the trunk and tune the ports accordingly... i really like this idea but i dunno how well it would work... your input is greatly appreciated.

Your second Idea is called an Infinite Baffle. The ID q's and ava's were good for these types of installs. Search for REQ, or gcadidas-not quite sure on the spelling of his name, but both of them have pictures in thier sigs of an infinite baffle setup. I dont think you typcially use ports with these setups, as your main goal for it to sound good is sealing the entire baffle around your trunk.

darren700
12-13-2006, 07:39 AM
yes i know what infinate baffle is, i dont want that, i wanted to essentially use the whole trunk as a box and port through the rear deck