PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading 4" fronts? or no? Help Please!

Jake95
12-11-2006, 11:13 PM
So, i have 4" pioneers and other 6.5" speakers running off my head unit. The 6.5 sound fine, but when the volume is turned up, the fronts sound really bad. they have a low power handling, and i want to get new speakers. So my options in my mind are to get new 4" speakers although there are not many options, or cut a 5.25" hole for 5 1/4" speakers. The problem is taht i cant go bigger than that, but "should" be able to get 5.25" in a new drilled hole. The only problem is that the front speakers arent in a door panel, but just a speaker grill that has a diameter of 6". This is why i believe that i can cut a 5.25 hole. The thing is that i need some leeway so taht the 6" grill can fit.
My main question is that if this is all worth it to get some 5.25 in speakers off the HU, or if i should just get some new 4" speakers to run. I need some nice clear and loud speakers to put in, but i dont have enought money to upgrade to an amp. i would like some possitive output on what to do, and not to get a new amp... This might be in the far future, but not now.

I will post some pics shortly of what my front situation looks like. Its a little hard to deal with, but it should be fun, and i'd like some experienced output. thanks a million in advance

Dunerider5
12-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Amp instead of new speakers, assuming the current speakers are in decent condition. If you can give us the model #'s or the rms power handling im sure we could help you find an amp within your budget.

Jake95
12-12-2006, 12:03 AM
well, i have an amp that is an a/b class; good for speakers, that is pushing subs, and i woul dprobably get a new sub amp, and im thinking a power acoustik, but the fronts push about 20rms, and the rears hit at; what it says 2-55rms, which is crappy (sony's) but my main Q, is, should i upgrade the size in front?
i mean, there are some good options for new 4", like alpine, infiniti, kicker, Ma audio, kenwood, power acoustik, all on etronics, for pretty cheap
(trying to size my pics from the current set up)

lamont1
12-12-2006, 12:28 AM
well, i have an amp that is an a/b class; good for speakers, that is pushing subs, and i woul dprobably get a new sub amp, and im thinking a power acoustik, but the fronts push about 20rms, and the rears hit at; what it says 2-55rms, which is crappy (sony's) but my main Q, is, should i upgrade the size in front?
i mean, there are some good options for new 4", like alpine, infiniti, kicker, Ma audio, kenwood, power acoustik, all on etronics, for pretty cheap
(trying to size my pics from the current set up)

i would just try and find some good 4'' speakers that will take more power.it might be hard to find them

brocken
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I'd be interested in some good 4" speakers. Don't know if you can get much out of something that size. I have a new car and the dang door speakers are 4". I really want to upgrade but didn't think there would be anything worthwhile I could fit in there.

WLDock
12-13-2006, 02:08 PM
1.) Would be good to know what vehical you have?
2.) ALWAYS go with the largest driver you can.
3.) Always add an amp for better sound, clarity, dynamics, etc.

Jake95
12-13-2006, 10:21 PM
yeah, i have a toyota tercel,
and i cant afford an amp right now, but am working on it

headless
12-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Amps are cheap. 50$ for an eclipse EA2212, i just saw for sale on the forums today. 2x50w. Ta-da, amplified. Way better than a deck, that's for sure. You would likely hear more of a difference from that than new speakers,

brocken
12-14-2006, 10:54 AM
anybody know of good 4" speakers?
I have a BMW and all the door speakers are 4". There's no way I'm cutting and modifying the doors to fit something bigger.
I either will leave the stock speakers or put in some good components and an amp. I just don't know if it will be worthwhile to upgrade that small of speakers. Under the seat are some 8" speakers. I think they're supposed to be subs but they mostly fill in the midbass.

Jake95
12-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Amps are cheap. 50$ for an eclipse EA2212, i just saw for sale on the forums today. 2x50w. Ta-da, amplified. Way better than a deck, that's for sure. You would likely hear more of a difference from that than new speakers,

really!>? wow, well, i guess im used to looking at sub amos, yeah maybe i should just upgrade to that