PDA

View Full Version : enclosure gurus & sketchup needed

stayTUNED
12-10-2006, 02:12 PM
We all love the peaks a ported box can provide but Ive recently made the switch from ported to sealed because I like all music and sometimes having just monstrous lows is useless.
So what if we came up with a box, slot port with 1 (or more) complete bends. The port extends from top to bottom on the box. Theoretically, there has to be a way of making the inner wall of the port 2 ply (1 fixed) and having an actuator inside the box extend the port for you. If theres a way to make the actuator pulse instead of fully extending we could get multiple tunes with the setup instead of just 2.
Tracks can be ran by doubling the MDF top & bottom of the box or maybe getting away with routing lines in some 1 inch, would have to find the right tracks though.

PowerNaudio
12-10-2006, 04:12 PM
another way that you can get a change in tuning freq. and a more accurate and pre-predicted tuning. with minimal mechanical equipment inside the enclosure, is by having for example 4 ports in the enclosure all the same length. then having only one of the ports open to get the lowest tuning of the enclosure and all 4 to get the highest tuned enclosure or even turn the ported enclosure into a sealed enclosure, making sure that the port area is big enough to keep port noise down when on a single port, and to change the tuning freq youll open the ports individualy from the inside with some sort of actuator, which will increase the tuning freq every time you open a port by a good 5Hz to 10Hz every time you open a port. so you can go from having a 25Hz tuned enclosure to a 45Hz tuned enclosure.

saywhat?
12-10-2006, 04:15 PM
uhhh it wouldnt work. extending the wall would leave a gap....

Immacomputer
12-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Or you can build an ABC/DCTV enclosure and have two tuning frequencies. My results with this was rather disappointing though. There wasn't a peak around the second tuning but really just added cone control.

stayTUNED
12-11-2006, 01:14 AM
uhhh it wouldnt work. extending the wall would leave a gap....

not when the inner wall of the port is 2 ply with the inner ply(?) being able to roll. The box would need a good depth for it to really be worth it. There would be 1/2" speedbump in the port though (using 1/2" MDF for that particular port wall), but edging it can cure that I think.

stayTUNED
12-13-2006, 11:57 PM
its rough working with 4 ports, they would have to be pretty long?
Im interested in trying this out, but I would have to make sure I can get an actuator to pulse so the port can extend in ~ 1" incriments.
I dont even think tracks are needed, routing 1/2" line maybe 1/4" deep in the other panels should be good enough for the port wall to slide.
When the port extends it should have more impact lowering the tune because net volume drops?
I would appreciate it alot if someone who has sketchup skills help a brotha out.