PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan problem!

89montero
12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Today I got up to find the electric cooling fan (one between the grill and radiator) was running on my 89 Mitsubishi montero. How do I fix it? I had to unbolt the battery to get it to stop. This happened last year but after sitting in my driveway for a few days with the battery unplugged it fixed itself.

The only thing I can think of is that I drove down this dirt road about 4 days ago with some pretty deep "puddles". Last year I drove down this road countless times when it was flooded with no problem but when I had this problem last year it happened the day after one of the times I drove down this road.
Could I have messed up some switch last year and now it's really sensitive to water?

Please reply, I need to fix this today, I need to be able to drive tomorrow.

Thanks,
Colin

Lunchbocks
12-10-2006, 02:58 PM
I'd say trace down the wiring and see if you have any breaks that might be causing a short to ground or something like that. If it comes down to it and you can't find the issue, you could always install a manual switch for the fan.

phantom240
12-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Your problem is simple. Trust me on this one. There is a relay or whatever the controls the fan's on/off operations. What happens more often than not (especially mitsubishi motors) is that this relay or fan controller i forgot what its called, goes bad and allows the fan to operate full time. Happened in my brother in law's sebring as well. It should be in the fusebox/relay box under the hood btw.