PDA

View Full Version : Help new speakers lost mids and bass

ccaps83
12-09-2006, 02:17 AM
my mind is blown. Idk what happened i changed my old speakers for new ones with polk db675 mainly because they arent very expensive and they had unbelievable reviews everywhere on the web. Yet everything every single person claimed which was hundreds of people i dont have. My old speakers had wayyy more mids and even lows!!! what happened i double checked wires for out of phase and they arent? Is this because there fresh from box give a few days to warm up break in?

ravendarat
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Try reversing a set of leads even though you know they arent outta phase, mabye something is just not labeled properly on the speaker, wouldnt be the first time I saw that.

mlstrass
12-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Running Polk dB650's in the GF's car, bought on all the great reviews and I'm LESS than impressed with them. I've literally spent 20+ hours trying to tune them and they still ****. Luckily she's not that fussy, so anything better than stock is fine for her.

Might just be the speakers....

ccaps83
12-09-2006, 02:32 AM
me 2 i have a nice headunit too its 31 rms little more powerful these speakers have no bass it drives me nuts i had these old beat to hell infinitys and they sounded soo much better i cant believe it because these speakers got insane reviews i cant count how many times i read people say u wont believe the bass or it sounds like i have a 8 inch it blows my mind

Suomi
12-09-2006, 03:39 AM
How much power are sending them? If they're running on just HU power then they won't sound too great. They need upwards of 50 watts rms to sound very good at all, and really should have closer to 100 watts rms.

MBrock4u
12-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Humm, interesting. The Polk db's really are not ment for deep mid bass. They are more designed for smooth highs and clairity. I run momo's for front stage, and they provide a adaquete amount of mid bass. They have fabulous clarity and very smooth highs. I complement the front stage with the db1000 tweeters. For me its a beautful front stage set up. I have other speakers to provied more mid bass and of course a sub for the low end.

ccaps83
12-09-2006, 11:20 AM
well you are right about the smooth crisp highs but for the power comment that doesnt make sense i had old polks in there which is what produced the mids and lows so why would new ones do the same there wasnt a power rating difference of more than 10 rms which i know is something but idk? ive heard a couple people say over time they warm up and will get a little more mid to them but ive never heard of that before?

ccaps83
12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
my car is a 96 so its older question will the clarity sound any better if i reran all the factory wires with top quality higher guage wire or any benefit at all?

mlstrass
12-09-2006, 12:10 PM
You'll definitely gain by amping them. I'm pushing 80x4 to 2 sets in her car, but still not that impressed.

I didn't expect a lot of midbass, but they sound hollow. No full rich sound like I expected. I also think the tweeters are borderline harsh at times. Ended up EQ'ing them to -1 to tame them down some.

I'll probably throw a couple of pairs of REV's in there when I get the time and $$$. Running those in my car for rear fill and they're amazing sounding, especially for the $$$.

Since you're only pushing HU power I doubt a wire upgrade would make much of a difference.

Get a budget Profile amp, factory direct refurbs are dirt cheap and pretty solid quality.

rocky 59
12-09-2006, 12:13 PM
You'll definitely gain by amping them. I'm pushing 80x4 to 2 sets in her car, but still not that impressed.

I didn't expect a lot of midbass, but they sound hollow. No full rich sound like I expected. I also think the tweeters are borderline harsh at times. Ended up EQ'ing them to -1 to tame them down some.

I'll probably throw a couple of pairs of REV's in there when I get the time and $$$. Running those in my car for rear fill and they're amazing sounding, especially for the $$$.

Since you're only pushing HU power I doubt a wire upgrade would make much of a difference.

Get a budget Profile amp, factory direct refurbs are dirt cheap and pretty solid quality.

for your gf car go with the dayton refs. cost you around 70 shipped and there great IB